Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 46

post #676 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post

 

I have A/B numerous times between K550 and Q701 using E17. It seemed that the bass boosted on K550 is of lower frequency giving more impact while Q701 are of slightly higher frequency where it is louder but less impactful.

 

If you perform some critical listening, you may notice Q701 has higher resolution and detail in the treble range. While K550 comparatively is a little less resolving, ie sounds doesn't sounds as true. But you have to be really picky and focus to pick out the difference. (cymbal, hit hat...)

 

The above observation is subject to change as it is based on a pretty well seasoned K550 and a fairly new Q701.

 

Also, K550 is less picky in listening environment. I can completely immersed and enjoy the smooth and clear sound anywhere. While for the Q701, because of the open nature, the sound signature changes drastically depends on background noise, type of room, size of room .....

 

Both HP are wonderful!

 

There sound changes depending on room size and type? Aren't you exaggerating? 

post #677 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post

 

There sound changes depending on room size and type? Aren't you exaggerating? 

 

 

The easiest experiment you can try is go down to your car. Drive around the block with your headphone on. Open each window, half way open and full down. Then try with all windows open and all windows closed. If you are still not convinced, try listen to your headphone normally in a room. Then drape a duvet over your head, if you still can't notice any difference, then I have nothing else to say.  ; )

 

Oh! one more thing you can try is to place your palm on one side of your headphone. You can immediately hear the sound reflecting from your palm.


Edited by RTTO - 6/22/13 at 11:38am
post #678 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post


The easiest experiment you can try is go down to your car. Drive around the block with your headphone on. Open each window, half way open and full down. Then try with all windows open and all windows closed.

If you roll the windows down, you'll get more road noise and wind noise interfering with the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post

Then drape a duvet over your head.

Who listens to headphones with a duvet cover draped over their head? That's not going to simulate the different room acoustic effects you claimed above. LOL
Edited by cel4145 - 6/22/13 at 12:30pm
post #679 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

quote name="RTTO" url="/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/675#post_9549615"]

The easiest experiment you can try is go down to your car. Drive around the block with your headphone on. Open each window, half way open and full down. Then try with all windows open and all windows closed.[/quote]

If you roll the windows down, you'll get more road noise and wind noise interfering with the sound.
Who listens to headphones with a duvet cover draped over their head? That's not going to simulate the different room acoustic effects you claimed above. LOL

What I mentioned is some of the method you can A/B different environment with a twitch of a finger or some effortlessly throw a blanket over your head. Of course, a more real life experiment would be listen music in your carpeted bedroom, then strenuously move down to the frig. in a tiled kitchen to grab a box of milk....  ; )

 

Whatever way you choose to experiment depends on which type of potato you are... ie. couch or exercise... :)

post #680 of 1782

New type of religion emerging... room acoustics for headphones. Nice.

post #681 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post

What I mentioned is some of the method you can A/B different environment with a twitch of a finger or some effortlessly throw a blanket over your head. Of course, a more real life experiment would be listen music in your carpeted bedroom, then strenuously move down to the frig. in a tiled kitchen to grab a box of milk....  ; )

Whatever way you choose to experiment depends on which type of potato you are... ie. couch or exercise... smily_headphones1.gif

You originally stated,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post

While for the Q701, because of the open nature, the sound signature changes drastically depends on background noise, type of room, size of room .....

Certainly, background noise will have an effect. But size and type of room? The headphones aren't putting out enough sound to be able to interact with the room environment.

As for sticking a blanket over your head, sure, because you might effectively reduce the openness of the headphones. But a room won't have that effect.
post #682 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post

New type of religion emerging... room acoustics for headphones. Nice.

Yeah. More people making stuff up as they go along wink.gif
post #683 of 1782

Guess so ;-)

 

You found some nicer words on the topic though.

post #684 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post

Guess so ;-)

 

You found some nicer words on the topic though.

What about we put it this way:

 

"The interaction between background noise with the size and type of room"

 

eg. Say, you listen to your headphone in your own room with closed door and window. Then venture outside to your backyard. Then back into guest washroom no bigger than 5 x 5.Last but no least inside your car with all windows closed. There you have it. The sound of 4 seasons. : ) 

post #685 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

 

 

i posted this b4....v effective.

cut out a thin felt n put it behind the driver after unscrewing the 4 or 6 screws..cant remember.


 What material is that ring made of? I mean, is it just regular foam or something else?


Edited by CheeseWithWorms - 6/22/13 at 4:09pm
post #686 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTO View Post

What about we put it this way:

"The interaction between background noise with the size and type of room"

eg. Say, you listen to your headphone in your own room with closed door and window. Then venture outside to your backyard. Then back into guest washroom no bigger than 5 x 5.Last but no least inside your car with all windows closed. There you have it. The sound of 4 seasons. : ) 

Why don't we just not talk about it at all? Putting forth your made up theory about open headphones seems terribly off topic in an appreciation thread for a specific CLOSED headphone. LOL
post #687 of 1782
It's a piece of 1mm felt tat was lying around my beyer, so I cut it up n gave it a new assignment.biggrin.gif


I believe some hv more sensitive ears n will hear the diff sound pressure on either ear...
Thus affecting their enjoyment of open cans.

For me, I have to up the volume ...upupup b4 it's "normal" tongue.gif
So whatever sized room is fine with me...
Just need it to be silent.
post #688 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post


 What material is that ring made of? I mean, is it just regular foam or something else?

 

I might try this one. Is this more or less effective then placing the felt in front of the drivers?

post #689 of 1782

i did put a full disc infront of the driver,

but that didnt cut off the "spike" somewhere in the mid/highs.

then the back-disc did the trick.

post #690 of 1782

What about other frequencies? Nothing negative happens? doesn't it sound like it has a blanket?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!