Does anybody have any recommendations for a material that absorbs reflections that also won't mess up the sound quality of my headphones? I have never modded a pair of headphones before and I plan to do it for the first time.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM Last post on 12/23/13 at 5:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-W1000x Modded Re-cabled | Purrin's Mod | L3000 Pads Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Last post on 9/9/14 at 1:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Good materials for absorbing reflections in headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 46/9/12 at 7:11pm
Open-cell acoustic foam is what you want. Depending on the brand and where in the headphone that you put it, it can help the sound or it can hurt the sound. You will have to experiment.post #3 of 46/9/12 at 7:22pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot . . . and thanks for the fast response.
EDIT: I don't know why headphone manufacturers don't include this open cell acoustic foam in their headphones from the start . . . I have never had a high end pair of headphones though so for all I know they could have that in them.
Edited by KingOfTheWild - 6/9/12 at 7:41pmpost #4 of 46/10/12 at 12:12am
They resort to wool or other fabric materials of varying density and composition to tune the sound and kill resonances or whatever from what I've seen. Not even higher-end headphones actually use acoustic foam from what I know. Making the headphone open-back allows them to be lazier. =p
Mid-fi headphones are the ones that most benefit, generally.Return Home
- Good materials for absorbing reflections in headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sony PHA 2 Headphone Amplifier USB DAC (iPhone IPod iPad) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › Interest Check: Upcoming Meet at CANPAX @ TAVES? 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 8 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 9 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 9 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)