Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 27

post #391 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Actually, they already know this issue very very well.

 

But it's the risk of using the attenuator volume pot, it just can't help. (Well actually contact cleaner can help tongue.gif )

 

OK, so this is "working as designed" or and there's no need for someone with this problem to request warranty work, because they'll just tell you to spray contact cleaner on it.

 

Well, at least I know not to waste my time complaining about it if I have the problem.

 

Thanks!

 

Mike

post #392 of 1167

Actually they never told me to spray contact cleaner to my Burson; it's my friend that told me that at the first :)

post #393 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Actually they never told me to spray contact cleaner to my Burson; it's my friend that told me that at the first :)

 

What did they tell you to do?

post #394 of 1167

Yes, what did they say?

 

Has anyone else spoken with Burson about this problem?

 

I've only recently ordered the Soloist, so I'm more interested in how Burson has handled a person who has actually experienced the problem, than calling them myself and saying... "Hey, I've heard about this problem that some other people are having..."

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

post #395 of 1167

I told them I have problem with the volume pot, but already fixed it by using contact cleaner. (I sent my review via email to them, also wrote in here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/burson-ha-160d )

 

After they read it, then they give me this respon:

 

Quote:
We value your feedback and will research into ways to further refine its volume control. 

 

Well, actually they were not only just saying that in email as we also talk other topics too, but I think that related to my complain is only that words above.


Edited by TheMiddleSky - 11/25/12 at 8:52pm
post #396 of 1167
Thanks for the details!

Mike
post #397 of 1167

Just got in my Soloist today from Moon Audio.

 

My immediate impression is that it's extremely unlikely I'm going to be keeping the amp. Not that it's bad or anything, it's definitely a solid-sounding amp with especially strong mid-bass. But using my Audio-Technica AD2000, I couldn't help but notice that the amp lacks the impulse response to keep up with the headphones' capability. Or in other words, it slows down the AD2K's impulse response - which is completely unacceptable to me. I also find the amp to be semi-plodgy, lacking the extreme tightness that can be had with the HeadAmp amps.

 

The amp also makes an attempt to balance out the AD2K's sound signature, which is also unacceptable to me. I don't need or want an amp to add either mid-bass quantity or pull back the AD2K's forward mid-range, which the Soloist does. I like the AD2K exactly the way it is.

 

Will most likely be moving back to a HeadAmp amp which won't have the impulse response issue.


Edited by Asr - 11/30/12 at 2:29pm
post #398 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

Just got in my Soloist today from Moon Audio.

 

My immediate impression is that it's extremely unlikely I'm going to be keeping the amp. Not that it's bad or anything, it's definitely a solid-sounding amp with especially strong mid-bass. But using my Audio-Technica AD2000, I couldn't help but notice that the amp lacks the impulse response to keep up with the headphones' capability. Or in other words, it slows down the AD2K's impulse response - which is completely unacceptable to me. I also find the amp to be semi-plodgy, lacking the extreme tightness that can be had with the HeadAmp amps.

 

The amp also makes an attempt to balance out the AD2K's sound signature, which is also unacceptable to me. I don't need or want an amp to add either mid-bass quantity or pull back the AD2K's forward mid-range, which the Soloist does. I like the AD2K exactly the way it is.

 

Will most likely be moving back to a HeadAmp amp which won't have the impulse response issue.

 

How did you conclude this? Have you heard the AD2000 with another amp which provides a better impulse response?

post #399 of 1167

Asr,

 

That's a shame the Soloist doesn't play well with your AD2000.  

 

I'm hoping the Soloist will have better synergy with the LCD-2, but my Moon-Audio order hasn't shipped yet because they're out of stock (even though they still show it in stock on their web page.)

 

Hey... wait a minute.  I hope they ship me mine before you return yours!  

 

tongue.gif

 

Mike

post #400 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post
How did you conclude this? Have you heard the AD2000 with another amp which provides a better impulse response?

 

Did you miss the part in my post where I mentioned the HeadAmp amps? I had no complaints with the Gilmore Lite and GS-X, for example. The truth is, I've found that most of the amps I've heard slow down the AD2K even if very marginally, and the Soloist is now one of them too. It's only slight, but very noticeable to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
That's a shame the Soloist doesn't play well with your AD2000.  

 

I'm hoping the Soloist will have better synergy with the LCD-2, but my Moon-Audio order hasn't shipped yet because they're out of stock (even though they still show it in stock on their web page.)

 

Hey... wait a minute.  I hope they ship me mine before you return yours!

 

I should add that the AD2K sounds very good overall with the Soloist, and most people probably wouldn't complain about anything. I'm only speaking relatively from my experience with the Dynalo-based amps from HeadAmp.

 

Can't return a discounted item to Moon Audio actually, so I'll just be selling it later.

post #401 of 1167

I didn't find the Soloist slow since it presented complete detail and resolution but did find it very dead sounding.

post #402 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

Did you miss the part in my post where I mentioned the HeadAmp amps? I had no complaints with the Gilmore Lite and GS-X, for example. The truth is, I've found that most of the amps I've heard slow down the AD2K even if very marginally, and the Soloist is now one of them too. It's only slight, but very noticeable to me.

 

 

 

No, I was just not quite sure whether you were talking about those amps with the AD2K or some other cans. Thanks you for making that clear. I believe those HeadAmp amps are very hard to beat. Just out of interest, is there anything out there that you feel is significantly better than the HeadAmp amps?


Edited by Hooster - 11/30/12 at 6:32pm
post #403 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 Just out of interest, is there anything out there that you feel is significantly better than the HeadAmp amps?

 

 

popcorn.gif

post #404 of 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I didn't find the Soloist slow since it presented complete detail and resolution but did find it very dead sounding.

 

Indeed and I disagree that it pushes mid-bass or restrains mid-range either. To me it is an extremely neutral headphone amplifier with almost no colouration or identifying sonic signature at all. In this sense, this is probably where you got the "dead" sounding impression. However it suits me very well, as having headphones like the LCD-3 mean the last thing you want is anything else in the chain adding their own "colour".

 

Obviously any headphone, or amplifier has its own likers and haters. If there was a one size fits all, we would all have the same kit!

post #405 of 1167

Might be new to the thread.  The Soloist is my second favourite amp ;)  What separates it from my favourite is the Peak's better bass extension and dynamics.  But the Soloist is still better than the rest of my profile.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp