Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 44

post #646 of 1167

I know I am in the Burson thread but want to know some opinions on the following. I have my Beyer T1's coming next week. I can pick up a Beyer A1 for $650 new. The Burson is going to run me around $990. I have read great stuff on both amps. Would the Burson really be that huge of an improvement over the A1? $650 is a really nice number for me.

post #647 of 1167

I have not heard the DACmini at all.  Nothing I read really got me thinking I'd drop the W4S DAC-2 for it.  I'm not a huge fan of mixed products.  For the LCD-3, I liked the Apex Peak, Schiit Mjolnir or though not ideal the next one would be the Soloist.  DAC wise, the W4S really wasn't up to snuff.  The Metrum Octave was better, the PS PWD2 better still.  The joke is with my monster head the softer pads were less comfortable because they crush right to the wood on me.  When I asked Audeze for LCD-2 pads and headband they pointed me to the accessory shop.  Others have had the same 'problem' where Audeze is now very interested in monetizing anything they can where before they would take care of you.

post #648 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

It's all about reference.  My LCD-3 was the latest and greatest from June 2012.  Compared to the HD800 the LCD-3 is dynamic.  Compared to the LCD-2 it isn't.  So for me the list of amps you can use with the LCD-3 to restore life is very short, where the list of amps that work with the LCD-2 is huge and about the only ones not on the list are the one's that are LCD-3 approved.

 

The big 'problem' with the LCD-3 is the extra energy in the 1-2KHz range which happens to be the whack/tinny range which gives them a greyish noisy character.  It's pretty much unique to the LCD-3 and I think there is a reason for that.

I  agree with Solude.

 

 

I like the lcd3, but I think that even though they both have a very similar sound and keep the audeze sound signature, the differences are sufficient to create fans for both of them.

post #649 of 1167

Unrelated... I love reading your posts Dan =)

post #650 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Unrelated... I love reading your posts Dan =)

Thanks man biggrin.gif . I am one of your followers by the way.  I think we may have similar tastes and you are a lot further ahead as experience :D .

post #651 of 1167

Thanks Solude!  

 

I, too, am developing a taste for separate rather than integrated components.  I don't need the DACmini's amp at the moment, and I can understand how, equipped with a PS PWD2, you would find little appeal in getting the DACmini's DAC.  redface.gif

 

Getting back on topic (it's my fault that we digressed), is it safe for me to assume that the Soloist is in the running as an amp for the LCD-3, "though not idea," because the Soloist isn't bright enough and/or detailed enough (traits of the Apex Peak and Schiit Mjolnir that distinguish them from the Soloist)?

 

I think I've finished my interrogation...   biggrin.gif

 

Mike

post #652 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post

I  agree with Solude.

 

 

I like the lcd3, but I think that even though they both have a very similar sound and keep the audeze sound signature, the differences are sufficient to create fans for both of them.

 

 

Thanks Dan!  I read your article at the link and can see your impressions of the LCD-3 do align well with Solude's comments.  You guys are making me less and less interested in the LCD-3 for use with the Soloist (despite what Skylab says).  To each his own, of course.

 

Mike

post #653 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

 

Thanks Dan!  I read your article at the link and can see your impressions of the LCD-3 do align well with Solude's comments.  You guys are making me less and less interested in the LCD-3 for use with the Soloist (despite what Skylab says).  To each his own, of course.

 

Mike

My impressions were similar on M2Tech Vaughan as well, not only on Soloist.

There are people who are clearly in favour of LCD3. You should still listen them both if you have the chance.


Edited by dan.gheorghe - 1/27/13 at 11:03am
post #654 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Getting back on topic (it's my fault that we digressed), is it safe for me to assume that the Soloist is in the running as an amp for the LCD-3, "though not ideal" because the Soloist isn't bright enough and/or detailed enough (traits of the Apex Peak and Schiit Mjolnir that distinguish them from the Soloist)?

 

The only thing keeping from being ideal for me is the dynamics or aggression.  The Peak and more so the Mjolnir are very aggressive amps.  A lot of people consider the Peak harsh and I found the Mjolnir to have even more swing.

 

On technicals the Soloist has better clarity and resolution than either just not the swing.

 

I just finished my Soloist v First Watt F3 comparison on my new LCD-2 and compared to each other, the Soloist has the bigger swing.  It's also harder sounding overall.

 

I need to get my notes together but all that to say while the Peak delivered ideal dynamics for me with the LCD-3, on the LCD-2 the Soloist is fine if maybe a little too much.

post #655 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post

My impressions were similar on M2Tech Vaughan as well, not only on Soloist.

There are people who are clearly in favour of LCD3. You should still listen them both if you have the chance.

 

I'll stay open-minded, as you are!  I will have a chance to hear Soloist + LCD-3 at the Austin, Texas meet on March 2nd.   

 

Mike

post #656 of 1167

Since I've exhausted my search in Audeze and Senn land, and the HE-5LE is the can that got me started down the ortho path, I wonder if I should snag an HE-500 or HE-6 next to wrap things up in dynamics land?

post #657 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Since I've exhausted my search in Audeze and Senn land, and the HE-5LE is the can that got me started down the ortho path, I wonder if I should snag an HE-500 or HE-6 next to wrap things up in dynamics land?

 

Solude, that's exactly what I thought ... what to try next, especially with the amps you have/will have shortly

post #658 of 1167

The other option is to pop back to Stax land.  Problem with that is... then it's over.  You buy that can and that amp and you are done.  No where to go.

post #659 of 1167

Has anyone used the HE-500 with the Soloist?

post #660 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Has anyone used the HE-500 with the Soloist?

 

Give me a week :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp