I keep trying to get a BHA-1 but no luck so far. And those that have heard both won't talk. Sigh.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Burson HA160 vs SPL Auditor Last post on 8/17/11 at 8:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- REVIEW : Burson Audio HA-160 with listening impressions Last post on 12/2/13 at 7:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- D7000, decision... Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson HA-160 users: What are your favorite cans? Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is the Beyerdynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier worth the $750 price tag, today? Last post on 3/10/14 at 3:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Headphone Impedance
burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
But I no longer have access to a Soloist :-(
I saw some reports that were critical of the circuit design used in the BHA-1. Nevertheless it is a competitor and a worthwhile comparison. Hopefully someone will be able to compare these two at some point soon and be willing to talk. Having said that, if one was clearly better than the other I suspect we would have heard from someone by now.
Terrible pun aborted.
In other news... Still think the Soloist is the best solid state amp in production. I reserve to change my mind when my B22 and GS-X arrive. Though having had a balanced B22 and single ended GS-1 before... I expect them to lose.
Joy of being an audiophile /facepalm
The three are voiced similar but as you move from WA22 to B22 you gain a little control and the sound stage is less 3 blob and spread out. Moving from the B22 to the Soloist cranks up the clarity and stage focus. Also better extension into the sub bass. I haven't heard a better solid state amp yet. And while I preferred the Peak with the LCD-2/3, with the HD800 the Soloist is awesome.
You prefer Soloist to the legendary b22, that speaks a lot for Soloist. Makes me want b22 a little less.
How about vocals details, breadth, air? especially female on wa22, b22 and Soloist?
Same as above. Air, details and breath scale up as you go WA22 to B22 to Soloist. The B22 isn't bad it's just different. Staging makes things larger and less specific on the B22. Some may prefer that to the Soloist laser focused staging. Detail wise the Soloist is again sharper where the B22 is as detailed but either because its faster or has less 3rd harmonic distortion sounds more rounded and laid back.
Which is why I have my own B22 coming soon. Because while the Soloist's increased sharpness was obvious synergy for the LCDs, the B22's larger imaging and smoothed presentation may work better with the HD800 I use now. And it's a beauty =) This is rough shot from when we were rolling LED colours.
I don't have any headphones that need more power than a 2ch B22 can provide so... 2ch. SolderWorksAudio did the hands on and most of the part selection, I did the face feature set selection.
I am currently using a Musical Fidelity V-Can II to drive my JH16 FreqPhase IEMs.
The minimum volume (once you get to the point where there is volume is both ears) is quite loud.
I am therefore only able to listen for short periods of time.
So I am looking for new headphone amp, and the new Soloist SL looks very interesting.
Has anyone tested it with the JH16 FreqPhase, which has a sensitivity of 118db and an impedance of 18 ohms, or similar low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs?
Is it able to produce a low volume?
Also, has anyone tested the Soloist vs the Soloist SL? The only difference that I see is the volume control (ALPS vs 24 stepped attenuator).
Will this have a noticeable effect on the sound quality?
- burson new soloist headphone amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NAD Viso HP20 In-Ear 3 seconds ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 24 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 39 seconds ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 42 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › . 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › ($40) TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob