Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion - Page 30

post #436 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post

Yea ok, but IN that car its really a ton of fun.wink.gif
If you consider rattling your butt off "fun", then ok. Lol
post #437 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphone man07 View Post

do you even read reviews, just kidding, but still

1) well made? no

2)active noise cancelling? doesn't do ANYTHING

3) comfortable? debatable, with ears as big as mine though the answer would be no

didn't mean to criticize or offend, just the truth

 

1) Every single review I've read has praised their construction. I personally haven't seen a better made plastic headphone. The high end aluminum Beats Pro are among the best made headphone on the market.

2) Most companies that aren't Bose do not have very good active noise cancellation. But to say it doesn't do "anything" is hyperbole.

3) Could say this about any headphone. Again, every single review I've read has praised the comfort.

 

I think you have an obvious bias against these headphones if you won't even concede these few points.

post #438 of 547

I guess I'm in the very small minority when I say I like the Beats Mixrs.  I've had a ton of headphones over the years and they are fun.  Much better than the Solo/Solo HD I auditioned previously.  They are definitely built better, and they fold up really small so they are perfect for travelling.  I personally like "on ears" better than "over", so that's another reason I like the Mixrs.  I've had all of the other basshead cans in the <$300 market and for just cruising around town and gaming, I find the Mixrs hard to beat personally.  If I'm in the mood to listen a bit more critically, I've got some IEMs for that (VSonic GR07 Bass Edition of course, need a bit more low end, haha).  

 

Now I'll duck.

post #439 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

I guess I'm in the very small minority when I say I like the Beats Mixrs.  I've had a ton of headphones over the years and they are fun.  Much better than the Solo/Solo HD I auditioned previously.  They are definitely built better, and they fold up really small so they are perfect for travelling.  I personally like "on ears" better than "over", so that's another reason I like the Mixrs.  I've had all of the other basshead cans in the <$300 market and for just cruising around town and gaming, I find the Mixrs hard to beat personally.  If I'm in the mood to listen a bit more critically, I've got some IEMs for that (VSonic GR07 Bass Edition of course, need a bit more low end, haha).  

Now I'll duck.
but don't they squeeze your ears pretty hard?
post #440 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

but don't they squeeze your ears pretty hard?

 

They did at first, yes.  But a little stretching of the headband on my couch arm for a night solved that issue.  Definitely some major clamping force out of the box, but my M-Audio Q40s clamp a ton too.  I guess I just prefer that feel.

post #441 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

 

They did at first, yes.  But a little stretching of the headband on my couch arm for a night solved that issue.  Definitely some major clamping force out of the box, but my M-Audio Q40s clamp a ton too.  I guess I just prefer that feel.

well that explains it.
not used to something like that lol

post #442 of 547

1) Every single review I've read has praised their construction. I personally haven't seen a better made plastic headphone. The high end aluminum Beats Pro are among the best made headphone on the market.

2) Most companies that aren't Bose do not have very good active noise cancellation. But to say it doesn't do "anything" is hyperbole.

3) Could say this about any headphone. Again, every single review I've read has praised the comfort.

 

I think you have an obvious bias against these headphones if you won't even concede these few points.

 

Hey, this Lincoln Navigator has leather seats and shiny bumpers, I guess that must mean it goes fast, handles well, and has good gas mileage too. confused.gif

 

The qualities that (only) the high-end Beats achieve go little towards the products actually being good headphones. The XB-500 are comfortable too, but they don't put on any airs about being something more than what they are - guilty-pleasure bass monsters.

In fact, you see quite similar  "Beats backlash" against headphones very similar to the XB line, such as the MDR-X10, because they pretend to be more than they really are. There's nothing wrong with being an unapologetic bass monster, but when you try to market it to people as the end-all be-all listening and production headphone, feathers get ruffled because, frankly, it's a bunch of horse hockey.


Edited by Tus-Chan - 6/22/13 at 10:18pm
post #443 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

 

Hey, this Lincoln Navigator has leather seats and shiny bumpers, I guess that must mean it goes fast, handles well, and has good gas mileage too. confused.gif

 

The qualities that (only) the high-end Beats achieve go little towards the products actually being good headphones. The XB-500 are comfortable too, but they don't put on any airs about being something more than what they are - guilty-pleasure bass monsters.

In fact, you see quite similar  "Beats backlash" against headphones very similar to the XB line, such as the MDR-X10, because they pretend to be more than they really are. There's nothing wrong with being an unapologetic bass monster, but when you try to market it to people as the end-all be-all listening and production headphone, feathers get ruffled because, frankly, it's a bunch of horse hockey.

 

Where did I say that the quality construction of the beats means they are good sounding headphones?

I think you are making one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

 

The world isn't black and white. Some products are good in some areas and bad in others. I was simply pointing out some of the positive aspects that the beats have. **** me, right?

post #444 of 547

My statement was not so much distorting your already weak argument into a weaker argument, but rather just dismissing it as irrelevant outright. It doesn't matter if Beats are comfortable or "well-built" if they don't sound good. Those are secondary qualities nobody cares about if the primary quality (sound) isn't met.

post #445 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

My statement was not so much distorting your already weak argument into a weaker argument, but rather just dismissing it as irrelevant outright. It doesn't matter if Beats are comfortable or "well-built" if they don't sound good. Those are secondary qualities nobody cares about if the primary quality (sound) isn't met.

Well but you have to still compare those separate qualities to the individual person's priorities. It is in fact very possible that someone will go for a more comfortable headphone or a more solidy built headphone over something that is poorly built, looks ugly, uncomfortable but sounds nice. 
Not all people place sound quality as number 1. To the mass market, bass quantity, appearance, build and comfort are the primary factors of choosing a headphone. (not to forget control talk and mic) A lot of people think all headphones sound the same not to forget.


Edited by streetdragon - 6/24/13 at 11:08am
post #446 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

My statement was not so much distorting your already weak argument into a weaker argument, but rather just dismissing it as irrelevant outright. It doesn't matter if Beats are comfortable or "well-built" if they don't sound good. Those are secondary qualities nobody cares about if the primary quality (sound) isn't met.

 

Your statement was a distortion of a simple and uncontroversial point - that beats have good construction and are comfortable. I made no attempt to say that they sound good. Not once. If you think sound is the most important thing, fine. Others value construction and comfort. 

Try to keep your ego in check, because you are really making a fool of yourself. You do not speak for everyone, so you cannot use the word "nobody". Last I checked, Beats have been selling pretty well.


Edited by Eisenhower - 6/24/13 at 10:27am
post #447 of 547

I made no attempt to say that they sound good. Not once.

Yeah, they have inaccurate bass, but most closed headphones do. I've heard them and they have pretty decent SQ. Is it better than an open full-size pair of Sennheisers? No, but that isn't a fair comparison. View Post

 

Uh, whatever you say, sir.

 

Last I checked, Beats have been selling pretty well.

To the mass market, bass quantity, appearance, build and comfort are the primary factors of choosing a headphone.

 

  1. The "mass market" is extremely uneducated about anything resembling a complex topic (I've had people argue to me that evolution doesn't exist because their pets haven't "evolved").
  2. We aren't the "mass market", and I think I can speak for most Head-Fiers or anyone who is educated about audio that sound is the most important aspect of any sound equipment. Comfort, appearance, portability and durability, while important, come second and only make a headphone more suited to a certain application than another. The primary function of a headphone is sound. If a headphone does not sound good, it is not a good headphone because it fails its primary function. No exceptions. A car can have ten thousand dollars worth of interior and LEDs and still be a total lemon if the engine won't turn over and the radiator is shot.
  3. Popularity has zero bearing on quality whatsoever. The most important part of the success of Beats is not the quality of the product by any stretch of the imagination. I can't think of any other "high-end" lifestyle product where fakes and DIYs literally outperform the real thing. Try finding a fake Chinese iPod that works better than the real deal.

 

 

To sum it up: 

 


Edited by Tus-Chan - 6/24/13 at 7:44pm
post #448 of 547

^*clap clap clap. 

 

btw although i personally value comfort highly. I don't think the LCD 2 and HE-500 would sell so well amongst headfiers if comfort was so so important.

post #449 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

 

 

Uh, whatever you say, sir.

 

 

  1. The "mass market" is extremely uneducated about anything resembling a complex topic (I've had people argue to me that evolution doesn't exist because their pets haven't "evolved").
  2. We aren't the "mass market", and I think I can speak for most Head-Fiers or anyone who is educated about audio that sound is the most important aspect of any sound equipment. Comfort, appearance, portability and durability, while important, come second and only make a headphone more suited to a certain application than another. The primary function of a headphone is sound. If a headphone does not sound good, it is not a good headphone because it fails its primary function. No exceptions. A car can have ten thousand dollars worth of interior and LEDs and still be a total lemon if the engine won't turn over and the radiator is shot.
  3. Popularity has zero bearing on quality whatsoever. The most important part of the success of Beats is not the quality of the product by any stretch of the imagination. I can't think of any other "high-end" lifestyle product where fakes and DIYs literally outperform the real thing. Try finding a fake Chinese iPod that works better than the real deal.

 

 

To sum it up: 

 

Look i'm not telling you 50 million fans are never wrong do not stuff words into my mouth mind you. Wrong is a preference that goes against the evaluating person's opinions regardless we like them or not. And you disregarded eisenhower's statements too. "decent" is a relative term btw'

1.Not everyone's priorities are the same. People buy things to feel good. We on head-fi feel good with sound quality being highest quality. Others may feel good with other aspects, its preferences. But unfortunately their preferences are caused by improper information most of the time which causes their priorities to be 'wrong' by our standards.

2.We are here to help educate the public who are curious to break out the norm and discover what true headphones are and know that headphones can sound really good without having to look flashy. What they decide after that is still up to them. Hopefully after we talk to them they realize that the realize where their money should go and how to find good sound for a good price.
 

3.Build quality wise and build wise they may not be up there with beyerdynamic, but they are better than many cheapos. Which is why most consumers are satisfied. Their sense of money scale is skewed too. (again from lack of information)

Also your analogy is broken, because the car's engine is not broken, just above average. ('average' here is those cheapo headphones you buy for $10 in the bookstore)

To sum it up, they are above average headphones priced at premium prices that has looks that catch the eye without too much real substance which lure people to buy it impulsively and stay loyal to the brand. Clever business. We on the other side are here to educate the public about the truth behind the business strategy.


Edited by streetdragon - 6/24/13 at 9:22pm
post #450 of 547
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

We on the other side are here to educate the public about the truth behind the business strategy.

Except here on Head-Fi, we're all just preaching to the choir who already understand the business strategy behind Beats. The public at large doesn't visit Head-Fi.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion