or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service! - Page 6

post #76 of 146
Their joint had super thick plastic parts, but the rest are very thin and that's where they break. They probably passed a few hours of testing, but dont last the years required for a proper lifespan.
post #77 of 146

What have you guys done with yours 940s?

 

I've been thinking about selling them since the repair, because I don't want to foot the bill when the warranty comes to pass. With that thought I bought a pair of Momentum's just to find out that they've quite a different tonality to the Shure's and are not much too my liking. There's much more emphasis/excitement in the bass compared to the neutrality I've come to appreciate from the SRH-940.

post #78 of 146

Fuuuuu you copycat! I was JUST thinking the same thing. After I got my K 701 and SRS-2170, I miss my SRH940 but I don't think I'll use it very much in retrospect.

 

K 701 = more relaxed SRH940, wider soundstage

 

SRS-2170 = SRH940 but with better bass, smoother lower-mids, not-as-forward mids

post #79 of 146

Hello All,

I have just bough a pair of Shure SRH940 and reading that the plastic seems to crack at the hindges, let me tell you about a simple modification that I think is well worth doing.

Use plastic cable-ties(black) make an adjustment strap over the headband - using 5 cable-ties in all this only takes 5 minutes to do and is dirt cheap. By running this strap from just over the hindge (between the hindge and the headband) across to the same position on the opposite side, this achieves 2 things -

1/ It reduces clamping pressure on the ears while not affecting the sound or appearance in any way: I am actually so sorry I did not do this with the ATH M50s I used for six months. It has immediately made the Shures ultra comfortable - even after long hours of listening and use on the street.

2/ This eases the pressure on the delicate hindges - the part that seems to be breaking on everyone.

 

So fingers crossed I hope they last for me. But immediately the comfort is so much better. And the cable-ties did not even cost €1.

I still don´t know why companies don´t use straps piggybacking the headphone so you can adjust the tension. With all the different heads out there..

Give it a go - no surgery and does not take 5 mins. 

BTW - what a gorgeous pair of cans in terms of sound - I needed a portable version of my HD 650 in terms of sound signature and that is what I got - a wide soundstage with warmth and clarity. This was very different from the ATH-M50s and I found myself immediately gravitating to the sound of the Shures - I can´t take them off me. What a lovely phone.

post #80 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcc44 View Post

Hello All,

I have just bough a pair of Shure SRH940 and reading that the plastic seems to crack at the hindges, let me tell you about a simple modification that I think is well worth doing.

Use plastic cable-ties(black) make an adjustment strap over the headband - using 5 cable-ties in all this only takes 5 minutes to do and is dirt cheap. By running this strap from just over the hindge (between the hindge and the headband) across to the same position on the opposite side, this achieves 2 things -

1/ It reduces clamping pressure on the ears while not affecting the sound or appearance in any way: I am actually so sorry I did not do this with the ATH M50s I used for six months. It has immediately made the Shures ultra comfortable - even after long hours of listening and use on the street.

2/ This eases the pressure on the delicate hindges - the part that seems to be breaking on everyone.

 

So fingers crossed I hope they last for me. But immediately the comfort is so much better. And the cable-ties did not even cost €1.

I still don´t know why companies don´t use straps piggybacking the headphone so you can adjust the tension. With all the different heads out there..

Give it a go - no surgery and does not take 5 mins. 

BTW - what a gorgeous pair of cans in terms of sound - I needed a portable version of my HD 650 in terms of sound signature and that is what I got - a wide soundstage with warmth and clarity. This was very different from the ATH-M50s and I found myself immediately gravitating to the sound of the Shures - I can´t take them off me. What a lovely phone.

Has anyone tried this fix? Like others, my headband cracked twice on the right side today...very disappointed. 

post #81 of 146

OK I have an update about this cable-tie fix of mine. I put the first cable ties on about a week ago and have been putting a bit of mileage on these headphones since then. They are ever-comfortable as I mentioned previously - before inserting the tie wraps I was getting a little fatigued at the lower ear lobes after about 2 hours of wearing.

Everything is exactly as I adjusted the tie wraps the first day.

 

Meantime, over the weekend, I noticed that the hinge below the tie-wraps (the single pivot between the headband and the ear cups - the delicate one that keeps cracking on everyone) while not yet broken seem a tiny bit loose - nothing nearly as sturdy as the corresponding part on the ATH-M50s. So I decided to try some more tie wraps - 3 for each joint. Now I know you're wondering about the gawdy appearance with all these cable-ties. I will address that in a moment.

So after this new round of plastic cable ties not only did it work but the headphones are now as solid feeling as the M50s ! Gone are all the creeks. Not only that, you can still pivot the ear cups a little to adjust on your head. Absolutely no impact on comfort whatever. So I would definitely prefer this rather than waiting for them to break.

Now regarding the appearance. First the tie wraps are in black and after they are clipped back with a scissors they are not nearly as noticeable as you might think. And yes I have been wearing them out on the streets.

But I think if these are holding up longterm I will source some kind of nice leather type of clip-on boot to cover up the cable ties. If in the future the cans do break I reckon the best approach is to  replace the headband with a 3rd party headband as has been shown elsewhere on the forum. Even if there is a little bit of surgery like resoldering the internal wires etc.

Later when I get a chance I might put up photos of this fix. Remember that these cable ties take 5 mins to put on. And 30 secs to remove with a scissors.

post #82 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcc44 View Post

OK I have an update about this cable-tie fix of mine. I put the first cable ties on about a week ago and have been putting a bit of mileage on these headphones since then. They are ever-comfortable as I mentioned previously - before inserting the tie wraps I was getting a little fatigued at the lower ear lobes after about 2 hours of wearing.

Everything is exactly as I adjusted the tie wraps the first day.

 

Meantime, over the weekend, I noticed that the hinge below the tie-wraps (the single pivot between the headband and the ear cups - the delicate one that keeps cracking on everyone) while not yet broken seem a tiny bit loose - nothing nearly as sturdy as the corresponding part on the ATH-M50s. So I decided to try some more tie wraps - 3 for each joint. Now I know you're wondering about the gawdy appearance with all these cable-ties. I will address that in a moment.

So after this new round of plastic cable ties not only did it work but the headphones are now as solid feeling as the M50s ! Gone are all the creeks. Not only that, you can still pivot the ear cups a little to adjust on your head. Absolutely no impact on comfort whatever. So I would definitely prefer this rather than waiting for them to break.

Now regarding the appearance. First the tie wraps are in black and after they are clipped back with a scissors they are not nearly as noticeable as you might think. And yes I have been wearing them out on the streets.

But I think if these are holding up longterm I will source some kind of nice leather type of clip-on boot to cover up the cable ties. If in the future the cans do break I reckon the best approach is to  replace the headband with a 3rd party headband as has been shown elsewhere on the forum. Even if there is a little bit of surgery like resoldering the internal wires etc.

Later when I get a chance I might put up photos of this fix. Remember that these cable ties take 5 mins to put on. And 30 secs to remove with a scissors.

Do you have pictures of your fix? Sorry I'm having a hard time visualizing what it looks like haha.

post #83 of 146
I read about the problems awhile ago and as a preventative measure just did wrappings of electrical tape around the weak spots. Actually looks better than you would think. The sound of the phones is superb and so worth keeping. I find them superior across the board to my Senn600/650.
post #84 of 146

Ok I have some photos of the cable ties

Hope they are visible on the forums. Have not done this before

 

 

/home/steve/Desktop/IMG_0784_p.JPG
/home/steve/Desktop/IMG_0785_p.JPG
/home/steve/Desktop/IMG_0786_p.JPG
/home/steve/Desktop/IMG_0787_p.JPG

Edited by smcc44 - 8/20/13 at 10:37am
post #85 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcc44 View Post

Ok I have some photos of the cable ties

Hope they are visible on the forums. Have not done this before

You have to use the image uploader thinggy at the top of your message editor to place your url there, you can't insert them directly here.

post #86 of 146

Yeah I can't see them =/

post #87 of 146

Ok - well I don't have any url I'm afraid.

post #88 of 146

Here's @smcc44 pictures.

 

 

 

 

post #89 of 146

Much appreciated! Thanks.

post #90 of 146

ERASED


Edited by Passburger - 10/2/13 at 2:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!