I keep trying to get a BHA-1 but no luck so far. And those that have heard both won't talk. Sigh.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Burson HA160 vs SPL Auditor Last post on 8/17/11 at 8:35pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- REVIEW : Burson Audio HA-160 with listening impressions Last post on 12/2/13 at 7:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- D7000, decision... Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson HA-160 users: What are your favorite cans? Last post on 9/16/12 at 8:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is the Beyerdynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier worth the $750 price tag, today? Last post on 3/10/14 at 3:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Headphone Impedance
burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
But I no longer have access to a Soloist :-(
I saw some reports that were critical of the circuit design used in the BHA-1. Nevertheless it is a competitor and a worthwhile comparison. Hopefully someone will be able to compare these two at some point soon and be willing to talk. Having said that, if one was clearly better than the other I suspect we would have heard from someone by now.
Terrible pun aborted.
In other news... Still think the Soloist is the best solid state amp in production. I reserve to change my mind when my B22 and GS-X arrive. Though having had a balanced B22 and single ended GS-1 before... I expect them to lose.
Joy of being an audiophile /facepalm
The three are voiced similar but as you move from WA22 to B22 you gain a little control and the sound stage is less 3 blob and spread out. Moving from the B22 to the Soloist cranks up the clarity and stage focus. Also better extension into the sub bass. I haven't heard a better solid state amp yet. And while I preferred the Peak with the LCD-2/3, with the HD800 the Soloist is awesome.
You prefer Soloist to the legendary b22, that speaks a lot for Soloist. Makes me want b22 a little less.
How about vocals details, breadth, air? especially female on wa22, b22 and Soloist?
Same as above. Air, details and breath scale up as you go WA22 to B22 to Soloist. The B22 isn't bad it's just different. Staging makes things larger and less specific on the B22. Some may prefer that to the Soloist laser focused staging. Detail wise the Soloist is again sharper where the B22 is as detailed but either because its faster or has less 3rd harmonic distortion sounds more rounded and laid back.
Which is why I have my own B22 coming soon. Because while the Soloist's increased sharpness was obvious synergy for the LCDs, the B22's larger imaging and smoothed presentation may work better with the HD800 I use now. And it's a beauty =) This is rough shot from when we were rolling LED colours.
I don't have any headphones that need more power than a 2ch B22 can provide so... 2ch. SolderWorksAudio did the hands on and most of the part selection, I did the face feature set selection.
I am currently using a Musical Fidelity V-Can II to drive my JH16 FreqPhase IEMs.
The minimum volume (once you get to the point where there is volume is both ears) is quite loud.
I am therefore only able to listen for short periods of time.
So I am looking for new headphone amp, and the new Soloist SL looks very interesting.
Has anyone tested it with the JH16 FreqPhase, which has a sensitivity of 118db and an impedance of 18 ohms, or similar low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs?
Is it able to produce a low volume?
Also, has anyone tested the Soloist vs the Soloist SL? The only difference that I see is the volume control (ALPS vs 24 stepped attenuator).
Will this have a noticeable effect on the sound quality?
- burson new soloist headphone amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Ghentaudio Cables - Impressions & Opinions. (First impressions &... 10 seconds ago
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 25 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Full size headphones for movie watching 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)