- 601 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Warsaw, Poland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recording quality VS Headphone quality Last post on 5/29/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Isolating headphones for post rock, shoegaze, and post punk, under 200 dollars? Last post on 5/21/13 at 1:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best headphones under $200 ? Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under 300$ Last post on 7/15/16 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 7post #91 of 245611/15/12 at 7:35amI use it as my main headphone.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 245611/15/12 at 9:27am
I really did like them for a closed headphone but I just felt like for on the go they were too big, and for at home use I chose my cheap m-audio monitors over them. I ended up selling them to get he400s. I really wanted to have them be my main headphones too, IMO they are the nicest looking headphones out there and they do have great sound quality but over time the finicky fit and resonance in them chipped away at my enjoyment. Ideally I'd have them as a pair to contrast a good pair of open headphones.post #93 of 245611/15/12 at 10:04am
I have been since I've gotten mine. K702 used to be my main headphone. To me, the only thing the K702 still does better is instrument separation. Even the soundstage on the K550 is very similar to the K702, which is impressive considering it's a closed headphone.post #94 of 245611/15/12 at 3:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by tdockweiler
Saw this frequency graph today:
Looks kind of similar to this one of the KRK KNS-8400:
(8400 doesn't sound anything like it's graph though. At least not when it comes to it's bass)
The graphs don't look all that similar to me. K550 response clearly looks better balanced with fewer peaks.post #95 of 245611/15/12 at 6:26pm
Why does every headphone seem to have a massive dip at 5k?
Is this like the evil zone that headphone manufacturers deliberately drop off?
It is amusing when there's a dip people automatically cry about it and think that area is gone!
Out of 3 KNS-8400 graphs, none them look similar. So which one is right? Take your pick!
Strangely enough, the 8400 seems to have elevated sub-bass when I listen to it. Don't remember if the K550 did or not. I only had mine for a day.post #96 of 245611/15/12 at 9:32pmpost #97 of 245611/16/12 at 2:46ampost #98 of 245611/23/12 at 3:55am
Just wanted to say thanks a million to the OP for such a great post
Was worried about the fit prior to reading this, and am now delighted with it
Will also do the padding mod over the weekend
So helpful, thanks again, very much appreciated
post #99 of 245611/23/12 at 6:06amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks! I'm happy to see this thread is still helping others.
A video review was posted some weeks ago showing a K550 that may have received revisions to its headpad and earpads. They were speculated to be thicker, but it was inconclusive. I'm considering going on a shopping venture next week (I don't dare go out this weekend) to find out for certain. In addition, I'll be picking up some Dynamat and running some dampening trials.post #100 of 245611/26/12 at 7:54am
I haven't decided on which 'phones to buy next and I am considering the K550:s. My thought on a possible good material to stuff the pads with is memory foam. Can be taken from a cheap pillow.
What do you guys think about that?post #101 of 245611/26/12 at 9:45ampost #102 of 245611/26/12 at 1:43pm
I do, and i love how it sounds. Furthermore, for unknown reasons, here in Spain the K550 is ridicously cheap, you can get it for 120 Euro.. I think that for that price the headphone is unbeatable..
Edited by drivers66 - 11/27/12 at 11:23ampost #103 of 245611/26/12 at 2:46pm
For me it sounded best out of the Fiio E17/AudioQuest Dragonfly.
It may have had other contributing factors, but out of my burly Audio-gd C2.2 and Shiit Lyr they didn't sound as good as with the two above.
I think moderate ampage is good, but I didn't feel like it gained much (in fact I felt it lost some) from the more mid-upper amps out there.post #104 of 245611/26/12 at 10:21pm
Very good. Though they doesn't require a strong amp they do benefit from amping. More strength in terms of impact, and also bring up the sometimes lacking low frequency punches.
I recently upgraded from my E7 to an E17 and it does not only improve the clarity, but also widens the soundstage.post #105 of 245611/27/12 at 11:27am
Very good. I have an Asus Xonar headphone amplifier and the body of the music is amazing.. Anyway withoun amp the sound is also excelent.
By the way, ¿ could somebody tell me how could i "notice" the in-famous resonances, i'm getting nuts trying to find such resonances, i'm tried a lot of kinds of music (classic, rock, electronic, pop), instrumental, vocal (choral, soloist male, soloist female), with no success ¿ could somebody point me a piece of music that produces such resonances ?...
- The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Band Name Game II 1 second ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 3 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 26 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 36 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 51 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 1 minute ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 2 minutes ago
- › The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear