Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Just got Sansa Clip+, to rockbox or not to rockbox?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got Sansa Clip+, to rockbox or not to rockbox? - Page 2

Poll Results: Sansa Clip+. Rockbox or no??

 
  • 94% (66)
    Do it!
  • 5% (4)
    Don't do it!
70 Total Votes  
post #16 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post

Thanks.

 

Anyway, why does my Clip+ sometimes tell me there's no .rockbox directory? Only sometimes, which I feel is weird. Sometimes, it hangs on the Rockbox screen. And sometimes, it works flawlessly.. Why can't it just be flawless all the time!

 

The .rockbox folder is right there when I open my player on my PC.

 

Have reformatted and reinstalled both OF and RB on my player multiple times to no avail..

 

Anyone able to help?


Try using the auto installer from rockbox if you haven't already. That's how I did mine. 

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem

post #17 of 107
Thread Starter 

I'm using the latest stable build, 3.11.2 I think.

 

Anyway, I've never connected the player to PC in RB mode cause I did it once and the device driver installation or something failed and I never tried it again.

 

However, yesterday, I accidentally connected my player to PC forgetting it is on RB mode, this time the driver installed successfully, and 2 additional folders appeared in the player's root folder. "##MUSIC#" and "##PORT#".

 

Been working flawlessly ever since, been turning the player off and on about 10 times now, both to test and to listen to music, working perfectly.

 

Funny that I've been looking for help all over the place and it gets fixed by a fluke.. Thanks for all the help, fingers crossed that it keeps working :)

post #18 of 107
Thread Starter 
Okay, after a couple of days of working flawlessly, giving me the exact same **** again.
 
Never touch any settings or files, never mess with anything at all.
 
Getting real frustrated >.>
 
Anyone able to help?
post #19 of 107

I am glad I stayed away from Rockbox.

post #20 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post

Okay, after a couple of days of working flawlessly, giving me the exact same **** again.
 
Never touch any settings or files, never mess with anything at all.
 
Getting real frustrated >.>
 
Anyone able to help?

I'm afraid not. Your issues are an absolute mystery to me.  The RB devs are rather conservative in their classification of builds as "stable" or unstable, and the Clip+ port certainly lives up to "stable"....once it hit official stable status, I ran it on two of them for many months without a single issue, only selling them when I got the newer model, the Clip Zip. 

post #21 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I'm afraid not. Your issues are an absolute mystery to me.  The RB devs are rather conservative in their classification of builds as "stable" or unstable, and the Clip+ port certainly lives up to "stable"....once it hit official stable status, I ran it on two of them for many months without a single issue, only selling them when I got the newer model, the Clip Zip. 

To me as well. Have reformatted and reinstalled many times.. Sigh.

 

 

When I play files in OF, files tend to get skipped as well. Nothing wrong with my files.

 

Could it be player problem? Hmmm..


Edited by Emospence - 6/19/12 at 1:54am
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post

To me as well. Have reformatted and reinstalled many times.. Sigh.

 

 

When I play files in OF, files tend to get skipped as well. Nothing wrong with my files.

 

Could it be player problem? Hmmm..

Are you sure the files are in a format the Clip+ supports? Some people try to play AAC files or other Apple formats on the Clip+. That won't work. If the files are protected WMA, they must be transferred to the player using Windows Media Player or using another media player that supports license transfer and also use MTP mode . If you ripped the files from CD using Windows Media Player, the default format for ripping is protected WMA. If you did rip CDs to protected WMA, I suggest you rerip them to mp3 using at least 192 kbps. Some protected files like subscription music or protected audiobooks might need to be transferred to the player using the  software you used to download them. Some protected files might not play properly from card memory, and need to be in main memory to work properly.

 

Are you sure your tags are okay? For mp3 files, the Clip+ needs ID3 V2.3 ISO 8859-1 tags. if your tags are different than this, the Clip+ may have problems.


Edited by JK1 - 6/19/12 at 5:11am
post #23 of 107
Thread Starter 

Positive.

 

I would like to repeat that it works flawlessly sometimes, every song plays the way it should.

 

The most frustrating is it sometimes tells me no .rockbox directory found, when it is right there. Only sometimes, not all the time, which is extremely confusing to me

post #24 of 107

Perhaps you should try to get rid of Rockbox and start over if you can, next time avoiding Rockbox.  I would suggest exchanging it and getting another Clip+, however they might not take it back with Rockbox on it. Sandisk may not exchange it either with Rockbox on it.

post #25 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

Perhaps you should try to get rid of Rockbox and start over if you can, next time avoiding Rockbox.  I would suggest exchanging it and getting another Clip+, however they might not take it back with Rockbox on it. Sandisk may not exchange it either with Rockbox on it.

Yup, every conceivable troubleshooting step short of exchanging, I've tried it.

 

However, I do notice that the .rockbox directory not found error does not come up when I start up without the microSD inside, so a quick fix is to start up without microSD, then off and start again with it.

 

Working alright since I did this, hope things'll be fine now.

 

Fingers and toes crossed.

post #26 of 107

Guys,

 

There is any microSDHC compatibility list regarding cards which work with Sansa Clip+ with latest Rockbox installed?

I'm planning to buy a 32GB microSDHC card from Samsung... would it work in this size? Anyone has tested a 32GB card with Clip+ and Rockbox and can confirm me a product part number, to make sure what I'm buying?

 

Thank you,

Andrei

post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrei83 View Post

Guys,

There is any microSDHC compatibility list regarding cards which work with Sansa Clip+ with latest Rockbox installed?
I'm planning to buy a 32GB microSDHC card from Samsung... would it work in this size? Anyone has tested a 32GB card with Clip+ and Rockbox and can confirm me a product part number, to make sure what I'm buying?

Thank you,
Andrei

You will be fine with any 32GB micro SDHC card. Class 10 is best.
post #28 of 107

Thanks a lot, I'll go for a Samsung microSDHC 32GB!

post #29 of 107

Emospence,

 

I don't have a clip+, but from what i've read, your memory may be a bit faulty or not really compatible with RB. This kind of thing happened with me with 2 of my cameras(sometimes the camera would read it, sometimes don't, after some months the memory stick totally stopped working), my old PSP, and i even had a problem yesterday formating a pc (turned out the PenDrive i was using couldn't boot, so i took a SanDisk one and worked flawlessly) 

Can you test it with other card? i found out that the only way to avoid things like that is to buy quality memory (like the ones from SanDisk) 
 

post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrei83 View Post

Guys,

 

There is any microSDHC compatibility list regarding cards which work with Sansa Clip+ with latest Rockbox installed?

I'm planning to buy a 32GB microSDHC card from Samsung... would it work in this size? Anyone has tested a 32GB card with Clip+ and Rockbox and can confirm me a product part number, to make sure what I'm buying?

 

Thank you,

Andrei

 

 

hey there
I'm using a rockboxed clip+ with a 32 GB sandisk microsdhc card  it works flawlessly but you should reformat it BEFORE using it with a file allocation size of 64k, otherwise the clip+ will randomly freeze.

have fun with it ;)


Edited by smnfs - 8/29/12 at 11:42pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Just got Sansa Clip+, to rockbox or not to rockbox?