Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 22

post #316 of 1175

Muhahaha you know you want new toys cool.gif

post #317 of 1175

Is anyone using the soloist with a Metrum Octave? I noticed this pairing in a picture a few pages back and was wondering if they compliment each other well.

post #318 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by autarch1 View Post

Is anyone using the soloist with a Metrum Octave? I noticed this pairing in a picture a few pages back and was wondering if they compliment each other well.

 

You must be talking about my setup. The Metrum Octave is a very neutral sounding DAC, so it works well with a wide range of amps. The Soloist seems to add more body to the music, especially in the mids and bass.

post #319 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View PostThe Soloist seems to add more body to the music, especially in the mids and bass.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

post #320 of 1175

So far the soloist has proven to be a very capable amp with all my headphones. Its going beyond my expectations. 

 

Im planning to buy the HE-6's soon. 

post #321 of 1175

On my way to pick up my soloist at the store!, did just arrive, one of few in Sweden at the moment. gs1000.gif

 

Let the burn-in with TH900 begin! very_evil_smiley.gif

post #322 of 1175

Have listened to the Soloist with a wast portfolio. The Burson is good, but not spectacular. I would emphasize the Soloist and the LCD-3 as a combo.

 

HE-6? Hm. I would bet my money on something else to maximize those exact HiFiMANs.

 

V200 and LCD-2? Oh - yes. It still rocks. Combo no. 1.

post #323 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Have listened to the Soloist with a wast portfolio. The Burson is good, but not spectacular. I would emphasize the Soloist and the LCD-3 as a combo.

 

HE-6? Hm. I would bet my money on something else to maximize those exact HiFiMANs.

 

V200 and LCD-2? Oh - yes. It still rocks. Combo no. 1.

 

V200 and LCD-2 are a match made in heaven, I agree with you on that. But have you really tried HE-6 with the Soloist, and you didn't like it? I found the Soloist (in its high gain setting) to be one of the best amps I've heard with the HE-6. I've tried the HE-6 with other amps that can supposedly drive it with plenty of efficiency, but the Soloist was just perfect in terms of clarity, musicality, and finesse.

post #324 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

I found the Soloist (in its high gain setting) to be one of the best amps I've heard with the HE-6. I've tried the HE-6 with other amps that can supposedly drive it with plenty of efficiency, but the Soloist was just perfect in terms of clarity, musicality, and finesse.

 

 

While I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  I would agree with Lovehagen on this one.  With the -  "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms" That's not nearly enough to drive to HE-6s to it's full potential.  Theres not many Headphone amps that can actually drive the HE-6 like they need to be.  Dark Star, EF-6, B22.  Maybe.. 

 

IMHO they need a speaker amp.  I'm using mono blocks on these bad boys.  They sound totally different and way better than on my 4-channel Full balanced B22.

 

I have not heard the Dark Star or the EF-6.  I have a buddy who took his B24 to a meet he and others that were there said the B24 crushed the Dark Star with the HE-6s.

 

I'm just saying,,

post #325 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

While I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  I would agree with Lovehagen on this one.  With the -  "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms" That's not nearly enough to drive to HE-6s to it's full potential.  Theres not many Headphone amps that can actually drive the HE-6 like they need to be.  Dark Star, EF-6, B22.  Maybe.. 

 

Cmon boys, 

 

I think i'll quote this guy from the HE-6 thread:

 

 

 

Quote:
The HE6's need power, quality and synergy not just power.
post #326 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

While I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  I would agree with Lovehagen on this one.  With the -  "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms" That's not nearly enough to drive to HE-6s to it's full potential.  

Sorry, but for me that's a ridiculous statement tongue.gif

post #327 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Sorry, but for me that's a ridiculous statement tongue.gif

 

 

Care to explain why you think that? angry_face.gif

post #328 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

While I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  I would agree with Lovehagen on this one.  With the -  "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms" That's not nearly enough to drive to HE-6s to it's full potential.  Theres not many Headphone amps that can actually drive the HE-6 like they need to be.  Dark Star, EF-6, B22.  Maybe.. 

 

IMHO they need a speaker amp.  I'm using mono blocks on these bad boys.  They sound totally different and way better than on my 4-channel Full balanced B22.

 

I have not heard the Dark Star or the EF-6.  I have a buddy who took his B24 to a meet he and others that were there said the B24 crushed the Dark Star with the HE-6s.

 

I'm just saying,,

 

I beg to differ with you there, considering I've actually heard the HE-6 with various amps including Schiit Lyr, EF-6, Dark Star and Soloist. I was already fully aware that the low sensitivity of HE-6 makes it a very picky headphone that could only be driven by a few amps with enough power. The Schiit Lyr was the first amp that actually sounded good with the HE-6. Of course, the Dark Star completely blew it away in all aspects.

 

When I purchased the Soloist, I was a bit skeptical as to whether it would be sufficient enough to drive the HE-6. But when I actually plugged it in and played it at Soloist's high gain setting, it actually sounded *very* good, much better than the Lyr, nearly rivaling the performance of the Dark Star IMO. Still, I favor the Dark Star (in balanced configuration) for the HE-6 by a small margin, due to its larger spacious soundstage. However, performance for price the Soloist is a killer. I would seriously recommend the Soloist to any HE-6 user not willing to spend more than $2,000 on a headphone amp. From my memory, this setup definitely sounds better than the EF-6.

 

But you didn't hear that just from me. Srajan of 6moons favors the Soloist to the EF-6. In Mike's Headfonia review, he actually concluded that he favors the Soloist over the Dark Star for the HE-6, because despite its smaller soundstage and relative lack of clarity, it sounds more musical and enjoyable. Although I personally prefer a larger soundstage, I completely agree with him on the "musical" part.

 

Also, Steve Guttenberg of CNET also agrees that the Soloist can efficiently drive HE-6 well, and of course better than the HA-160.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57508400-47/the-burson-soloist-will-make-your-headphones-sound-better-than-ever/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=title&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cnet%2FpRza+%28Crave%29

 

'Nuff said.


Edited by songmic - 9/10/12 at 3:32am
post #329 of 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

I beg to differ with you there, considering I've actually heard the HE-6 with various amps including Schiit Lyr, EF-6, Dark Star and Soloist. I was already fully aware that the low sensitivity of HE-6 makes it a very picky headphone that could only be driven by a few amps with enough power. The Schiit Lyr was the first amp that actually sounded good with the HE-6. Of course, the Dark Star completely blew it away in all aspects.

 

When I purchased the Soloist, I was a bit skeptical as to whether it would be sufficient enough to drive the HE-6. But when I actually plugged it in and played it at Soloist's high gain setting, it actually sounded *very* good, much better than the Lyr, nearly rivaling the performance of the Dark Star IMO. Still, I favor the Dark Star (in balanced configuration) for the HE-6 by a small margin, due to its larger spacious soundstage. However, performance for price the Soloist is a killer. I would seriously recommend the Soloist to any HE-6 user not willing to spend more than $2,000 on a headphone amp. From my memory, this setup definitely sounds better than the EF-6.

 

But you didn't hear that just from me. Srajan of 6moons favors the Soloist to the EF-6. In Mike's Headfonia review, he actually concluded that he favors the Soloist over the Dark Star for the HE-6, because despite its smaller soundstage and relative lack of clarity, it sounds more musical and enjoyable. Although I personally prefer a larger soundstage, I completely agree with him on the "musical" part.

 

Also, Steve Guttenberg of CNET also agrees that the Soloist can efficiently drive HE-6 well, and of course better than the HA-160.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57508400-47/the-burson-soloist-will-make-your-headphones-sound-better-than-ever/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=title&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cnet%2FpRza+%28Crave%29

 

'Nuff said.

 

 

'Nuff said huh?  Well - I don't think so.  you or Mr. Steve Guttenberg must have never heard the HE-6 on a speaker amp.  Let me be clear on this.  I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  However, I've heard it on JUST ABOUT every other amp that's "said" to drive it well.  The Lyr and the EF-6 = NOT.  Yea you can get music and yea it can sound nice - but nice compared to what?  Please I just ask you to put the HE-6's on a speaker amp I promise you - you will indeed see what you been missing.  

 

My HE-6 journey:

 

Please keep in mind this is not about driving the HE-6s just to get music out them - this is about driving the HE-6s to it's full potential.  I got a B22 made with the intentions to use it with a pair of HE-6s.  I read so much about what amps can run power the HE-6 to optimal levels.  So I decided on a B22 set at 8X gain.  I had it set at 8X gain because I had other headphones as well that I wanted the amp to sound good with.  Got the B22 - got the HE-6, hooked them up - sounded good, so I thought.  well it sounded on par with my LCD-2.2's and my HD800 out of the B22.  I noticed the volume knob was at around 9 or 10 o'clock for all other headphones and the volume knob was at 10 or 11 o'clock with the HE-6.  so I tuned it up to the MAX to see what would happen.  No much, it got a little louder by that's it.  Lets also be clear here.  It's not about how loud it can get - I will explain.  I felt something was missing - how can a headphone take all this power and still be asking for more?  Well I got in contact with a couple of Head Fi'ers (Happy Camper and SoupRKnowva)  We put together a little HE-6 mini meet.  

 

Happy Camper bought over a pair of 125 watt Rotel mono blocks

SoupRKnowva bought over this exact amp a Monster of an amp:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/611385/amb-24-power-amplifier (DIY B24 speaker Amp gain set at 24X)

I had my B22.

 

So we all saw how the B22 struggled with the HE-6s.  Happy Camper said this is not how they are suppose to sound.  He went on to say notice the sound stage, listen how closed in it is.  Well to me it sounded normal, or on par with all my other headphones. I didn't know what I was missing.  Here is where it gets good.  

 

2nd - we put the HE-6s on the B24.  Man I tell you - the HE-6s sounded totally different - I was like WOW.  They sound better than all my other headphones now and we had lots of head room as well.  The HE-6 could not take all the B24 could give. Note:  SoupRKnowva also took this amp to a meet and did a side by side with a Dark Star - the out come was this B24 CRUSHED the Dark Star in how it sounded with the HE-6.  Lets be clear on this as well.  I was not there, this was the consensus from a number of people that was present and heard it - not just SoupRKowva.

 

3rd - we hooked the HE-6s up to the 125 watt Rotel mono blocks.  Just like the B24 they sounded great and way better than my B22.  the soundstage opened up tremendously and the music was more crisp and clear all around.  At this point you can really tell the difference between the speaker amps and my headphone amp (B22) - Yes it is a night and day difference between good quality speaker amps and head phone amps.

 

Now I said wait a sec. I have a few amps in the other room that's hooked up to my Home Theater System.  So they talked me into trying them out - other wise I was just going to sell my HE-6s because I didn't want to buy more gear just to drive these the correct way.

 

4th - we took my Emotiva UPA-2  (2 channel amp 200wpc) out and hooked up the HE-6s.  The UPA-2 also sounded way better than my B22 but not as good as the Rotels - they sounded on par with the B24 - it was hard to tell the difference between the two.

 

5th - I said hold up wait a minute - I have a pair of mono blocks my self.  I pulled out my 2 UPA-1 mono blocks @ 300wpc each.  Yes they took the show.  The Rotels sounded really good but the UPA-1s made the HE-6s sound like either of us heard them sound before.  

 

6th - Still curious I bought the Bryston BHA-1.  I kept up with the release of this amp because it was said by the sellers that this is the amp that cam drive the HE-6 the way they should be driven.  Got the amp - Happy Camper and I hooked up 2 pair of HE-6s his and mine.  The quality of the BHA-1 is top notch.  However, it didn't have enough power in the tank to drive the HE-6.  The volume knob was just about all the way to the max.  Not ideal.  - I sold it.

 

7th - Another meet  Lyr, EF-6 a different B22 all was at the meet.  To put it short all sounded like crap except the EF-6.  Well I'll say it had the power but the quality was lacking in a big way.  As for the Lyr,  If I had to pick between the Lyr and my B22 to drive the HE-6 - I'll pick my B22 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

 

8th - I hadn't had enough yet.  Happy Camper and I set out to the local Audio Store to test out some integrated amps with both our HE-6s.  Most of the Amp we listen to was by Sim Audio, their MOON series.

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon250i.htm

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon360D.htm

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon600i.htm

 

The first two was good but at those prices I'll take my $250 each UPA-1's any day.  Now the last one from the MOON Evolution series was day and nigh above what ever else we heard.  At only 125 wpc this amp was amazing.  the price on that amp was 8.5K.  No thank you.  But we got to see how good the HE-6 scales up with quality and not so much power.  

 

The point i'm trying to make is the HE-6s scales up AMAZINGLY to higher quality power like no other headphone can.  So if all you have ever heard the HE-6 on are headphone amps you have not done this headphone any justice.

 

"NOW  NUFF SAID"

 

post #330 of 1175

Quote:

Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

'Nuff said huh?  Well - I don't think so.  you or Mr. Steve Guttenberg must have never heard the HE-6 on a speaker amp.  Let me be clear on this.  I have not heard the Soloist with the HE-6.  However, I've heard it on JUST ABOUT every other amp that's "said" to drive it well.  The Lyr and the EF-6 = NOT.  Yea you can get music and yea it can sound nice - but nice compared to what?  Please I just ask you to put the HE-6's on a speaker amp I promise you - you will indeed see what you been missing.  

 

My HE-6 journey:

 

Please keep in mind this is not about driving the HE-6s just to get music out them - this is about driving the HE-6s to it's full potential.  I got a B22 made with the intentions to use it with a pair of HE-6s.  I read so much about what amps can run power the HE-6 to optimal levels.  So I decided on a B22 set at 8X gain.  I had it set at 8X gain because I had other headphones as well that I wanted the amp to sound good with.  Got the B22 - got the HE-6, hooked them up - sounded good, so I thought.  well it sounded on par with my LCD-2.2's and my HD800 out of the B22.  I noticed the volume knob was at around 9 or 10 o'clock for all other headphones and the volume knob was at 10 or 11 o'clock with the HE-6.  so I tuned it up to the MAX to see what would happen.  No much, it got a little louder by that's it.  Lets also be clear here.  It's not about how loud it can get - I will explain.  I felt something was missing - how can a headphone take all this power and still be asking for more?  Well I got in contact with a couple of Head Fi'ers (Happy Camper and SoupRKnowva)  We put together a little HE-6 mini meet.  

 

Happy Camper bought over a pair of 125 watt Rotel mono blocks

SoupRKnowva bought over this exact amp a Monster of an amp:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/611385/amb-24-power-amplifier (DIY B24 speaker Amp gain set at 24X)

I had my B22.

 

So we all saw how the B22 struggled with the HE-6s.  Happy Camper said this is not how they are suppose to sound.  He went on to say notice the sound stage, listen how closed in it is.  Well to me it sounded normal, or on par with all my other headphones. I didn't know what I was missing.  Here is where it gets good.  

 

2nd - we put the HE-6s on the B24.  Man I tell you - the HE-6s sounded totally different - I was like WOW.  They sound better than all my other headphones now and we had lots of head room as well.  The HE-6 could not take all the B24 could give. Note:  SoupRKnowva also took this amp to a meet and did a side by side with a Dark Star - the out come was this B24 CRUSHED the Dark Star in how it sounded with the HE-6.  Lets be clear on this as well.  I was not there, this was the consensus from a number of people that was present and heard it - not just SoupRKowva.

 

3rd - we hooked the HE-6s up to the 125 watt Rotel mono blocks.  Just like the B24 they sounded great and way better than my B22.  the soundstage opened up tremendously and the music was more crisp and clear all around.  At this point you can really tell the difference between the speaker amps and my headphone amp (B22) - Yes it is a night and day difference between good quality speaker amps and head phone amps.

 

Now I said wait a sec. I have a few amps in the other room that's hooked up to my Home Theater System.  So they talked me into trying them out - other wise I was just going to sell my HE-6s because I didn't want to buy more gear just to drive these the correct way.

 

4th - we took my Emotiva UPA-2  (2 channel amp 200wpc) out and hooked up the HE-6s.  The UPA-2 also sounded way better than my B22 but not as good as the Rotels - they sounded on par with the B24 - it was hard to tell the difference between the two.

 

5th - I said hold up wait a minute - I have a pair of mono blocks my self.  I pulled out my 2 UPA-1 mono blocks @ 300wpc each.  Yes they took the show.  The Rotels sounded really good but the UPA-1s made the HE-6s sound like either of us heard them sound before.  

 

6th - Still curious I bought the Bryston BHA-1.  I kept up with the release of this amp because it was said by the sellers that this is the amp that cam drive the HE-6 the way they should be driven.  Got the amp - Happy Camper and I hooked up 2 pair of HE-6s his and mine.  The quality of the BHA-1 is top notch.  However, it didn't have enough power in the tank to drive the HE-6.  The volume knob was just about all the way to the max.  Not ideal.  - I sold it.

 

7th - Another meet  Lyr, EF-6 a different B22 all was at the meet.  To put it short all sounded like crap except the EF-6.  Well I'll say it had the power but the quality was lacking in a big way.  As for the Lyr,  If I had to pick between the Lyr and my B22 to drive the HE-6 - I'll pick my B22 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

 

8th - I hadn't had enough yet.  Happy Camper and I set out to the local Audio Store to test out some integrated amps with both our HE-6s.  Most of the Amp we listen to was by Sim Audio, their MOON series.

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon250i.htm

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon360D.htm

 

http://www.simaudio.com/moon600i.htm

 

The first two was good but at those prices I'll take my $250 each UPA-1's any day.  Now the last one from the MOON Evolution series was day and nigh above what ever else we heard.  At only 125 wpc this amp was amazing.  the price on that amp was 8.5K.  No thank you.  But we got to see how good the HE-6 scales up with quality and not so much power.  

 

The point i'm trying to make is the HE-6s scales up AMAZINGLY to higher quality power like no other headphone can.  So if all you have ever heard the HE-6 on are headphone amps you have not done this headphone any justice.

 

"NOW  NUFF SAID"

 

 

The idea of driving HE-6 using speaker amps has never even occurred to me, but if what you say is true, then I suppose I haven't heard the real deal out of the HE-6 yet. However, I can't possibly imagine having a pair of huge monoblock power amps in my desktop headphone system - not because of the price, but because of their sizes. If I had enough room for those, I may as well listen to actual loudspeakers.

 

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you use speaker amps to drive headphones? My first assumption is that you must have used a dual 3-pin XLR balanced cable (for each monoblock), but how did you plug it to the speaker outputs of the UPA-1?. Other than some DYI work which I'm not capable of, is there, say, a "speaker outputs-to-3-pin XLR" adaptor to make this possible? Or any balanced aftermarket cables for the Hifiman that can directly plug into the speaker outs from both monoblocks?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp