- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for college dorm Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:11am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphone for work Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- [Question] Looking for a headphone + tinnitus Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Headphones for Classical Last post on 11/12/12 at 7:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/14/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 11post #151 of 172012/1/12 at 11:29amI got mine used off another head-fier and they work like a charm. No glue issues no adjustment issues.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 172012/1/12 at 11:30am
my headband does have the glue issue you mentioned. I have been pushing it back on the metal if it starts to pop off. It is one area that AKG should improve on for sure. But I will fix it myself if I decide these are keepers for me.post #153 of 172012/1/12 at 11:42am
Thank you very much for your replies.
The adjustment issue(difference/not so good clicking to positions from the one side) was not a deal breaker for me,but the headband pad worried me because I think that some kind of cable pass through there,and if it got worse (unglued) I may had a problem.
The thing is that I paid 200 euro here in Greece for it,and I was not satisfied with these issues so I returned it back.post #154 of 172012/1/12 at 12:18pm
at that price I would have returned them as well, I paid $199 for my pair so will fix the glue. having said that I may reconsider my score of these for build quality. I think that metal center console must have the cable underneath it as I can not feel a cable under the padding.
So just hooked up my little tube amp and wow does it ever pair up with the K550 well. It adds a very nice warmth to the sound.post #155 of 172012/1/12 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by john53
Dweaver(and other 550 owners too),I had two small issues with build quality of my 550's,the first is that the headband pad was not so nice glued to the metal headband,leaving some kind of small gaps(basically at the two edges of the pad) between the headband and the pad,where you could also notice some glue.The second issue was that the left adjustment didn't click properly on the numbers,compared to the right one (both feeling and "click" sound).So I returned them and got money back,but I'm thinking of buying them again some time due to their great sound.
Did anyone else noticed the headband pad not so good glued to the headband,and with the adjustments to feel different one from the other?
I have a K550 and no problem with the headband nor with he adjustement.post #156 of 172012/1/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Same. This is the first that I've heard of these issues and consider this headphone rock solid.post #157 of 172012/1/12 at 4:12pmpost #158 of 172012/1/12 at 4:23pm
I think the seal issues with these cans is kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. I have a smaller than average head and I dont have issues with the fit. I can wear them with a great amount of comfort and no seal problems on the first two settings. For the sake of comparison, I wear my M50s and my DT990s most comfortably without having to expand the headband at all.post #159 of 172012/1/12 at 5:32pmpost #160 of 172012/1/12 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by duotone
I would be particularly interested to hear how your 550's compare to your B&W P5's. I enjoy listening to music on my P5's but for long listening sessions they don't work we'll for me at all (too uncomfortable) and tracks with a lot of brass, trumpets etc. at the forefront I cannot enjoy as they sound harsh to my ears.
You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets? The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.
Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.post #161 of 172012/1/12 at 6:49pmThread StarterQuote:
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.post #162 of 172012/1/12 at 11:55pmpost #163 of 172012/2/12 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Curly21029
I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?"
But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range. Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.
I agree with you. And a lack of HF extension can make upper midrange/lower treble sound cold and bright.
I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.post #164 of 172012/2/12 at 7:47amThread StarterQuote:
...could I be confusing it with the P3? (auditioned both back-to-back, liked neither... pretty looking, though)Quote:
Don't expect a monumental change, but the high frequencies did smooth a bit after accruing some hours. I still find, however, that some violins can get too close for comfort.
- The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 21 seconds ago
- › HeadStage Arrow 4G *Priced to Sell!* 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables Hybrid Audeze cable. 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › Rookie needs some advices. Looking for Closed Headphones. 3 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis Meet? 4 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow 3G 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN HE-400i touring event is coming. 5 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)