- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphone for work Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- [Question] Looking for a headphone + tinnitus Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Headphones for Classical Last post on 11/12/12 at 7:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Okay..well this is my first review..if you may call it so..hence any,,amatuerish mistakes be forgiven..here we go.. So i saved some money(i'm always short of it) for the Vsonic gr02 be..after...
I used to be sure that I am not a basshead. My favorite IEMs for the longest time were RE-0, my favorite headphones were (and still are) various variations of ATH "sweet treble" sound signature,...
It's exactly what it says it is. I've tried some pretty incredibly expensive DAPs - Honestly, in my opinion, a lot of them just add colouration, or EQ, or look pretty. Some of them do perform...
Jazz sounds real good on these. Classic music sounds pretty clear, like when the violin is playing and stuff. Vocals sound pretty good. 80's sound vibrant. dubstep/hardstyle, sounds...
No other headphone has surprised me in the manner that the Tactic 3D managed to. I originally purchased them because I needed headphones to do a Skype interview, and I wanted something...
The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 11post #151 of 66712/1/12 at 11:29amI got mine used off another head-fier and they work like a charm. No glue issues no adjustment issues.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 66712/1/12 at 11:30am
my headband does have the glue issue you mentioned. I have been pushing it back on the metal if it starts to pop off. It is one area that AKG should improve on for sure. But I will fix it myself if I decide these are keepers for me.post #153 of 66712/1/12 at 11:42am
Thank you very much for your replies.
The adjustment issue(difference/not so good clicking to positions from the one side) was not a deal breaker for me,but the headband pad worried me because I think that some kind of cable pass through there,and if it got worse (unglued) I may had a problem.
The thing is that I paid 200 euro here in Greece for it,and I was not satisfied with these issues so I returned it back.post #154 of 66712/1/12 at 12:18pm
at that price I would have returned them as well, I paid $199 for my pair so will fix the glue. having said that I may reconsider my score of these for build quality. I think that metal center console must have the cable underneath it as I can not feel a cable under the padding.
So just hooked up my little tube amp and wow does it ever pair up with the K550 well. It adds a very nice warmth to the sound.post #155 of 66712/1/12 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by john53
Dweaver(and other 550 owners too),I had two small issues with build quality of my 550's,the first is that the headband pad was not so nice glued to the metal headband,leaving some kind of small gaps(basically at the two edges of the pad) between the headband and the pad,where you could also notice some glue.The second issue was that the left adjustment didn't click properly on the numbers,compared to the right one (both feeling and "click" sound).So I returned them and got money back,but I'm thinking of buying them again some time due to their great sound.
Did anyone else noticed the headband pad not so good glued to the headband,and with the adjustments to feel different one from the other?
I have a K550 and no problem with the headband nor with he adjustement.post #156 of 66712/1/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Same. This is the first that I've heard of these issues and consider this headphone rock solid.post #157 of 66712/1/12 at 4:12pmpost #158 of 66712/1/12 at 4:23pm
I think the seal issues with these cans is kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. I have a smaller than average head and I dont have issues with the fit. I can wear them with a great amount of comfort and no seal problems on the first two settings. For the sake of comparison, I wear my M50s and my DT990s most comfortably without having to expand the headband at all.post #159 of 66712/1/12 at 5:32pmpost #160 of 66712/1/12 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by duotone
I would be particularly interested to hear how your 550's compare to your B&W P5's. I enjoy listening to music on my P5's but for long listening sessions they don't work we'll for me at all (too uncomfortable) and tracks with a lot of brass, trumpets etc. at the forefront I cannot enjoy as they sound harsh to my ears.
You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets? The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.
Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.post #161 of 66712/1/12 at 6:49pmThread StarterQuote:
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.post #162 of 66712/1/12 at 11:55pmpost #163 of 66712/2/12 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Curly21029
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.
I agree with you. And a lack of HF extension can make upper midrange/lower treble sound cold and bright.
I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.post #164 of 66712/2/12 at 7:47amThread StarterQuote:
...could I be confusing it with the P3? (auditioned both back-to-back, liked neither... pretty looking, though)Quote:
Don't expect a monumental change, but the high frequencies did smooth a bit after accruing some hours. I still find, however, that some violins can get too close for comfort.
- The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Get a $20 Coupon towards your next Headphone/Earphone purchase when... 59 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FXD80 vs. MEElectronics A161P 1 minute ago
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 5 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe