anybody with glasses and impressed with these headphones ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recording quality VS Headphone quality Last post on 5/29/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Isolating headphones for post rock, shoegaze, and post punk, under 200 dollars? Last post on 5/21/13 at 1:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best headphones under $200 ? Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under 300$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 12:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 206712/28/12 at 7:30ampost #228 of 206712/28/12 at 8:40ampost #229 of 206712/29/12 at 9:34amQuote:post #230 of 206712/29/12 at 10:02ampost #231 of 206712/29/12 at 10:08ampost #232 of 206712/29/12 at 10:25amI had the hd650 for over 3 years. i sold it and got the lcd2. Any other headphone i would have got, i would have kept the hd650. i loved those cans, but lcd2 made a good replacement. i recently got the k550 for office use. they have a different sound than hd 650. faster and more controled bass, more detail and brighter. i have a friend that sad the k550 have a wider sounstage than hd 650. i disagree . it might give you this impression because of the treble, but i think hd 650 has a more defined and fuller soundstage. Hd 650 has a smoother sound. The bass is deeper but looser. My impressions is that hd 650 has a more hifi sound but both are very good and k550 is awesome for a closed headphone. I would buy them both :d
Edited by dan.gheorghe - 12/29/12 at 10:42ampost #233 of 206712/29/12 at 5:09pm
Yeah, dan.gheorghe pretty much hit it, I'd say the HD650 is definitely more holographic, with better imaging, but both have very nice soundstage. The K550 sometimes sounds a bit bright when coming off the HD650, but it's because of the more natural bass and pronounced treble. Both headphones definitely compliment each other very well. Their signatures are quite different, but the sound is really enjoyable on both.post #234 of 206712/30/12 at 5:59pm
I agree with dan.gheorghe & dxanex but I have to say, the reason I bought K550 (beside their tonal signature) was the soundstage.
It reminds me of Senn 800 even though it's not quite as refined. Especially when you're listening to orchestra. K550 can produce wider soundstage than Senn 600 & 650. While I was auditioning Senn 800, one of the the song I played was Michael Bolton's In The Arms Of Love. It gave me goose bump listening when the orchestra came. It never felt the same way when I listened that song with 600 or 650. But the same moment happened with K550 IMO.post #235 of 20671/1/13 at 2:56amI do agree that the sound signature may resemble hd800 in some aspects, but not the soundstage, not even a liitle tiny bit. The k550s' sounstage is microscopic compared to hd800.
With k550 i didn't even realize that the lotr soundtracks were recorded in a concert hall. I still remain with the impression that hd650 has a wider more natural soundstage.
On k550 the sound starts in force but stops somewhat abruptly(sounstage wise). On hd 650 the sound starts more subtle but flies further away. the imaging might be better on k550 though.Don't get me wrong. i very much like the k550. it has a very good soundsage for a closed headphone.
Edited by dan.gheorghe - 1/3/13 at 9:17ampost #236 of 20671/3/13 at 1:20pmI can relate to what he is saying with the K550 soundstage. Since I started using my K550 with my Lyr I feel I have re-discovered them. I find myself sometimes listening to them instead of my HD650 (which are my favorite headphones). And when I do I have the same thought every time of how impossible it seems to be getting such space out of a closed pair of cans. I haven't A/B'd them to put my finger on it exactly but for some reason the K550 does seem to leave even more of an impression on me in regards sound stage and space than when I listen to the 650.
I feel like the K550 is the perfect companion to my Sennys. The subtle differences in more realism vs musicality are a nice change up. Not to mention a headphone I can really enjoy sitting in bed without waking up my wife.
But again, I did love them before, but it really is the combo with my Lyr that really brought them to that level for me (used with an impedance adapter).post #237 of 20671/3/13 at 9:39pmQuote:
Speaking of, Doc I know you mentioned the impedance adapter in another thread...did you ever get the chance to measure it to see it's impedance? Still looking at trying one out for myself...post #238 of 20671/3/13 at 11:34pm
Just got a pair after looking for a good pair of closed isolating full sized headphones. First impressions with little to no burn in: pretty neutral. Definitely not bass light, so I must have a largish head :) Nothing really offensive, sound-wise. Will listen to some orchestral stuff later to test the soundstage. Top of the headband already seems like it may need some additional padding, but I'll see if it'll soften up over time. Ears definitely get warm quickly.post #239 of 20671/4/13 at 1:04pmpost #240 of 20671/9/13 at 7:26am
Got these about 2 weeks ago and am totally in love with them. I've never heard such clarity and soundstage from a pair of headphones before, closed or otherwise. Bass extension is quite nice, despite lacking the impact of other similarly priced 'phones such as the D2000's. Only qualm so far is that the headband causes the top of my head to hurt after a while, but I'm hoping that this will go away with time (if not I may try some extra padding up there). Great 'phones.
- The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 29 seconds ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 32 seconds ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available 56 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Enjoy 25% off - Sennheiser MOMENTUM Ingress! 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: The Stunning McIntosh D100 5 minutes ago
- › iPod Line Out Dock - Cryo style 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3