or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 40

post #586 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

Why so many of you actually bought these things and now are trying to "fix" AKG's engineering failure is beyond me....

 

Why reward a company that got it so wrong?

 

Not everyone is having problems with the fit... most people obviously don't. I would not consider it an engineering failure but rather a design choice: if it fits your head its quite comfortable due to the light clamping force. If it does not... you'll be better off with another headphone.

The smell is nevertheless an unnecessary obstacle... but at least it does go away after some weeks.

post #587 of 2455

I've tried on 3 pair and none of them have bass till I put some pressure on the earcups.  I have an average sized head.  I am like 5'8" and don't look like I have a large mellon. I like the way they sound with my fingers on the cups, but that's no way to go through life...

 

I am glad they work for some people.  I guess it's just frustrating that i like so much else about the product...
 

post #588 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

I've tried on 3 pair and none of them have bass till I put some pressure on the earcups.  I have an average sized head.  I am like 5'8" and don't look like I have a large mellon. I like the way they sound with my fingers on the cups, but that's no way to go through life...

 

I am glad they work for some people.  I guess it's just frustrating that i like so much else about the product...
 

 

Well, I don't think they're supposed to be bass-heavy headphones in the first place. Have you tried Curly21029's or dxanex's mods (bending the headband and putting rubber bands on the pads, respectively)? I hear that both of those can change the bass on the K550. It sounds like the K550 probably just isn't the right headphone for you, though.

post #589 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowox8 View Post

 

Well, I don't think they're supposed to be bass-heavy headphones in the first place. Have you tried Curly21029's or dxanex's mods (bending the headband and putting rubber bands on the pads, respectively)? I hear that both of those can change the bass on the K550. It sounds like the K550 probably just isn't the right headphone for you, though.


Wow, it's like you haven't read a thing I've posted...

post #590 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Wow, it's like you haven't read a thing I've posted...

Wow! It's like you just came here to complain rolleyes.gif
post #591 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Wow! It's like you just came here to complain rolleyes.gif


Yes, pretty much! So what's your point? and what does that have to do with not reading and comprehending what I have written?

post #592 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Yes, pretty much! So what's your point? and what does that have to do with not reading and comprehending what I have written?

Read Head-Fi's posting guidelines, which specifically says, "Maintaining forum decorum also means that certain behaviors, such as trolling, thread crapping . . . have no place on our site"

This is the K550 appreciation thread. If you just want to gripe without being constructive, go somewhere else rolleyes.gif
post #593 of 2455

My bad, I saw the last word "discussion" and figured it was okay to criticize and voice my disappointment with AKG on this otherwise seemingle great product.  When I see a thread based on primarily fixing a design flaw, I had to ask the question, "why would anyone buy this?'

 

I'm surprised they work OK for so many people...

post #594 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

My bad, I saw the last word "discussion" and figured it was okay to criticize and voice my disappointment with AKG on this otherwise seemingle great product.  When I see a thread based on primarily fixing a design flaw, I had to ask the question, "why would anyone buy this?'

I'm surprised they work OK for so many people...

You are over generalizing based on your individual experience and your perspective.

For many people, the K550s work well out of the box (me for example). I might try one of the mods eventually because I'd like the clamp tighter for moving around a lot. But for sitting and listening to music, the fit is fine and makes them very comfortable.

In fact, I suspect that's the case for many people that find the sound is just right for them, if they could only get the seal better. Many headphone hobbyists are looking for those headphones that have that perfect sound for them. For instance, I tried a lot of headphones to find the sound that worked for me, and the K550s are it. If the fit didn't work for me, I would probably be willing to mod them to get it.

There are other people that just like to mod and improve any headphone that they get. There are many headphone appreciation threads where a lot of the discussion is about modding the headphones.
post #595 of 2455

Could someone tell me their impressions on any of the metal songs I'm about to list? I'm strongly considering selling my Amperior headphones and getting something else closed so I have something at least semi-portable. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSHXkgMks8 - Hades - Dawn of the Dying Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR1KfKXH6s - Sunn O))) - Black One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvqj-QSwic - Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aao3B0fZRQc - Morpheus Descends - Corpse Under Glass

post #596 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

Could someone tell me their impressions on any of the metal songs I'm about to list? I'm strongly considering selling my Amperior headphones and getting something else closed so I have something at least semi-portable. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSHXkgMks8 - Hades - Dawn of the Dying Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR1KfKXH6s - Sunn O))) - Black One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvqj-QSwic - Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aao3B0fZRQc - Morpheus Descends - Corpse Under Glass


Holy **** man.

post #597 of 2455

Now I'm worried: those highs are soooooo shrill. I've had them for a week: do they go away?

post #598 of 2455

The fit issue is more like buying shoes. No matter how hard you try. Some brand of shoes will always gives you blisters. The last which the shoe made from simply deviate too far from the shape of your feet.

 

Similarly, K550 has a rather large circumference. People with less prominent facial features around the ear will have a good fit (seal) and will enjoy the near zero clamping force without any modification whatsoever. (Including me) 

 

I can just casually throw it on my head and enjoy it without any fiddling.

post #599 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Wow, it's like you haven't read a thing I've posted...

 

My bad, mate; I didn't mean any offense. I think I read everything you posted in this thread, but I might have missed something. PM me if you need to.

post #600 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowox8 View Post

 

My bad, mate; I didn't mean any offense. I think I read everything you posted in this thread, but I might have missed something. PM me if you need to.


No man, no big deal.  It's just the internets! ;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!