Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

burson new soloist headphone amp - Page 3

post #31 of 1185

Also very interested though would have to use the Senn 800 stock cable since no 4pin XLR out.  Definitely more interested in the Schiit Mjolnir but the Soloist footprint is better by a long shot.  Also powerful enough this time for all but the HE-6 or for use as a Stax transformer box.

post #32 of 1185
Thread Starter 

 If you read bursons add.They mentioned that the sound of the new design was superior sounding to the ha-160 largely in part because there were less components in the signal path,which is very likely true from a purist point of view.I can see you objecting from the point of view that you are paying more money for less parts.But the transformer does appear to be much more substantial than the one in ha-160 amp.Also the power on offer is double that of the ha-160 so in effect you are not actually paying more for less in a sense.Performance wise you are getting 100 percent more power for a lot less than double the ha-160s price and on a dollar per watt basis the newer amp actually is a better deal on a dollar per watt basis.


Edited by buson160man - 6/26/12 at 10:27pm
post #33 of 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by buson160man View Post

 If you read bursons add.They mentioned that the sound of the new design was superior sounding to the ha-160 largely in part because there were less components in the signal path,which is very likely true from a purist point of view.I can see you objecting from the point of view that you are paying more money for less parts.But the transformer does appear to be much more substantial than the one in ha-160 amp.Also the power on offer is double that of the ha-160 so in effect you are not actually paying more for less in a sense.Performance wise you are getting 100 percent more power for a lot less than double the ha-160s price and on a dollar per watt basis the newer amp actually is a better deal on a dollar per watt basis.

 

But the electricity company provides the power and bills you for that alsobiggrin.gif  The US price doesn't seem to be that more than the HA-160 and I would be willing to tolerate a moderate increase in price but I guess it depends on how it compares against the competition at the new price point.  The whole less is more thing though was just ripe for the critique though.

post #34 of 1185

My math might be rusty but I think 4000mW is a whee bit more than twice 250mW ;)

post #35 of 1185

Well that was fast... http://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson9/1.html  Review is up!

post #36 of 1185

Those 6moons reviews are so hard to read. the flowery language combined with questionable grammar is a chore to get through...

 

But he liked it, and it seems like it could be a very good option for anyone considering the pricier EF6.

post #37 of 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

the flowery language combined with questionable grammar is a chore to get through...

 

 

lol at this

post #38 of 1185

Yep seems to still be a PRaT machine but with no grain this time out.  Between this and the Mjolnir its going to be a good month :D

post #39 of 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGF View Post

 

lol at this

 

you saying his reviews are easy to read? :P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Yep seems to still be a PRaT machine but with no grain this time out.  Between this and the Mjolnir its going to be a good month :D

 

if you end up getting these amps to try out, I’ll be looking forward to your comments with the LCD3.

post #40 of 1185

6moons definitely does not adhere to the use grade 6 English rule of journalism but his language is more specific than simply saying... bass, good ;)

post #41 of 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

you saying his reviews are easy to read? :P

 

 

After getting through a couple of his reviews you kinda get the flow of his mixed up writings, which are indeed flowery and a chore to read at times.

post #42 of 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGF View Post

 

After getting through a couple of his reviews you kinda get the flow of his mixed up writings, which are indeed flowery and a chore to read at times.

 

Haha, I was actually at one stage going to suggest making a compilation thread of some of the more...shall we say... esoteric sentences written at 6moons.

 

Here are a couple of gems from the EF6 review (all direct quotes);

 

 

 

 

 

"Whoa. If simpler really is muchos más betta as uncle Albert gets quoted so often, how could anyone beat that? Game over. Gaincard for lifetime office."

 

"Timbres are deeper particularly with more massively paralleled string sections. When the doublers are active during only certain passages, dynamic contrasts widen."

 

"Even so micro-power devotees might suspect the grotesque as though big muscle leads to coarseness and poor reflexes. Au contraire!"

 

"Whilst risking to overdraw, here the EF6 felt a bit like a cubic monster engine outside its ideal torque window; or cruising at highway speed in high gear/low RMP where a downshift would get the sportier revvier response."

 

 

 

 

 

...?

 

Don't they have any editors on the site?

 

Yes, there is room in the world of hifi journalism for a little more than "the bass is strong, the treble is weak...etc..." - but here the writer comes across as exceedingly pretentious.

 

In fact I always seem to finish reading a 6moons review none-the-wiser as to how the product actually sounds!!

 

...And I'm evidently not the only one. I hope they fix this problem...

 

 

 

 

EDIT: I'm reading through this page (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson9/3.html) right now, geez - it is SO bad!!


Edited by cactus_farmer - 6/29/12 at 4:19pm
post #43 of 1185

Personally like 6moons because despite finding the good stuff in a product they also slam products.  Eddie Current improved their build quality because 6moons tore them a new one ;)

post #44 of 1185

Trying to wade through the labyrinthe, the gist I think I'm getting from the 6moons review is that the Soloist is powerful enough for the Hifiman HE-6?

 

Yet people on this forum are claiming that the Soloist would not be enough for the HE-6 according to its spec sheet...


Edited by cactus_farmer - 6/29/12 at 5:27pm
post #45 of 1185

HE-6 need 20mW for 90dB.  That's milliwatt.  For people who like to listen at 120dB peaks, yeah you need a monster amp, for reasonable people 1W into the HE-6 load will suffice.

 

Granted 20mW is ton more than the ~1mW the LCD needs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › burson new soloist headphone amp