Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion - Page 25

post #361 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Have you been reading this thread? The main objection to Beats is not that they sound terrible, but that there are other bass heavy headphones for around half the price that sound as good or better. Those "people who really like the way these cans sound" probably haven't listened to any of those alternatives. All of they have done is listened to what's on display at Best Buy (lol).

Of course a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese might taste the best if the only cheeseburger someone has ever tried comes from McDonald's. wink.gif

So I can guarantee you if you gave those "many people" blind listening tests (so they couldn't be biased by the Beasts hype) with Beats Studios, Ultrasones, V-Modas, DT770s, and Sony XB series, a lot of them would pick something else or at least say that the other models were as good.

Speaking of which, have you tried any of those other headphones yourself? It would seem to me that anyone who has would realize that this is about price/performance value.

No, I didn't read, I just comment blindly so that I can get a condescending lecture about price to value on a forum where people spend thousands of dollars on equipment for the most ridiculously small amount of diminishing returns in almost any other consumer item on planet earth.

post #362 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

I have seen far too many people put on a set of Beats, and really like what they hear. I think some people here can't wrap their heads around the fact that there are people who really like the way these cans sound. Tastes can be very different from one person to the next, and their are people who prefer Beats to a whole slew of what most people around here would consider far superior in sound. They didn't take 25% of the whole headphone market with something that sounds terrible. These may sound terrible to most of the folks who trawl this forum, but the hip hop/rap listening masses like a different flavor, and what sounds horrible to some around here is preferable to these people. The whole marketing package, the celebrity cool factor et al put these over, into the dominant player in the headphone market. 

 

 

Yes, they took 25% of the whole headphone market with something that sounds ******* awful. If it's really about sound quality then your argument fails. Beats aren't even good for the genres they are supposedly good for, aka, there are better headphones in that genre for less money.

 

And yes, we can wrap our heads around the fact that people can like the way a headphone sounds. But the problem is, the vast majority of beats users don't even try anything else. They don't know that a $150 Ultrasone may sound better than their $300 Studios. So yes, if they do their research and come to the conclusion that the Beats sound is best for them, then great. I've tried over twenty pairs of headphones in the past two years and I've come to the conclusion the K701 is probably the best sound I'll get below the $1000 flagships. And the K701 here gets bashed quite a bit. Same thing.

 

But if they haven't done their research, they're most likely getting swindled by the huge marketing, celebrity endorsements, and trying to make a fashion statement. Which is why they're so reproached here.


Edited by viralcow - 3/1/13 at 2:12pm
post #363 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

No, I didn't read, I just comment blindly so that I can get a condescending lecture about price to value on a forum where people spend thousands of dollars on equipment for the most ridiculously small amount of diminishing returns in almost any other consumer item on planet earth.

If that's your attitude about everyone on Head-Fi, I'm not sure why you are here. But that's doesn't negate the fact that you over-simplified the argument against Beats in this thread.
post #364 of 547

Not everyone here has thousands of dollars to spare, that's stereotyping.

post #365 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


If that's your attitude about everyone on Head-Fi, I'm not sure why you are here. But that's doesn't negate the fact that you over-simplified the argument against Beats in this thread.

I didn't oversimplify the argument, I am calling the argument petty nonsense, unbecoming of a grown adult. This has nothing to do with everyone on head-fi, or how I feel about them, so drop the childish gig. The fact remains, this is a silly place to try and rail on anything because of price to performance.


Edited by Billyjoegunrack - 3/1/13 at 2:48pm
post #366 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

I didn't oversimplify the argument, I am calling the argument petty nonsense, unbecoming of a grown adult. This has nothing to do with everyone on head-fi, or how I feel about them, so drop the childish gig. The fact remains, this is a silly place to try and rail on anything because of price to performance.

 

We've answered this how many times now? Price-to-performance is still very relevant to most of us.

 

I've noticed that every single time we've put up an explanation or counter-argument you just ignore it. Why are you even here, again?

post #367 of 547

Probably just to annoy us and is also confused about law of diminishing returns and price to performance ratio.

post #368 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

We've answered this how many times now? Price-to-performance is still very relevant to most of us.

 

I've noticed that every single time we've put up an explanation or counter-argument you just ignore it. Why are you even here, again?

 

You offered your opinion, and I offered mine, you don't like it tough. Why are you here, to hate on a headphone and the people that like them? Maybe to offer your psycho-analysis of these poor poor lost people who like something you dread?


Edited by Billyjoegunrack - 3/1/13 at 3:01pm
post #369 of 547

Conclusion: ignorance is bliss.
Both for us regarding the beats users and the beats users themselves.

Give it a break these beats users only equate bass quantity to sound quality, unless they are willing to open their eyes/ears they are never going to realize that beats is a bad deal.

post #370 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

I didn't oversimplify the argument, I am calling the argument petty nonsense, unbecoming of a grown adult. This has nothing to do with everyone on head-fi, or how I feel about them, so drop the childish gig. The fact remains, this is a silly place to try and rail on anything because of price to performance.

You must be independently wealthy, then. As viralcow just said, price/performance DOES matter. Most people on Head-Fi are looking for the best bang for their buck, whether it's $10, $100, or $1000. Most of the posts in the Head-Fi equipment forums are discussions about which is the best headphone, DAC, amp, cable, sound card, speakers, etc. for people's needs. So if you think all these people concerned about how to spend their money are being silly . . .

And yes, you did over simply the argument in this thread with your original statement. If Beats Studios were $150, sure. Many people would argue for other headphones being better, but Beats would not have the reputation that they do here. This thread wouldn't even exist.
post #371 of 547

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

 

You offered your opinion, and I offered mine, you don't like it tough. Why are you here, to hate on a headphone and the people that like them? Maybe to offer your psycho-analysis of these poor poor lost people who like something you dread?

 

Well why didn't you say so? Why drag this pointless discussion on for this long just to "offer your opinion?"

 

I thought the point of arguments/discussions is to go from point A to point B. To reach a conclusion/concensus. You attacked us for being petty and condescending. We argued otherwise. If we're just talking about opinions here without hoping to reach a consensus, well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Have a nice day.

post #372 of 547

Beats to me are kind of what " Air Jordans" used to be for Nike. They don't actually work any better than other Nikes but they make a fashion statement and it became a status symbol to afford them and wear them. This new crop of designer headphones are about style and image. The sound quality is secondary.

 

The problem now is, that some of these same people want it both ways. They want to have the latest expensive fad/status symbol, but now they also want respect for the sound quality and they aren't getting it. Much the opposite in fact.... It must suck to spend that much money and then you get out on the Internet to talk about your new toy and your find out virtually nobody that knows anything about Headphones has any respect for them.

 

I say, if YOU like them and bought them, then you're probably going to have to be happy with that. Most folks in the know, simply aren't going to co-sign the BS. Surely there must be a "Beats" forum somewhere? Maybe start your own thread here? What you guys need to do is find some folks who think like YOU and stop trying to covert people who don't. Seems like you'd find more satisfaction that way and would probably feel better about your purchase. /shrug. 

post #373 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Beats to me are kind of what " Air Jordans" used to be for Nike. They don't actually work any better than other Nikes but they make a fashion statement and it became a status symbol to afford them and wear them. This new crop of designer headphones are about style and image. The sound quality is secondary.

 

The problem now is, that some of these same people want it both ways. They want to have the latest expensive fad/status symbol, but now they also want respect for the sound quality and they aren't getting it. Much the opposite in fact.... It must suck to spend that much money and then you get out on the Internet to talk about your new toy and your find out virtually nobody that knows anything about Headphones has any respect for them.

 

I say, if YOU like them and bought them, then you're probably going to have to be happy with that. Most folks in the know, simply aren't going to co-sign the BS. Surely there must be a "Beats" forum somewhere? Maybe start your own thread here? What you guys need to do is find some folks who think like YOU and stop trying to covert people who don't. Seems like you'd find more satisfaction that way and would probably feel better about your purchase. /shrug. 

I doubt 1/100 of the people who bought and enjoy Beats could a darn about the respect people around here have for them because they chose those headphones. Only someone obsessed with headphones goes around looking for respect because they bought some silly little toy, as all headphones are at the end of the day. For the record, Beats are not my cup of tea, but I will be dammed if I am going to psycho-analyze, and trash people because they like a different headphone than me. I simply don't buy them. I have nothing but respect for what they did though, and sales of headphones have doubled in the US as a direct result of what they did, putting this little hobby on the map. 


Edited by Billyjoegunrack - 3/1/13 at 4:08pm
post #374 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoegunrack View Post

I doubt 1/100 of the people who bought and enjoy Beats could a darn about the respect people around here have for them because they chose those headphones. Only someone obsessed with headphones goes around looking for respect because they bought some silly little toy, as all headphones are at the end of the day. For the record, Beats are not my cup of tea, but I will be dammed if I am going to psycho-analyze, and trash people because they like a different headphone than me. I simply don't buy them. 

Well this is stereotyping, not all of us trash beats users, in fact most of us don't. We only offer suggestions. Is that bad? 
We don't go around snobbing into the beats user's face, some come here asking for advice and it ends up in "thanks for the advice, but i still think beats are better"
but thankfully most of them realize that the beats are a major rip off.

Also on another note. There is a difference between a $50 McDonals burger and $50 fine dining. One is overpriced rip off and one is premium luxury.


Edited by streetdragon - 3/1/13 at 4:10pm
post #375 of 547

Just checking in on this thread. Has billyjoe won his argument yet?

 

...Guess not, I'll check back next week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion