- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recording quality VS Headphone quality Last post on 5/29/13 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Isolating headphones for post rock, shoegaze, and post punk, under 200 dollars? Last post on 5/21/13 at 1:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- best headphones under $200 ? Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for under 300$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 12:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 11post #151 of 202112/1/12 at 11:29amI got mine used off another head-fier and they work like a charm. No glue issues no adjustment issues.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 202112/1/12 at 11:30am
my headband does have the glue issue you mentioned. I have been pushing it back on the metal if it starts to pop off. It is one area that AKG should improve on for sure. But I will fix it myself if I decide these are keepers for me.post #153 of 202112/1/12 at 11:42am
Thank you very much for your replies.
The adjustment issue(difference/not so good clicking to positions from the one side) was not a deal breaker for me,but the headband pad worried me because I think that some kind of cable pass through there,and if it got worse (unglued) I may had a problem.
The thing is that I paid 200 euro here in Greece for it,and I was not satisfied with these issues so I returned it back.post #154 of 202112/1/12 at 12:18pm
at that price I would have returned them as well, I paid $199 for my pair so will fix the glue. having said that I may reconsider my score of these for build quality. I think that metal center console must have the cable underneath it as I can not feel a cable under the padding.
So just hooked up my little tube amp and wow does it ever pair up with the K550 well. It adds a very nice warmth to the sound.post #155 of 202112/1/12 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by john53
Dweaver(and other 550 owners too),I had two small issues with build quality of my 550's,the first is that the headband pad was not so nice glued to the metal headband,leaving some kind of small gaps(basically at the two edges of the pad) between the headband and the pad,where you could also notice some glue.The second issue was that the left adjustment didn't click properly on the numbers,compared to the right one (both feeling and "click" sound).So I returned them and got money back,but I'm thinking of buying them again some time due to their great sound.
Did anyone else noticed the headband pad not so good glued to the headband,and with the adjustments to feel different one from the other?
I have a K550 and no problem with the headband nor with he adjustement.post #156 of 202112/1/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Same. This is the first that I've heard of these issues and consider this headphone rock solid.post #157 of 202112/1/12 at 4:12pmpost #158 of 202112/1/12 at 4:23pm
I think the seal issues with these cans is kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. I have a smaller than average head and I dont have issues with the fit. I can wear them with a great amount of comfort and no seal problems on the first two settings. For the sake of comparison, I wear my M50s and my DT990s most comfortably without having to expand the headband at all.post #159 of 202112/1/12 at 5:32pmpost #160 of 202112/1/12 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by duotone
I would be particularly interested to hear how your 550's compare to your B&W P5's. I enjoy listening to music on my P5's but for long listening sessions they don't work we'll for me at all (too uncomfortable) and tracks with a lot of brass, trumpets etc. at the forefront I cannot enjoy as they sound harsh to my ears.
You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets? The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.
Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.post #161 of 202112/1/12 at 6:49pmThread StarterQuote:
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.post #162 of 202112/1/12 at 11:55pmpost #163 of 202112/2/12 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Curly21029
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.
I agree with you. And a lack of HF extension can make upper midrange/lower treble sound cold and bright.
I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.post #164 of 202112/2/12 at 7:47amThread StarterQuote:
...could I be confusing it with the P3? (auditioned both back-to-back, liked neither... pretty looking, though)Quote:
Don't expect a monumental change, but the high frequencies did smooth a bit after accruing some hours. I still find, however, that some violins can get too close for comfort.
- The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Music Game IX 47 seconds ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 51 seconds ago
- › Best complete Headphone Setup < $500 & < $1k 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71s take on the ATH-SPORT2 iem Page... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado GS1000 terminated to 4 pin XLR plus 3.5mm adaptor 2 minutes ago
- › V-Moda Crossfade LP - White, Like New w/ all Accessories 4 minutes ago
- › Need Some New Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2