Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 86

post #1276 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStorm90 View Post
 

Do you recommend these cans at 140€ new? I'm not an audiophile but I'm searching for a good Hi-Fi headphone with a lightly warm sound (not too much analytical). The main source will be a FiiO E17


Wonderful sound in my opinion!  Paired with the E17, I think you will be very pleased.  I paid $130 for refurb and have been most satisfied as I have paired them with several amps, E17 included.  You can modify to suit your taste with the E17.   Enjoy!

post #1277 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyDe29 View Post
 

Would you say that the Alpha Pads reduce discomfort from heat? The main issue I have with these headphones is that wearing them for extended periods of time, even just 45 minutes to an hour, they begin to become uncomfortable because of heat and pressing against my ears.

 

Also, in another thread I started, someone mentioned that I should try to find velour ear pads for these, but searching around I have not been able to find any real confirmation on whether there are velour pads that fit the k550 (though technically I have the k551).

 

EDIT: Also, would you say that the Alpha Pads decrease bass? The reason I'm a bit hesitant to buy the pads is because with their $60 price tag I could just upgrade to some other better closed-back headphones.


I have the Alpha's on mine and they sound is pretty much the same... just a lot more comfortable... the only difference of note is due to the pads being deeper and the driver being further from the ear, they require more volume knob input to match the old pads levels.

post #1278 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 


I have the Alpha's on mine and they sound is pretty much the same... just a lot more comfortable... the only difference of note is due to the pads being deeper and the driver being further from the ear, they require more volume knob input to match the old pads levels.

 

 

Was it hard to change the pads?

post #1279 of 1751
Nope super easy... Maybe 5 minutes.
post #1280 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post


I have the Alpha's on mine and they sound is pretty much the same... just a lot more comfortable... the only difference of note is due to the pads being deeper and the driver being further from the ear, they require more volume knob input to match the old pads levels.

So just to confirm, the Alpha Pads, right?
https://mrspeakers.com/product/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

And the seal is definitely better/easier? That's the thing I am interested most in.
post #1281 of 1751
Yes and yes...
post #1282 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

Yes and yes...
Thanks!

I guess I know what my next purchase is. biggrin.gif
post #1283 of 1751

Anyone else's pair get really bassy after ~100 hours? Initially they were pretty weak on the bass, even with a good seal. However, after running them through a JDS C421 amp for most of it (with high bass setting) they sound much more boomy.

 

Could be placebo but I have a few different pairs including hd600's and beforehand I found it's bass to be weaker than the 600's. Now it's much stronger. I love it.

 

I thought they basically ruled out the "burn in" thing as being untrue, but it seems otherwise in my experience of the k550s.


Edited by Jt93 - 3/21/14 at 1:18am
post #1284 of 1751
In the contrary, burn in was confirmed to be real. Having high bass settings like you said has a lot to do with it, but yeah, as is, the 550s have slight bass emphasis and quite nice bass extension. Solid bass for me since day 1 though! Might indeed be you, as your hearing varies from day to day depending on many factors..
post #1285 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post

In the contrary, burn in was confirmed to be real.

By whom? Tyll Hertsens found it to be mostly psychological:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break
post #1286 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyDe29 View Post

Huh, now that is interesting. Are there specific instructions for the K550/551?

Not that I'm aware of. Just cut the tops long enough to fit. It might take a few tries to get the length right.
post #1287 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

By whom? Tyll Hertsens found it to be mostly psychological:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Really?
post #1288 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

Really?

Really. The article that I linked is a followup (Jan 2012) to the subjective tests with objective measurements on Q701. These measurements show insignificant FR changes over 300 hours of break-in. They also show that there is a significant (1.5 dB) change in IMD over the period. This noise is 60 to 75 dB below the signal. That's below most people's ability to consciously notice unless they're specifically listening for that noise. The article isn't proof either way, but it does strongly indicate that the night-and-day changes attributed to break-in are mostly psychological.
post #1289 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

Really. The article that I linked is a followup (Jan 2012) to the subjective tests with objective measurements on Q701. These measurements show insignificant FR changes over 300 hours of break-in. They also show that there is a significant (1.5 dB) change in IMD over the period. This noise is 60 to 75 dB below the signal. That's below most people's ability to consciously notice unless they're specifically listening for that noise. The article isn't proof either way, but it does strongly indicate that the night-and-day changes attributed to break-in are mostly psychological.

Actually, it kinda is. It shows that naive measurements cannot be equated with the perception of the human ear. End of story.

Edit: Solely as an additional note, I never believed in breaking until I got my 702s and I've been doing this for 30+ years. It's entirely possible, and I mean that in the best way, that you (personally) have not come across a similar event in the course of your own experience. Give it time. I know that I essentially recited all the naivete one sees here until ~1986. What happened then? I actually heard quality audio equipment in my own system. It was nothing short of a revelation, as I firmly believed that I had very good sound driven by a NAD integrated. One of the pieces, as a side note, was (then) panned by a major populist publication for its measurements - no dynamic headroom. Well, the amp had a regulated PSU. Duh. Times change, we learn more....
Edited by Shaffer - 3/21/14 at 11:20am
post #1290 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

with the perception of the human ear. End of story.

Which is mostly psychological, as Tyll describes quite eloquently at the end of the Jan 2012 article:
Quote:
The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!