or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 77

post #1141 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacienda View Post
 

Well, I finally bought a pair of these today. I won't go into any details regarding first impressions etc as I understand the burn-in necessary for these cans.

 

One question I have though is: Do any of you have a good recommendation for a good case that these would fit into nice

I was going to ask the same question. I just received mine Friday and I'm totally happy with them right out the box.

 

Edit: This looks like it will work but I'd like to see if anyone has tried it already.

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00ENO322C


Edited by TechoGeek - 1/6/14 at 1:38am
post #1142 of 2455
I have ~150 hours of burnin on my K550; thought they were virtually unlistenable out of the box - overly bright, little bass, no lower mids, congested presentation. Did I mention how bright they were?

Much better now, but still too much energy in the upper mids. Then, I did the back-of-driver mod described earlier in the thread, but I used closed-cell foam in lieu of felt. A product similar to Fostex mod. A significant improvement.

Wanna turn your K550 into a bass monster with the tonal balance similar to the HD650? No problem. Line the K550 pads with the open-cell foam that comes included with Beyer 880/990 pads. The fit inside the 550 pad is essentially perfect. You lose a little (apparent) detail and upper-end air, the cans sound more closed, but the physical thrust of the presentation can be addictive. They rock! Best of all, the open-cell inserts can be removed in literally seconds. Personally, I prefer the cans without the foam, but once in a while, especially with flawed (yet, musically engaging) source material, it can be a blessing.

Edit: clarity
Edited by Shaffer - 1/6/14 at 11:33am
post #1143 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I have ~150 hours of burnin on my K550; thought they were virtually unlistenable out of the box - overly bright, little bass, no lower mids, congested presentation. Did I mention how bright they were?

Much better now, but still too much energy in the upper mids. Then, I did the back-of-driver mod described earlier in the thread, but I used closed-cell foam in lieu of felt. A product similar to Fostex mod. A significant improvement.

 

 

I recently got K551 and honestly I felt like I was listening through a $5 headphone. I had the bass set to max on Fiio E17 and still I couldn't hear any deep sound at all! But now after 40 hours of burning, it's getting better and I started to prefer it over HD598 regardless of its sound quality.

 

Finally I can listen at higher volume than usual (Ahem... HD598) without disturbing others!

post #1144 of 2455
The K 550 does do deep bass, without any EQ, provided that you get a good seal around your ears. It is leaner sounding than a lot of closed phones with that have a midbass hump, but I like that the bass is nice and tight. Early on there were quite a few comments about lack of bass,probably many were from folks that couldn't achieve a good fit.
post #1145 of 2455

Nevermind!


Edited by SonyMDRer - 1/7/14 at 3:25am
post #1146 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post
 

I was going to ask the same question. I just received mine Friday and I'm totally happy with them right out the box.

 

Edit: This looks like it will work but I'd like to see if anyone has tried it already.

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00ENO322C

Hello, got this case for Christmas for my K550. Fits with room to spare and is a very nice solid case. Price isn't bad either when you think of a little phone case.  Also got the smaller  one for my Sennheiser 650..also fit perfect. Both have plenty of room for cable etc. 

post #1147 of 2455

I really love the AKG K550/551.

 

It's my favorite closed back headphone of all time!

 

I made a youtube video about it if anyone is interested to see

 

Have a good evening!


Edited by SonyMDRer - 1/10/14 at 1:30pm
post #1148 of 2455
CASEBUDi XL is what I have for my K550, and its perfect fit.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
post #1149 of 2455
How do you guys store your 550? I removed the plastic mould from the box and store them flat inside, so you can admire them through the box window. I normally throw the box away but this one is pretty nice and heavy duty, it might as well function as a case. I don't want to put it on a hanger/stand because I'm worried about marking the foam on the inside of the headband.
Edited by Orkboy - 1/11/14 at 4:39am
post #1150 of 2455
Hey guys, can we find what is assumed as big head for K550, and good seal? I am 6'5", I assume that i have big head, my K550's are on 4 on both sides, I think that I have quite good seal, although pressing cups still makes bass ritcher.
Also, on a loudest, person very close to me (1-2 feets) cant hear anything, not even faintest sounds.
My headband is bit toward my forehead, not right in middle, and cups are slightly off in front and toward head in back, about 15-20 degrees.
Thats how I get best seal.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
post #1151 of 2455

After a week with these headphones I realize that it's imperative that I use my headphone amp with them. They really do come into their own then. I currently only own the Fiio E11 but it really does bring out the best in these cans. I don't think they were designed to be used solely with a digital MP3 player.

 

Then again I am a complete novice so thanks for putting up with me.

 

Good place this:)

post #1152 of 2455

As of late i've been driving my K550's with a vallhala/bifrost schiit stack. Yep....complete overkill. But for some reason it just sounds so much more full and not as bright. They still have the signature sound from before (with a normal E11/7/17) but it just seems to be more refined and smooth. Then again, the stack is completely out of its league. I guess this is what happens when i get curious. :P 

post #1153 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfslmao View Post
 

As of late i've been driving my K550's with a vallhala/bifrost schiit stack. Yep....complete overkill. But for some reason it just sounds so much more full and not as bright. They still have the signature sound from before (with a normal E11/7/17) but it just seems to be more refined and smooth. Then again, the stack is completely out of its league. I guess this is what happens when i get curious. :P 


I'm using my 550's with a Lyr!   These are very good headphones.  I got them for $212 at amazon :blink:   and had heard many good things about them.   They of course are not in the same league as my planars but  they are very comfortable, seal out much of the road noise and barking dogs on my street and that's something the planars cannot.  (Or any open back headphone for that matter.)    They sound very  good out of the Lyr.   Much of their comfort come from their light weight.  Almost half that of my audeze and hifiman headphones.   That much weight gets to you after awhile, I don't care how good they sound.  I  really don't think the 550's  deserve the "overkill" remark :wink:  Ha, I got "curious" myself and was rewarded with some really nice headphones. 

Cheers........

post #1154 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor34 View Post
 


I'm using my 550's with a Lyr!   These are very good headphones.  I got them for $212 at amazon :blink:   and had heard many good things about them.   They of course are not in the same league as my planars but  they are very comfortable, seal out much of the road noise and barking dogs on my street and that's something the planars cannot.  (Or any open back headphone for that matter.)    They sound very  good out of the Lyr.   Much of their comfort come from their light weight.  Almost half that of my audeze and hifiman headphones.   That much weight gets to you after awhile, I don't care how good they sound.  I  really don't think the 550's  deserve the "overkill" remark :wink:  Ha, I got "curious" myself and was rewarded with some really nice headphones. 

Cheers........

I guess curiosity doesn't always kill a cat. But besides that, when using the lyr/K550, did you notice a huge difference in SQ over a "standard" amp (E11/17/7...etc)? I'm just curious as how it responds to different amping and what not. And also, the K550's aren't very light. If anything they are on the heavy side. then again.....you are comparing it to an audeze and hifiman..... 

post #1155 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfslmao View Post
 

I guess curiosity doesn't always kill a cat. But besides that, when using the lyr/K550, did you notice a huge difference in SQ over a "standard" amp (E11/17/7...etc)? I'm just curious as how it responds to different amping and what not. And also, the K550's aren't very light. If anything they are on the heavy side. then again.....you are comparing it to an audeze and hifiman..... 


I've tried them on all my schiit gear except the mjolinr which is only balanced and the lyr is an improvement over all of them.      They weight in at 305g so maybe not light but close.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!