And my first recable attempt, on a pair of Denon D5000's no less, is complete...
- A heatgun is not at all necessary. I simply used a flame and it worked quite well after several passes
- DO have a decent wire stripper. I can't imagine how much a pain it would have been to have used a knife.
- I should have gone with a smaller diameter multifilament above the y-split. This made cable entry into the cups needlessly difficult and I will have to go back with heatshrink/ liquid electrical tape to really finish the job.
Here are several pictures of the recabling:
The headphones, with the orig. cable shorted, sitting on a pile of materials
- Wire stripped; both ground wires twisted with the copper shielding
- I found using this improvised vice made it much easier to solder the wires
- Oops, ended up forgetting to take a photo post-soldering
- top-left = plug ring / Right channel
- center = plug tip / Left Channel
- bottom = plug sleeve / Ground
- cable sleeved, heatshrinked, and terminated with switchcraft 35HDBAU
- Note: I ended up redoing the heatshrink at the plug
- Did not realize how easy it is to fray the sleeving
- The y-split: blue and red are signal; black and white are ground
- heatshrinking the y-split
- A finished, albeit unattached
- This will lead into one of the cups
removed earpads by gripping the hard edge at the bottom of the earpads, and giving a slight twist. The plastic tabs should now be out of their respective housing and one can easily pull away the cups.
- Inside the ear cup, staring at the driver housing.
- Red marks signal.
- Note: the original cable has been removed and pulled through the hole (still some hot glue residue from Denon's job)
- Artistic shot of the newly soldered wires, I suppose
- strain relief was comprised of a ziptie (too large in retrospect) and hot glue
- I was wary of using the knot method as I did not want to accidentally break the wire
- RT earcup reassembled.
- The entry will be revisited as it looks a bit rough and doesn't look as secure as it could be
UPDATE: Painting over the cable entry with black liquid electrical tape (not exactly easy to use)
Edited by l337toast - 7/29/12 at 5:47pm