- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recording quality VS Headphone quality Last post on 5/29/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Isolating headphones for post rock, shoegaze, and post punk, under 200 dollars? Last post on 5/21/13 at 1:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best headphones under $200 ? Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under 300$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 12:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 11post #151 of 205612/1/12 at 11:29amI got mine used off another head-fier and they work like a charm. No glue issues no adjustment issues.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 205612/1/12 at 11:30am
my headband does have the glue issue you mentioned. I have been pushing it back on the metal if it starts to pop off. It is one area that AKG should improve on for sure. But I will fix it myself if I decide these are keepers for me.post #153 of 205612/1/12 at 11:42am
Thank you very much for your replies.
The adjustment issue(difference/not so good clicking to positions from the one side) was not a deal breaker for me,but the headband pad worried me because I think that some kind of cable pass through there,and if it got worse (unglued) I may had a problem.
The thing is that I paid 200 euro here in Greece for it,and I was not satisfied with these issues so I returned it back.post #154 of 205612/1/12 at 12:18pm
at that price I would have returned them as well, I paid $199 for my pair so will fix the glue. having said that I may reconsider my score of these for build quality. I think that metal center console must have the cable underneath it as I can not feel a cable under the padding.
So just hooked up my little tube amp and wow does it ever pair up with the K550 well. It adds a very nice warmth to the sound.post #155 of 205612/1/12 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by john53
Dweaver(and other 550 owners too),I had two small issues with build quality of my 550's,the first is that the headband pad was not so nice glued to the metal headband,leaving some kind of small gaps(basically at the two edges of the pad) between the headband and the pad,where you could also notice some glue.The second issue was that the left adjustment didn't click properly on the numbers,compared to the right one (both feeling and "click" sound).So I returned them and got money back,but I'm thinking of buying them again some time due to their great sound.
Did anyone else noticed the headband pad not so good glued to the headband,and with the adjustments to feel different one from the other?
I have a K550 and no problem with the headband nor with he adjustement.post #156 of 205612/1/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Same. This is the first that I've heard of these issues and consider this headphone rock solid.post #157 of 205612/1/12 at 4:12pmpost #158 of 205612/1/12 at 4:23pm
I think the seal issues with these cans is kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. I have a smaller than average head and I dont have issues with the fit. I can wear them with a great amount of comfort and no seal problems on the first two settings. For the sake of comparison, I wear my M50s and my DT990s most comfortably without having to expand the headband at all.post #159 of 205612/1/12 at 5:32pmpost #160 of 205612/1/12 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by duotone
I would be particularly interested to hear how your 550's compare to your B&W P5's. I enjoy listening to music on my P5's but for long listening sessions they don't work we'll for me at all (too uncomfortable) and tracks with a lot of brass, trumpets etc. at the forefront I cannot enjoy as they sound harsh to my ears.
You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets? The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.
Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.post #161 of 205612/1/12 at 6:49pmThread StarterQuote:
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.post #162 of 205612/1/12 at 11:55pmpost #163 of 205612/2/12 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Curly21029
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.
I agree with you. And a lack of HF extension can make upper midrange/lower treble sound cold and bright.
I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.post #164 of 205612/2/12 at 7:47amThread StarterQuote:
...could I be confusing it with the P3? (auditioned both back-to-back, liked neither... pretty looking, though)Quote:
Don't expect a monumental change, but the high frequencies did smooth a bit after accruing some hours. I still find, however, that some violins can get too close for comfort.
- The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 54 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 4 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 5 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 5 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2