- 600 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Warsaw, Poland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recording quality VS Headphone quality Last post on 5/29/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Isolating headphones for post rock, shoegaze, and post punk, under 200 dollars? Last post on 5/21/13 at 1:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best headphones under $200 ? Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under 300$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 12:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer This unit was in my possession for a few days as part of the Australasian tour. I'd like to thank @FiiO and @Joe Bloggs for making this tour possible, and @Brooko for organizing...
One day before a long trip I found out that my earbuds was blown out, so I went to one near store to find some quick replacement, then I choose these because there was none of my...
I bought these headphones love / hate with the taste of the challenge. I learned that in Germany have discovered a reversible change to free the low and I started the monkey. I got them used to not...
sorry my English is Google translate The sound of these hifiman immediately like it or hate it. They have a strong character, perfect bass, brilliant highs, medium tone mind incorrect. A few years...
sorry my English is Google translate I bought this machine to see if such facilities exist hifi quality level beyond which the feeling of fidelity sound becomes real. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I...
The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 7post #91 of 205611/15/12 at 7:35amI use it as my main headphone.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 205611/15/12 at 9:27am
I really did like them for a closed headphone but I just felt like for on the go they were too big, and for at home use I chose my cheap m-audio monitors over them. I ended up selling them to get he400s. I really wanted to have them be my main headphones too, IMO they are the nicest looking headphones out there and they do have great sound quality but over time the finicky fit and resonance in them chipped away at my enjoyment. Ideally I'd have them as a pair to contrast a good pair of open headphones.post #93 of 205611/15/12 at 10:04am
I have been since I've gotten mine. K702 used to be my main headphone. To me, the only thing the K702 still does better is instrument separation. Even the soundstage on the K550 is very similar to the K702, which is impressive considering it's a closed headphone.post #94 of 205611/15/12 at 3:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by tdockweiler
Saw this frequency graph today:
Looks kind of similar to this one of the KRK KNS-8400:
(8400 doesn't sound anything like it's graph though. At least not when it comes to it's bass)
The graphs don't look all that similar to me. K550 response clearly looks better balanced with fewer peaks.post #95 of 205611/15/12 at 6:26pm
Why does every headphone seem to have a massive dip at 5k?
Is this like the evil zone that headphone manufacturers deliberately drop off?
It is amusing when there's a dip people automatically cry about it and think that area is gone!
Out of 3 KNS-8400 graphs, none them look similar. So which one is right? Take your pick!
Strangely enough, the 8400 seems to have elevated sub-bass when I listen to it. Don't remember if the K550 did or not. I only had mine for a day.post #96 of 205611/15/12 at 9:32pmpost #97 of 205611/16/12 at 2:46ampost #98 of 205611/23/12 at 3:55am
Just wanted to say thanks a million to the OP for such a great post
Was worried about the fit prior to reading this, and am now delighted with it
Will also do the padding mod over the weekend
So helpful, thanks again, very much appreciated
post #99 of 205611/23/12 at 6:06amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks! I'm happy to see this thread is still helping others.
A video review was posted some weeks ago showing a K550 that may have received revisions to its headpad and earpads. They were speculated to be thicker, but it was inconclusive. I'm considering going on a shopping venture next week (I don't dare go out this weekend) to find out for certain. In addition, I'll be picking up some Dynamat and running some dampening trials.post #100 of 205611/26/12 at 7:54am
I haven't decided on which 'phones to buy next and I am considering the K550:s. My thought on a possible good material to stuff the pads with is memory foam. Can be taken from a cheap pillow.
What do you guys think about that?post #101 of 205611/26/12 at 9:45ampost #102 of 205611/26/12 at 1:43pm
I do, and i love how it sounds. Furthermore, for unknown reasons, here in Spain the K550 is ridicously cheap, you can get it for 120 Euro.. I think that for that price the headphone is unbeatable..
Edited by drivers66 - 11/27/12 at 11:23ampost #103 of 205611/26/12 at 2:46pm
For me it sounded best out of the Fiio E17/AudioQuest Dragonfly.
It may have had other contributing factors, but out of my burly Audio-gd C2.2 and Shiit Lyr they didn't sound as good as with the two above.
I think moderate ampage is good, but I didn't feel like it gained much (in fact I felt it lost some) from the more mid-upper amps out there.post #104 of 205611/26/12 at 10:21pm
Very good. Though they doesn't require a strong amp they do benefit from amping. More strength in terms of impact, and also bring up the sometimes lacking low frequency punches.
I recently upgraded from my E7 to an E17 and it does not only improve the clarity, but also widens the soundstage.post #105 of 205611/27/12 at 11:27am
Very good. I have an Asus Xonar headphone amplifier and the body of the music is amazing.. Anyway withoun amp the sound is also excelent.
By the way, ¿ could somebody tell me how could i "notice" the in-famous resonances, i'm getting nuts trying to find such resonances, i'm tried a lot of kinds of music (classic, rock, electronic, pop), instrumental, vocal (choral, soloist male, soloist female), with no success ¿ could somebody point me a piece of music that produces such resonances ?...
- The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 13 seconds ago
- › iFI Nano Idsd or Ifi Micro Idsd or Astell & Kern Ak100 II for... 58 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Open Headphones for ~$500 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser RS185 Review by mark2410 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fnkcow
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by 1Infinity
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 by 1Infinity
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Currawong
- › T-Peos Altone 350 Hybrid 3 driver IEM by svyr
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by earfonia
- › Topping NX1 Earphone Headphone Portable Stereo MP3 Amplifier by DJScope
- › Minerva Mi-Performer Pro Silicone Custom IEM by CantScareMe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2