Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 51

post #751 of 1805

u are one lucky chap..k550 is a giantkiller for such ppl.beerchug.gif

post #752 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked world View Post

After owning the K550 for a month or so I did a comparison with my other (beloved) headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT-990. I have used the Beyers for a couple of years and never really understood why people call them bright, but after having only listened to the AKG's for the last month... I understand why people think they are bright! Or maybe the K550's are on the "dark side"? I still love the Beyers but I think the K550's have a much more relaxed sound, which I might prefer... for the moment at least.

 

Some people consider the K550 as bright, so I can't imagine the DT-990 because I feel some harshness on the highs of the K550 which become fatiguing after a while.

post #753 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post

 

Some people consider the K550 as bright, so I can't imagine the DT-990 because I feel some harshness on the highs of the K550 which become fatiguing after a while.

Oh Mai gawd... I love my dt 990s and don't think they are bright, they can be with a crappy amp but I loves em

 

Non the less... I'm interested in these cans :D any where I can get them for uhh $200 xD [I'll browse the for sale threads ofc]

 

Still... I worry about the Fit... I'm pretty sure I have a big head... as my byer dt 990s take 3 Clicks of the extendo to fit my head....

 

Non the less, I love the look of the cans [and I was considering the Shure 940 but... BUILD QUALITY so I threw that idea out the window]

So I'm back to the k550, which hopefully is not as frail as the Shure is apprently... although I LOVE Byer build quality and wish everything was built as well q.q

 

Non the less I'll be using my K550 with a Hifiman Hm 601, I love the warm tubey sound of the DAP and it's good ole NOS Dac, it sounded magical with my dt 880s so it should work the the K550 as well, my next question is AMPAGE. I will be enjoying EDM with these so I'll need a portable bass boosting amp

 

For you owners, has any one tried the Fiio E12 and the Jds Labs C5? I'm ineterested in which has better bass, not to mention... I wouldn't mind a little more extension our of those highs. As I do like a bright can. although honestly... I want a closed version of the Dt 880 [which seems to be the k550, cuz the dt 770 just doesn't do the DT Closed Series justice]

 

Non the less, should I pair a Dark/Warm amp with a Warm Source, or a Bright Lean Amp with a Warm Source :O 

post #754 of 1805
K550 should do fine on 601.....i reckon. K550 dun need much power. Giv tat a shot first.
post #755 of 1805

Am i the only one around herre..  ;)

that needs to crank up the volume on my Laptop (vostro 3360) and my smartphone (htc one s) to get to my usual listening volume and desired bass? 

 

I´ve got the K550 for 10 days now, they´ve been burned in (or my brain at least) and i think i love them. I´m just not quite shure about my audiosources. 

These are my concernes: Depending on the song and the recording the bass that the k550 deliver can be realy great, but only if i crank up the volume on my source. For about 10% of my music collection even the loudest volume setting is not loud enough for me. 

So i´m considering buying a dac (fiio e10) to power these cans. Would that result in better audioquality? I mean, an audiosource thats not cranked up to its limmits should sound better than my laptops headphone jack on its limmit, right?
 

post #756 of 1805

doublepost

post #757 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

K550 should do fine on 601.....i reckon. K550 dun need much power. Giv tat a shot first.

Ofc it will, the dt 880 pro 250 ohm did fine on just the HM 880, but I want the amp to increase the sound stage, as well as teh bass when I needed it. I'm not one for un amping head phones. Just because I think it's very cool what the amp adds to the sound. Not to mention I MUCH prefer the Line out on the Hm 601 to the headphone out, the Line out is really a much better quality of sound, and to use the line out I'd need a amp.

 

the E12 users had confirmed my supecsions that the E12 like the E11 and E6 does not have the most expansive sound stage, so I think once again an amp like the C5 will be better for treble extension and instrument seperation. Espically keeping that clarity during a bass boost.

 

So I think I'll try the C5 first, but I do agree the Hm, 601 can power the k550 alone, but I want to use the Line out so I'll need an amp to l keep the volume down! 

post #758 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcam View Post

Am i the only one around herre..  ;)

that needs to crank up the volume on my Laptop (vostro 3360) and my smartphone (htc one s) to get to my usual listening volume and desired bass? 

 

I´ve got the K550 for 10 days now, they´ve been burned in (or my brain at least) and i think i love them. I´m just not quite shure about my audiosources. 

These are my concernes: Depending on the song and the recording the bass that the k550 deliver can be realy great, but only if i crank up the volume on my source. For about 10% of my music collection even the loudest volume setting is not loud enough for me. 

So i´m considering buying a dac (fiio e10) to power these cans. Would that result in better audioquality? I mean, an audiosource thats not cranked up to its limmits should sound better than my laptops headphone jack on its limmit, right?
 

xD nice

 

Yea I agree, a DAC will clean up the signal and should improve on the quality. As far as getting more bass... you'll maybe need to get a good Equalizer. Using FooBar and Electri-Q worked really well for me. Although Electri-Q's plug in has proven cumbersome for me -.-

 

So see if you can get Electri-Q plugin to work for you as it made even my dt 880s have some serious bass. Also I'm not sure how well a poartable amp would work it if was fed by dac... I know my DAP sounded better through a Full Size Amp, so maybe it could work.

 

Actually try the Fiio E07k, it's a dac and amp that or maybe the E17, that should give you the best an cheapest solution. my beloved oDac cost me around $150 to mention the price of a headphone amp. my Matrix was $200 andf my Millet Hybrid was $100. both serving different pourposes. So xD I think an E07k or an E17 [both have bass boosting amps as well s Dacs]

 

So a Dac Amp combo is your best bet for better sound a little more bass [without getting excessivly loud, as the high lvl of Sound Pressure if going to REALLY cause some health damage] 

post #759 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Oh Mai gawd... I love my dt 990s and don't think they are bright, they can be with a crappy amp but I loves em

 

I don't think they are too bright thought... I still love my DT-990's!
I run them with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and it's a great combo! Tubes make the Beyers shine! happy_face1.gif

 

But compared to the K550 they are kind of bright. I actually don't find anything in the K550's bright... might be because of my old dameged ears however...! basshead.gif

post #760 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked world View Post

 

I don't think they are too bright thought... I still love my DT-990's!
I run them with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and it's a great combo! Tubes make the Beyers shine! happy_face1.gif

 

But compared to the K550 they are kind of bright. I actually don't find anything in the K550's bright... might be because of my old dameged ears however...! basshead.gif

hmmm well U own the Dt 990, and the Koss Porta Pro as well as the K550, how would u compare the bass in the K550 to the dt 990, is it just as tight [it's won't be as promient due to the dt 990 being a very V shaped]

 

Also I love the Porta Pros <3 best sub $50 head phone I'd say! 

post #761 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

What is your problem? What's the deal with the hostility man? You do not know me! Why would you call me demented? Do you think that your ad hominem attacks make your perspective any more true?

 

 

 

in your view what is the weakest link for this can? and could you tell me why you think that?

 

If you want to act like a voodoo electrican and practice your wire worship freely, whatever. Enjoy But understand that people who actually understand the physics behind sound reproduction know that futzing with mere wires is just a faith-based, scientifically illiterate placebo. 

 

In my view the weakest links on the K550 are:

1) its out-of-control treble, tamed to a large degree by EQ to bring the treble in balance (Audyssey amp does a good job here);

2) followed by the difficulty of establishing a good seal (self evident); and

3) a long way behind those two, slight cavity resonances behind the driver in the can that are largely treatable with appropriate damping material (such as a tuft of Bonded Logic Ultratouch).

post #762 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS21 View Post

 

If you want to act like a voodoo electrican and practice your wire worship freely, whatever. Enjoy But understand that people who actually understand the physics behind sound reproduction know that futzing with mere wires is just a faith-based, scientifically illiterate placebo. 

 

In my view the weakest links on the K550 are:

1) its out-of-control treble, tamed to a large degree by EQ to bring the treble in balance (Audyssey amp does a good job here);

2) followed by the difficulty of establishing a good seal (self evident); and

3) a long way behind those two, slight cavity resonances behind the driver in the can that are largely treatable with appropriate damping material (such as a tuft of Bonded Logic Ultratouch).

So... any one have any ideas for a good mod for these cans. Anything that can Address that Seal issues... and Dampeing, how much are we talking about... I have enough Dynamex from my w1000x mods to do it

 

Also the ATH w1000x sounded lifeless dead and cold, before I figured out I needed to warp the headband... so that might work for these cans as well... 

post #763 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

So... any one have any ideas for a good mod for these cans. Anything that can Address that Seal issues...

Have you looked at the first post in this thread? smily_headphones1.gif
post #764 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

So... any one have any ideas for a good mod for these cans. Anything that can Address that Seal issues... and Dampeing, how much are we talking about... I have enough Dynamex from my w1000x mods to do it ***

Not sure what Dynamex is, but what's useful for the cavity resonance (a very minor issue) is some sort of loose damping material, such as the stuff in batts used for home insulation. Sticking car door deadener type materials on surfaces randomly isn't going to do anything meaningful. Fiberglass would work just fine, but it gets really itchy. My preferred material is Bonded Logic Ultratouch recycled cotton insulation.

 

Polyfil may help a little, but its acoustical properties are notably inferior to the insulation materials'. Still, if one is mostly bugged by the idea that there is a tweak one has not done, polyfil is fine. It won't hurt anything.

 

But ultimately EQ the highs and work out the seal, and they're pretty good. The cavity resonance is a very, very minor coloration to the midrange, and is totally swamped by the overbearing highs.

post #765 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS21 View Post

Not sure what Dynamex is, but what's useful for the cavity resonance (a very minor issue) is some sort of loose damping material, such as the stuff in batts used for home insulation. Sticking car door deadener type materials on surfaces randomly isn't going to do anything meaningful. Fiberglass would work just fine, but it gets really itchy. My preferred material is Bonded Logic Ultratouch recycled cotton insulation.

 

Polyfil may help a little, but its acoustical properties are notably inferior to the insulation materials'. Still, if one is mostly bugged by the idea that there is a tweak one has not done, polyfil is fine. It won't hurt anything.

 

But ultimately EQ the highs and work out the seal, and they're pretty good. The cavity resonance is a very, very minor coloration to the midrange, and is totally swamped by the overbearing highs.

I doubt the highs are as bad as ppl say. I own the DT 990 which is considered by some to be gawd awfully bright, so the only issue I have is the Seal. And btw Dyanamex was helpful in making my w1000x one super Tight headphone. 

 

And Oh wow SUPER DUPER headPhone Bending to the RESCUE. -.-

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!