anybody with glasses and impressed with these headphones ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphone for work Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- [Question] Looking for a headphone + tinnitus Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Headphones for Classical Last post on 11/12/12 at 7:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was looking for an excellent universal IEM with multiple drivers to fit my portable listening needs. Ideally, I would have my beloved LCD-2's in a portable package. I have become addicted to the...
First I’d like to thank Rock Jaw for sending me the Alfa Genus for review. If you haven’t heard of Rock Jaw before, I don’t blame you. They are a rather new company that recently came out with a...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images PREAMBLE Brainwavz is a now well established manufacturer of headphones in the value for money...
I bought these headphones a little over a week ago, and thought I should post my impressions. I work in a small office, and sit close to my boss, who is constantly on the phone, so I wanted a...
This is a work in progress, everytime I listen to them with a different source, there's always something new emerging and changing the overall perspective someway. Sources used: Macbook Pro,...
The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 167912/28/12 at 7:30ampost #228 of 167912/28/12 at 8:40ampost #229 of 167912/29/12 at 9:34amQuote:post #230 of 167912/29/12 at 10:02ampost #231 of 167912/29/12 at 10:08ampost #232 of 167912/29/12 at 10:25amI had the hd650 for over 3 years. i sold it and got the lcd2. Any other headphone i would have got, i would have kept the hd650. i loved those cans, but lcd2 made a good replacement. i recently got the k550 for office use. they have a different sound than hd 650. faster and more controled bass, more detail and brighter. i have a friend that sad the k550 have a wider sounstage than hd 650. i disagree . it might give you this impression because of the treble, but i think hd 650 has a more defined and fuller soundstage. Hd 650 has a smoother sound. The bass is deeper but looser. My impressions is that hd 650 has a more hifi sound but both are very good and k550 is awesome for a closed headphone. I would buy them both :d
Edited by dan.gheorghe - 12/29/12 at 10:42ampost #233 of 167912/29/12 at 5:09pm
Yeah, dan.gheorghe pretty much hit it, I'd say the HD650 is definitely more holographic, with better imaging, but both have very nice soundstage. The K550 sometimes sounds a bit bright when coming off the HD650, but it's because of the more natural bass and pronounced treble. Both headphones definitely compliment each other very well. Their signatures are quite different, but the sound is really enjoyable on both.post #234 of 167912/30/12 at 5:59pm
I agree with dan.gheorghe & dxanex but I have to say, the reason I bought K550 (beside their tonal signature) was the soundstage.
It reminds me of Senn 800 even though it's not quite as refined. Especially when you're listening to orchestra. K550 can produce wider soundstage than Senn 600 & 650. While I was auditioning Senn 800, one of the the song I played was Michael Bolton's In The Arms Of Love. It gave me goose bump listening when the orchestra came. It never felt the same way when I listened that song with 600 or 650. But the same moment happened with K550 IMO.post #235 of 16791/1/13 at 2:56amI do agree that the sound signature may resemble hd800 in some aspects, but not the soundstage, not even a liitle tiny bit. The k550s' sounstage is microscopic compared to hd800.
With k550 i didn't even realize that the lotr soundtracks were recorded in a concert hall. I still remain with the impression that hd650 has a wider more natural soundstage.
On k550 the sound starts in force but stops somewhat abruptly(sounstage wise). On hd 650 the sound starts more subtle but flies further away. the imaging might be better on k550 though.Don't get me wrong. i very much like the k550. it has a very good soundsage for a closed headphone.
Edited by dan.gheorghe - 1/3/13 at 9:17ampost #236 of 16791/3/13 at 1:20pmI can relate to what he is saying with the K550 soundstage. Since I started using my K550 with my Lyr I feel I have re-discovered them. I find myself sometimes listening to them instead of my HD650 (which are my favorite headphones). And when I do I have the same thought every time of how impossible it seems to be getting such space out of a closed pair of cans. I haven't A/B'd them to put my finger on it exactly but for some reason the K550 does seem to leave even more of an impression on me in regards sound stage and space than when I listen to the 650.
I feel like the K550 is the perfect companion to my Sennys. The subtle differences in more realism vs musicality are a nice change up. Not to mention a headphone I can really enjoy sitting in bed without waking up my wife.
But again, I did love them before, but it really is the combo with my Lyr that really brought them to that level for me (used with an impedance adapter).post #237 of 16791/3/13 at 9:39pmQuote:
Speaking of, Doc I know you mentioned the impedance adapter in another thread...did you ever get the chance to measure it to see it's impedance? Still looking at trying one out for myself...post #238 of 16791/3/13 at 11:34pm
Just got a pair after looking for a good pair of closed isolating full sized headphones. First impressions with little to no burn in: pretty neutral. Definitely not bass light, so I must have a largish head :) Nothing really offensive, sound-wise. Will listen to some orchestral stuff later to test the soundstage. Top of the headband already seems like it may need some additional padding, but I'll see if it'll soften up over time. Ears definitely get warm quickly.post #239 of 16791/4/13 at 1:04pmpost #240 of 16791/9/13 at 7:26am
Got these about 2 weeks ago and am totally in love with them. I've never heard such clarity and soundstage from a pair of headphones before, closed or otherwise. Bass extension is quite nice, despite lacking the impact of other similarly priced 'phones such as the D2000's. Only qualm so far is that the headband causes the top of my head to hurt after a while, but I'm hoping that this will go away with time (if not I may try some extra padding up there). Great 'phones.
- The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 24bit/192KHz vs 24bit/96KHz 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Westone UMPRO 30 - LIKE NEW CONDITION WITH BOX + ADDITIONAL... 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by lin0003
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Brooko
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by twister6
- › beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones by Xyrium
- › DacMagic XS USB DAC Headphone Amp by Davidoffdgh
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)