Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 47

post #691 of 4839
Well put Mike.

For me they convey what I love about classical music, the emotion and depth, also feeling. Though I have to say cello sounds the most accurate through the PF's than any other headphone i have listened to cello with. The way they convey strings through a wooden sound box sounds like I hear in life.
post #692 of 4839
Thread Starter 

So to be more precise.

JH13/16 is more of a surgeon, precision and specific are what they looking at.
While PF series is more of an artist.

Cool, thanks a lot for all of your sharing =D 

post #693 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Well, my point is that the sound of the JH13 demos pretty much reflect their advertising. I won't deny that they "attempt some level of neutrality" (thus the "for audiophiles" part ;-), but I found them to sound more in-your-face than any of the universals (W4, FI-BA-SS, FX700 and EX600) I A/Bed them to. Plus, all of said universals were better in differentiating between a lead singer's voice in the foreground and a delicate guitar accompaniment in the background. They JH13s may be great for rock'n roll, but not all that suited if you're looking for subtlety in your music. To my ears. Ymmv.

 

Yes, I remember too. Well, not much has changed for me, and I still EQ the 1601 to a flatter reponse when I listen to them. I dearly wished that FAD would make a better balanced implementation of their DDs, because the drivers themselves are strikingly good imo. But to the contrary, they went on to produce the Piano Fortes, which are even more radically colored than the 1601, and which I miserably fail to EQ to a "halfway ordinary" sound signature, lol. That's why I wrote "I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who's looking for a sonically accurate reproduction of music".

 

The FI-BA-SS are a different beast and much more transparent than the 160x. Sadly my loan tour has been halted because of a cable issue, but maybe I can get them to you at some point, I'd love to hear your opinion. Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't meant to discredit the JHs and hype the FADs, more like saying these two have their respective target audiences which don't overlap that much in my book.

 

My favorite music at this point of my life is classical and that's what I mostly listened to on the JH-13. I didn't get an impression that they couldn't be subtle when called for, but really 20 or so minutes is not enough to make a truly informed decision. Perhaps if I lived with it for a while I would feel more like you do about their sound. That's one of the tough things about CIEM, there's sorta no turning back. At least with universals you can usually move them on if they don't do it for you.

 

The FAD1601 is certainly an enigma. It is obviously not neutral, but if you turn off the (sonically) judgmental side of your mind they are very musically expressive and involving. But then the judgmental side comes back... And the riddle inside of the enigma for me is that if you try to EQ them, the more you "fix" things the more the magic seems to go away. I finally decided that they are what they are and you have to approach (and enjoy) them on their terms. That's what I kind of love about FAD, they certainly are willing to tred the road less followed and aren't worried that their sound isn't "commercial" or that someone will measure them and turn up their nose.

 

I got the idea from your writings that the FI-BA-SS were more transparent FAD's and have been interested, but haven't pulled the trigger. I have the K3003 which I think are pretty transparent and fairly neutral, but have been considering supplimenting them with either the FI-BA-SS or the Fit Ear 334 or ???. I have never owned a custom and am also curious there, but it would only make sense to get a "flagship" CIEM considering what I own already. The new Unique Melody PP-6 looks intriguing. But CIEM's are tough for the reasons I expressed in paragraph one... so much of interest but only so much bux to spend.

 

And yes, I agree totally with the idea that the JH and the FAD's are very different and for most people, one or the other is indicated. Maybe I am unusual in this, but I like having differing sonic presentations available. To me, it's like having friends with different personalities, they show you differing views of the world (and yourself). Similarly, differing sonics can give one different insights into the music. Which is cool, too.

 

Kevin 

post #694 of 4839
That's how I would describe it SB, though the surgeon called JH would not be one I would want to operate on me as he has little imagination and that is needed in a skilled surgeon as well!

On another note I saw McCartney live last night.. If you get a chance to see him do, best three hours of music I have heard in years. He sounded like he did when in the Beatles!

Listening to wings this morning and a similar feeling is portrayed of the artist through the
PF's as it was live last night!

Listening live reminded me that the PF's are actually more representative of the way things sound when one experiences a performer live, forget about technical prowess and just engage in the music!

,
post #695 of 4839

Kevin,

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post
 

[snip]

 

The FAD1601 is certainly an enigma. It is obviously not neutral, but if you turn off the (sonically) judgmental side of your mind they are very musically expressive and involving. But then the judgmental side comes back... And the riddle inside of the enigma for me is that if you try to EQ them, the more you "fix" things the more the magic seems to go away. I finally decided that they are what they are and you have to approach (and enjoy) them on their terms. That's what I kind of love about FAD, they certainly are willing to tred the road less followed and aren't worried that their sound isn't "commercial" or that someone will measure them and turn up their nose.

 

[snip]

 

Kevin 

 

Exactly!   As I wrote, they are courageously deviant.

 

Mike

post #696 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

[snip]
..., forget about technical prowess and just engage in the music!

 

Precisely - but I'm convinced it's easier for some people to do than for others, due to differences in left brain vs. right brain dominance.)

 

Mike

post #697 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3oxkjo View Post

My favorite music at this point of my life is classical and that's what I mostly listened to on the JH-13. I didn't get an impression that they couldn't be subtle when called for, but really 20 or so minutes is not enough to make a truly informed decision. Perhaps if I lived with it for a while I would feel more like you do about their sound. That's one of the tough things about CIEM, there's sorta no turning back. At least with universals you can usually move them on if they don't do it for you.

The FAD1601 is certainly an enigma. It is obviously not neutral, but if you turn off the (sonically) judgmental side of your mind they are very musically expressive and involving. But then the judgmental side comes back... And the riddle inside of the enigma for me is that if you try to EQ them, the more you "fix" things the more the magic seems to go away. I finally decided that they are what they are and you have to approach (and enjoy) them on their terms. That's what I kind of love about FAD, they certainly are willing to tred the road less followed and aren't worried that their sound isn't "commercial" or that someone will measure them and turn up their nose.

I got the idea from your writings that the FI-BA-SS were more transparent FAD's and have been interested, but haven't pulled the trigger. I have the K3003 which I think are pretty transparent and fairly neutral, but have been considering supplimenting them with either the FI-BA-SS or the Fit Ear 334 or ???. I have never owned a custom and am also curious there, but it would only make sense to get a "flagship" CIEM considering what I own already. The new Unique Melody PP-6 looks intriguing. But CIEM's are tough for the reasons I expressed in paragraph one... so much of interest but only so much bux to spend.

And yes, I agree totally with the idea that the JH and the FAD's are very different and for most people, one or the other is indicated. Maybe I am unusual in this, but I like having differing sonic presentations available. To me, it's like having friends with different personalities, they show you differing views of the world (and yourself). Similarly, differing sonics can give one different insights into the music. Which is cool, too.

Kevin 

I think you'd really enjoy the FI-BA-SS. It's definitely the most sensitive iem I've ever tried, and it's capable of conveying the rise and fall of classical pieces unlike anything I've head. It's sill powerful and full enough to convey any cello or timpani with great accuracy.

When I first read about the SS, I imagined a hyper bright iem wih piercing treble and little bass. When I was given the opportunity to hear them, I was shocked to hear a full-bodied iem with relatively smooth treble, but still immensely detailed. If you want subtlety, the FI-BA-SS will give it to you. If you want power, the FI-BA-SS will give it to you.

JM2C
post #698 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Precisely - but I'm convinced it's easier for some people to do than for others, due to differences in left brain vs. right brain dominance.)

Mike

Mike, completely understand. It is really odd though as when I am in the studio everyone jokes I am anal when it comes to details in the mix! I guess I am fortunate to be able to switch off that hyper analytical side of me when listening for pleasure.. Then again, my teachers always said I was special.. ( though I tended to ignore the 'needs' but that came after special redface.gif
post #699 of 4839

biggrin.gif

post #700 of 4839

Dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but the Heaven VI is now available in both chrome copper and gold finish:

 

 

1000

 

Still think it looks better in chrome copper, but the golden finish will be a nice option since they'll probably be phasing out the golden (actually brass) Heaven S at some point.

post #701 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but the Heaven VI is now available in both chrome copper and gold finish:

 

 

1000

 

Still think it looks better in chrome copper, but the golden finish will be a nice option since they'll probably be phasing out the golden (actually brass) Heaven S at some point.

 

No, that be news on here. It is consistent with the (re?) release of the Piano Forte X-G.

 

Do you have the Heaven VI yet?

post #702 of 4839
I prefer the copper look as well. I wonder what the base material is. I have to coat my SB's with clear nail polish now as they have tiny scratches that cut through the plating and expose the brass.. Base metal allergies then do the rest! Interestingly, there is no sonic difference with the polish added!
post #703 of 4839

Another FAD build your own IEM session on December 8. I wish that I could go.

 

http://final-audio-design.com/archives/1775   

post #704 of 4839

I don't recall anyone mentioning this on this thread so I'd though I would:

 

On the Piano Forte 1602 series of headsets (VIII, IX, X), you can determine the L or R bud by looking (or feeling) at the notch on the tiny metal sleeve where the cable joins the body. The side with the notch is the L side. That's pretty useful as I can't see the L and R engraving in dim light.

 

Found this snippet of info on a Japanese website where they also mentioned that since most people's ear shapes are different, you have to adjust the position of each bud in each ear to maximise the sound quality. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't seem to get much variation of sound quality by twisting the bud around. On my  1602ss, the image is slightly biased to the LHS.

post #705 of 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkin View Post

I don't recall anyone mentioning this on this thread so I'd though I would:

 

On the Piano Forte 1602 series of headsets (VIII, IX, X), you can determine the L or R bud by looking (or feeling) at the notch on the tiny metal sleeve where the cable joins the body. The side with the notch is the L side. That's pretty useful as I can't see the L and R engraving in dim light.

 

Found this snippet of info on a Japanese website where they also mentioned that since most people's ear shapes are different, you have to adjust the position of each bud in each ear to maximise the sound quality. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't seem to get much variation of sound quality by twisting the bud around. On my  1602ss, the image is slightly biased to the LHS.

 

I always thought you determined between L and R using the orientation of the vent holes. With the cords pointed down, the vent holes should point toward the front rather than the back.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread