or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! - Page 76

post #1126 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Sq-wise.


the quick & dirty: K550 definitely had better sound stage & clarity & crispier/clear treble. Also had better bass extension down into the deep low frequencies. They could actually give a solid rumble when the soundtrack called for it, but I can see how some people may be disappointed w/ the bass quantity (being slightly basshead myself heh). I really loved the AKG bass though. I thought it was very detailed, textured with great tight bass notes. I never noticed the treble sounding metallic or silibant. Everything just sounded very clear & crisp, you can hear all the details that were covered up by more colored headphones.

 

The Momentums also had very good sound quality (clarity, detail). But nothing really stood out to me the way things stood out for me on the K550s. The Momentums do have a bass quantity boost compared to the AKGs.

 

However, both my brother & I agreed that the K550 had better overall sound quality. My brother actually noticed the bass boost on the Momentums & he has absolutely no audiophile/headphone background except for Bose Quiet Comforts lol. He said he thought that the Momentums were geared more towards a fun/enjoyment vs the K550 more clear for professional listening. He also brought up the discomfort issue with the Momentum. We had both for about 2 weeks and I ended hogging the K550 most of the time hahaha. It's been a while since I've direct compared em, so I can't really get too much more detail about everything else as I don't remember, but I remember strongly preferring the K550s.

post #1127 of 2456
Based on you guys' impressions, I think I'll go for the k545. I'd like to be able to use them portably.
post #1128 of 2456

...Just received my new pyle (e7) amp and I must say WOW! Simply amazing...Ive never used an amp before and it makes the k550 sound incredible! I truly believe that i am a headphone addict and my quest for perfect sound may have ended here...yeah right!... And whoever said bass is lacking on these is crazy! Im a battered club-kid and the bass rocks!

post #1129 of 2456

I just sold my third momentums 3 hours ago..... yes you read welll it was my 3rd pair... i tried three different momentums to try finding a pair that would fit me and i ended up selling them all... Everytime i sold one i felt sad because i really do love everything in those cans but the fit/seal was to anoying..... now i have 200 euros to spend..... i am thinking of buying a mdr 1r/k550 combination for home and outside use.... what do you guys think (i can get a used pair of mdr 1rs for 80 euros and a mint pair of k550's for 100)?

 

Any of these 2 will match my ex-beloved/hated momentums?

 

Pop, rock, and edm listener by the way....

 

Ps: Also what would a fiio e11 improve on the k550s?

post #1130 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

I just sold my third momentums 3 hours ago..... yes you read welll it was my 3rd pair... i tried three different momentums to try finding a pair that would fit me and i ended up selling them all... Everytime i sold one i felt sad because i really do love everything in those cans but the fit/seal was to anoying..... now i have 200 euros to spend..... i am thinking of buying a mdr 1r/k550 combination for home and outside use.... what do you guys think (i can get a used pair of mdr 1rs for 80 euros and a mint pair of k550's for 100)?

 

Any of these 2 will match my ex-beloved/hated momentums?

 

Pop, rock, and edm listener by the way....

 

Ps: Also what would a fiio e11 improve on the k550s?

hahaha i feel your pain. I did the same thing with my V-Moda M100s. Got them three separate times, but always ended up returning em due to fit/comfort issues.

 

I had the chance to play with all three: K550, Momentum, and MDR-1R at the same time for a few weeks. I actually ended up preferring both of those over the Momentum. I thought the K550 had better sound quality & the MDR-1R was insanely comfortable.

 

If you were trying to get two pairs of headphones, you should consider getting one open pair for home use & a closed pair for portable use.

post #1131 of 2456
I can get a pair of k550s as i said for 100 euros, a pair of hd598s for 120 and the pair of 1rs for 80. So...... You think the hds would be a better option than the k550s? Even considering my tastes and love for the momentums (slightly bass)?
I have mentioned earlier but as a reminder i also have a pair of cals and hd25s...
post #1132 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

I can get a pair of k550s as i said for 100 euros, a pair of hd598s for 120 and the pair of 1rs for 80. So...... You think the hds would be a better option than the k550s? Even considering my tastes and love for the momentums (slightly bass)?
I have mentioned earlier but as a reminder i also have a pair of cals and hd25s...

hahah yes, I remember you. seems like you are jumping to other threads for advice. Mmm... I personally don't know which one would be better as I never had the chance to hear the HD598s.

 

You need portability for sure? If so, then just get the MDR-1Rs. If not, just get the K550 (closed - if you need noise isolation) vs. HD598 (open - if you don't mind no noise isolation). No need to make things too complicated & get too many headphones at once. In the future, you can pick up something else & remember that the prices of headphones continue to drop the longer they are out. No rush. You only have one set of ears lol.

post #1133 of 2456

Got my 550s with Fiio e10, pretty impressed :atsmile: Cheers

post #1134 of 2456
Does simply walking around or turning your head make you lose the seal?
post #1135 of 2456

After a long hiatus from the K550 due to a wine-induced fubar trying to bend the headband tighter (resulting in a broken headband), they are resurrected like Frankenstein in a lightening storm via Home Depot metal strips, some ill-advised drilling, self-tapping metal screws and prodigious duct tape. Ugly but effective and the up side-- I can bend these to as tight as wanted, producing the seal they need even on my large head.

They have zero street value but they sound so damn good (I had forgotten), I don't care.

 

post #1136 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
 

After a long hiatus from the K550 due to a wine-induced fubar trying to bend the headband tighter (resulting in a broken headband), they are resurrected like Frankenstein in a lightening storm via Home Depot metal strips, some ill-advised drilling, self-tapping metal screws and prodigious duct tape. Ugly but effective and the up side-- I can bend these to as tight as wanted, producing the seal they need even on my large head.

They have zero street value but they sound so damn good (I had forgotten), I don't care.

 

 

:eek:

 

From now on, lay off the bottle while you are listening to music.  :D

post #1137 of 2456
''Ya see that son, that be a fine example of an audiophile''.
post #1138 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

:eek:

 

From now on, lay off the bottle while you are listening to music.  :D

No, never, never...you see, I'm Irish by decent.


Edited by tim3320070 - 1/2/14 at 8:21pm
post #1139 of 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
 

After a long hiatus from the K550 due to a wine-induced fubar trying to bend the headband tighter (resulting in a broken headband), they are resurrected like Frankenstein in a lightening storm via Home Depot metal strips, some ill-advised drilling, self-tapping metal screws and prodigious duct tape. Ugly but effective and the up side-- I can bend these to as tight as wanted, producing the seal they need even on my large head.

They have zero street value but they sound so damn good (I had forgotten), I don't care.

 

 

lmao

post #1140 of 2456

Well, I finally bought a pair of these today. I won't go into any details regarding first impressions etc as I understand the burn-in necessary for these cans.

 

One question I have though is: Do any of you have a good recommendation for a good case that these would fit into nicely?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!