Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! - Page 68

post #1006 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsont View Post

agreed.

Indeed. I think he has problem getting a good fit on original pads, since it may alter the sound signature.
post #1007 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinghui0711 View Post


Indeed. I think he has problem getting a good fit on original pads, since it may alter the sound signature.

I don't have a problem with the fit, I just have a problem with AKG pads in general.That is why I changed the pads on my K702, K271 and K240. I prefer leather pads to vinyl and pleather. Pleather and vinyl get sticky in 1 minute and it annoys me. Not comfortable either.

post #1008 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 

I don't have a problem with the fit, I just have a problem with AKG pads in general.That is why I changed the pads on my K702, K271 and K240. I prefer leather pads to vinyl and pleather. Pleather and vinyl get sticky in 1 minute and it annoys me. Not comfortable either.


Then that's YOUR PROBLEM.

 

Calling them "VERY CRAP" is not very informative and highly bias for no good reason.

post #1009 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsont View Post
 


Then that's YOUR PROBLEM.

 

Calling them "VERY CRAP" is not very informative and highly bias for no good reason.


My problem is also the problem of many others.

 

Any problem people will find with headphones is highly subjective. Sound, comfort, etc. No one has the same ear/head size, no one has the same sensibility to sound, no one has the same perception of sound, no one knows for true what neutral sound is. I have the right to find these headphones pads sticky (and I have seen many others complain about AKG pads). I also have thr right to find these headphone too harsh on treble (most people will tell you they are indeed compared to many other headphone brands). It may be my problem (and the problem of others), but calling this as non-informative is quite funny. There are headphone companies that take care about every detail of the headphone, and the pads' quality is not too be taken as a bonus. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic for example have understood this well. AKG on the other hand have failed miserably on most of their products. Of course here, Stax and Audeze pads can save them...

post #1010 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


My problem is also the problem of many others.

 

Any problem people will find with headphones is highly subjective. Sound, comfort, etc. No one has the same ear/head size, no one has the same sensibility to sound, no one has the same perception of sound, no one knows for true what neutral sound is. I have the right to find these headphones pads sticky (and I have seen many others complain about AKG pads). I also have thr right to find these headphone too harsh on treble (most people will tell you they are indeed compared to many other headphone brands). It may be my problem (and the problem of others), but calling this as non-informative is quite funny. There are headphone companies that take care about every detail of the headphone, and the pads' quality is not too be taken as a bonus. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic for example have understood this well. AKG on the other hand have failed miserably on most of their products. Of course here, Stax and Audeze pads can save them...

 

I understand very well any type of sound is subjective. you do not have to elaborate on examples of what is consider as subjective.

 

What I have against your comment is your comment of "VERY CRAP".

 

You say it is "quite funny" for me to complain about what is uninformative.

 

Then can you explain to me how "VERY CRAP" is informative?

You seem to like to elaborate on things that do not require elaboration, you might as well elaborate on "VERY CRAP" as well.

 

Only if you can successfully do this will I take the rest of your criticism against this headphone seriously.

post #1011 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsont View Post
 

 

I understand very well any type of sound is subjective. you do not have to elaborate on examples of what is consider as subjective.

 

What I have against your comment is your comment of "VERY CRAP".

 

You say it is "quite funny" for me to complain about what is uninformative.

 

Then can you explain to me how "VERY CRAP" is informative?

You seem to like to elaborate on things that do not require elaboration, you might as well elaborate on "VERY CRAP" as well.

 

Only if you can successfully do this will I take the rest of your criticism against this headphone seriously.


Ok. These pads are soft but they're made of cheap material and from the looks of it they will deteriorate very rapidly. I verified that I wasn't the only one making a sticky mess with them after 1 minute of wearing. How is this great engineering? You pay 200 dollars for a headphone pair and you get this. AKG could have sold these 300 USD instead of 200 USD and not cut in the essentials like the pads (both ear and headband). If you look around this thread, you will see lots of people trying to find mods for these major flaws.

post #1012 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


My problem is also the problem of many others.

 

Any problem people will find with headphones is highly subjective. Sound, comfort, etc. No one has the same ear/head size, no one has the same sensibility to sound, no one has the same perception of sound, no one knows for true what neutral sound is. I have the right to find these headphones pads sticky (and I have seen many others complain about AKG pads). I also have thr right to find these headphone too harsh on treble (most people will tell you they are indeed compared to many other headphone brands). It may be my problem (and the problem of others), but calling this as non-informative is quite funny. There are headphone companies that take care about every detail of the headphone, and the pads' quality is not too be taken as a bonus. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic for example have understood this well. AKG on the other hand have failed miserably on most of their products. Of course here, Stax and Audeze pads can save them...

 

 

Many others?  You've taken a survey?  

 

Your problem could also be the problem of many others.   You are assuming too much by claiming that your problem is also shared by many others. 

 

Let me play your own game:

 

I love the K550 pads.    My love is shared by the 99.9%  of the people who put the K550 on.   Many others do not have a problem with the K550 pads, therefore, anyone who claims that AKG pads are crap are completely wrong.

 

See what happens when you pull facts out of your...err...thin air?

 

 

I love the pads - they are really comfy and they provide incredible isolation - but I don't doubt that there might be other pads that could work better for some people.   

post #1013 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


Ok. These pads are soft but they're made of cheap material and from the looks of it they will deteriorate very rapidly.

 

Now you are assuming that the pads will deteriorate very rapidly. :cool:

post #1014 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsont View Post

Only if you can successfully do this will I take the rest of your criticism against this headphone seriously.

He's already already griped about how bad the treble is, describing them in a way that would make them unlistenable to you or I if we thought they sounded like that. Yet he still listens to them. Now griping about the pads on AKGs as a general problem, but still buys AKGs knowing what the pads are like. And despite griping about the SQ of the K550s, bought expensive Lawton pads to try with them. When the actions are in such conflict with the words, I can't ever take someone seriously. LOL
post #1015 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


He's already already griped about how bad the treble is, describing them in a way that would make them unlistenable to you or I if we thought they sounded like that. Yet he still listens to them. Now griping about the pads on AKGs as a general problem, but still buys AKGs knowing what the pads are like. And despite griping about the SQ of the K550s, bought expensive Lawton pads to try with them. When the actions are in such conflict with the words, I can't ever take someone seriously. LOL


Because when I don't like smething on first hand I generally keep on trying. In most cases it pays. The sound signature is something I will try to get used to. Still hurts my ears, but at lower volumes it it listenable. The headphones have some qualities and you have to find out about them. Oh and when I said many people had this problem, it's because I'm actually reading reviews on head-fi and other forums. Are these people lying?

post #1016 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


Because when I don't like smething on first hand I generally keep on trying. In most cases it pays. The sound signature is something I will try to get used to. Still hurts my ears, but at lower volumes it it listenable. The headphones have some qualities and you have to find out about them. Oh and when I said many people had this problem, it's because I'm actually reading reviews on head-fi and other forums. Are these people lying?

 

Most of the people experimenting with the pads are trying to get a good seal.  

 

The people who find the treble too harsh usually just sell their pair and try something else.  Perhaps they would have kept their K550s if they had had a pair of LCD pads at hand.   

 

The post about your experience with LCD pads is very informative...the one where you state that the original pads are crap, not so much.

post #1017 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


Ok. These pads are soft but they're made of cheap material and from the looks of it they will deteriorate very rapidly. I verified that I wasn't the only one making a sticky mess with them after 1 minute of wearing. How is this great engineering? You pay 200 dollars for a headphone pair and you get this. AKG could have sold these 300 USD instead of 200 USD and not cut in the essentials like the pads (both ear and headband). If you look around this thread, you will see lots of people trying to find mods for these major flaws.


First of all, I would like to say thank you for your response.

 

But I do not understand why you keep dodging my question:

"Then can you explain to me how "VERY CRAP" is informative?"

 

You explained to me why you and others do not enjoy the earpads, but you keep dodging the explanation of "VERY CRAP"

 

P.S. Could you read my thread below regarding my theory on why AKG chose these pads instead of velour or leather? Can you possibly agree with me they chose these pads specifically for these headphones and they are not trying to cheap out on this headphone?


Edited by gilsont - 11/11/13 at 8:04pm
post #1018 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

 

Many others?  You've taken a survey?  

 

Your problem could also be the problem of many others.   You are assuming too much by claiming that your problem is also shared by many others. 

 

Let me play your own game:

 

I love the K550 pads.    My love is shared by the 99.9%  of the people who put the K550 on.   Many others do not have a problem with the K550 pads, therefore, anyone who claims that AKG pads are crap are completely wrong.

 

See what happens when you pull facts out of your...err...thin air?

 

 

I love the pads - they are really comfy and they provide incredible isolation - but I don't doubt that there might be other pads that could work better for some people.   

 

Very well put.

 

May I add, I love the pads too.

They are extremely comfortable for me and perfect excellent isolation.

Most of the time, to have good isolation is to have a lot of clamping force, its amazing how these pads could provide so much isolation with so little clamping force.

 

In fact, I've tried other pads such as LCD2 pads and Velour pads and they didn't sound as good as the pleather pads IMO.

 

I'm thinking AKG intentionally made these pads for this headphone because they wanted a specific sound out of them and... that could not have been achieve with other pads.


Edited by gilsont - 11/11/13 at 8:05pm
post #1019 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post


Because when I don't like smething on first hand I generally keep on trying. In most cases it pays. The sound signature is something I will try to get used to. Still hurts my ears, but at lower volumes it it listenable. The headphones have some qualities and you have to find out about them. Oh and when I said many people had this problem, it's because I'm actually reading reviews on head-fi and other forums. Are these people lying?

I didn't make any comment about what other people say. I was referring to your gripe about SQ, and yet you still listen to them.

So when someone's descriptions of a thing exceed what their actions speak, it leads me to consider their responses exaggerated or more of a gripe. Case in point, yelling on the forum that the pads are "(VERY CRAP)." They are obviously not crap. Just not a good choice for you. Many headphones in this price range come with pleather pads because quality leather pads are very expensive, as you must fully realize since you've been ordering ~$100 leather ear pads. In fact, how many headphones in the ~$200 to ~$250 range come with leather?
post #1020 of 1819
I agree with him, the K550 pads are crap IMO they also are prone to ripping easy, I have had about 3 pairs rip and some of my other friends have had a few rip. They are not padded enough and not right for the headphone IMO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread!