or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 44

post #646 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzack View Post

Anyone can recommend a way to modify the K550 to fit a standard mini XLR for balanced cabling?

I did ask some of these guys who provide recabling service and they only do a proprietary mod,

meaning you can't use a 3rd party XLR cable once the mod is done.

One way is to cut the cable without opening the cans and attach the mini xlr to it, maybe not as pretty as built in in the earcup, but much easier.

post #647 of 2455
I made a thread in the for sale section... You said below 100, you got served...
post #648 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post

One way is to cut the cable without opening the cans and attach the mini xlr to it, maybe not as pretty as built in in the earcup, but much easier.


I think that fitting a mini xlr socket onto those ear pieces wouldnt pretty either. Actually, how can you even do that?


Edited by CheeseWithWorms - 6/12/13 at 10:12am
post #649 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post


I think that fitting a mini xlr socket onto those ear pieces wouldnt pretty either. Actually, how can you even do that?

I think this is what he meant....

post #650 of 2455

yah, if the wire that goes in has 4 cores, could be that the wire just has 3 cores, and then the ground splits inside the cup

post #651 of 2455

It seems irrelevant if the wire has 4 cores or 3. If it has 4 cores, 2 of them are ground and could be joined together.

post #652 of 2455

Oh xlr isn't balanced, I was thinking for a balanced connector here. :)

post #653 of 2455

Depends upon the application. For your stereo signal you'll need a XLR 4-pin connector, not the standard 3-pin version. There is a mini 4-pin XLR variant thats used with some balanced headphone amps...

post #654 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post

Depends upon the application. For your stereo signal you'll need a XLR 4-pin connector, not the standard 3-pin version. There is a mini 4-pin XLR variant thats used with some balanced headphone amps...

 

You mean, for balanced stereo..

post #655 of 2455

It may seem self explanatory, but here is a question. The k550 is sometimes vibrating on my head (very mildly) while playing some bass heavy songs. Is that an indication that i got a good seal?


Edited by CheeseWithWorms - 6/16/13 at 6:59pm
post #656 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post

It may seem self explanatory, but here is a question. The k550 is sometimes vibrating on my head (very mildly) while playing some bass heavy songs. Is that an indication that i got a good seal?

Sounds like you might be getting some of those <30hz bass notes. Probably a good indication smily_headphones1.gif
post #657 of 2455

About the balanced amature Question. I posteted a mod for a replacable cable some month ago in this thread. You can see the some pictures in my profile. I don't know if I mentioned it these days, but the 3.5 mm female plug I used in the headphone has 4 pins. So you can make  a cable or an adapter with an 4 pin 3.5 mm male plug and any other plug you want to drive it balanced. when you take a 3.5 mm standard cables with 3 pins left an right mass signal of the drivers are shortcut by the male  plug of the cable. So you can use it with any "normal" cable on a portable device. I don't own any balanced equipment, but I thought with this mod it would be easy to drive it balanced just by using a diffrent cable  when I have the opertunity once.

And to answer the question about the original cable. The ground cable of the right canal is solderd to the ground panal of the left driver. the original cable has just 3 lines.

post #658 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard85 View Post

when you take a 3.5 mm standard cables with 3 pins left an right mass signal of the drivers are shortcut by the male  plug of the cable.

 

Thats a nice idea actually... and an elegant solution to the problem of different setups.

post #659 of 2455

So I just picked these up on Amazon for 270$, and I could swear I saw them for a LOT less earlier, but I unfortunately don't have time to wait for them to go down since I'm leaving for vacation, so I may end up returning them after and buying for less.

That being said, how much do these typically go for? I honestly can't see them being 100$ better than my Q701s.

post #660 of 2455
Q701 retails for alot more that $270 doesn't it?

anyway I have seen net prices on these for as low as $199 and know I can buy them from Axe Music in Canada currently for $220.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!