Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 269

post #4021 of 4531
RIP. Very sad news indeed.
post #4022 of 4531

I know nothing about him, but I love the headphones that he created and that I own.

RIP.

post #4023 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

I've always had a soft spot for crazy nonconformist minds. They're like rare gemstones on a pebble beach. And every time one of them gets washed away, our world becomes less colorful.

May his soul rest in peace, but may his sparkle and spirit live on to help shape Final Audio's future.

I couldn't have expressed this feeling as well if I tried, may he rest in piece.
post #4024 of 4531
RIP
post #4025 of 4531

To the genius who we knew through his contributions to the Hi-Fi community, may you rest in peace. That being said, just yesterday morning did I have my first taste of his creations and I must say

 

 

I am awed.

post #4026 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

To the genius who we knew through his contributions to the Hi-Fi community, may you rest in peace. That being said, just yesterday morning did I have my first taste of his creations and I must say

 

 

I am awed.

 

That is a fine introduction - Heaven VI is still my favourite all-round portable isolating IEM.

post #4027 of 4531

I am listening to baroque music on the 1601SC now in tribute to Kanemori Takai. Just lovely. What a talent he was.

 


Edited by cooperpwc - 6/8/14 at 2:28am
post #4028 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

I've always had a soft spot for crazy nonconformist minds. They're like rare gemstones on a pebble beach. And every time one of them gets washed away, our world becomes less colorful.

 

May his soul rest in peace, but may his sparkle and spirit live on to help shape Final Audio's future.

 

That is really sad news. He passed away on the day I received my Lab1. Which I came here to say is Final Audio Design's ultimate essence of the brand itself, and a conclusive finale of everything they have learned thus far. 

 

We love each series for what they are and what they do. Each series is different, as it should be, with a cohesive concept around each series, and each edition within a series upholding the brand, and the concept alike. 

 

There are the chiefs of each series, and of course they have their caveats. PFX, the "Drama queen" as MF likes to put it, is the height of that series, showcasing FAD's brilliance, and releasing something so very untraditional, yet expensive, some label FAD as a gimmick. But the Drama queen is temperamental. She likes what she likes, and won't do with the rest. Her euphoria is unmatched, but her preference, selective. The embodiment of, "doing one thing, and doing it well."

 

The more expensive, or exotic the earphone in a series is, the more polarizing it becomes. With the potential to induce musical rapture in one, and head-shaking disbelief in another. 

 

The Heaven series currently culminates in the Heaven VI. And it has the most FAD magic in the series. It's more famous, big older brother, the FI-BA-SS is the king of the BAs, having been working his magic for many years now. 

 

In recent years, there has not been a flagship level release of an IEM, as FAD focused on filling out their Heaven series, and even a foray into affordable full-sized cans. Some of it went better than others. 

 

Enter Lab1. Out of nowhere, seemingly. An eschewing of the single BA archetype they sold their business around, breaking their own rules. But of course, it was done with a progressive, yet masterful implementation, preserving the soul of the Final paradigm. 

 

You can hear every FAD earphone in the Lab1. It sounds like all of them scrunched into one giant ball of audigasm, refined, and trained up by a master. Matured, and aged to perfection. 

 

You hear the Piano Forte lush, euphoric mids, rendering vocals with a characteristic simply unheard of in anything else I've ever listened to. The highs have that Heaven and FI-BA-SS sparkle and clarity, but with a much higher level of refinement and maturation. This keep everything in perfect control, but still allowing all that texture and detail to pull you in to the music, not the sound. Part of this maturation is its ability to have the texture, detail, and sparkle of the FI-BA-SS without having to be bright to do it. It defies and challenges some established audiophile thinking, hence its slow-to-come epiphany of audio excellence. 

 

The bass is some of the best bass I have ever heard. Period. My mind is blown that this is coming out of a BA. It sounds more dynamic than a dynamic driver. It has punch, impact, beautiful texture, and is in absolute control. Like FI-BA-SS bass, but the 2014 Mercedes S-Class version, not the 2010 C-Class.

 

The sound is grown up, it is elegant, it is mature. It will not wow you out of the box, but like every good FAD device, its magic reveals itself to you on its own time. Then the new discovery of all the subtle details, and that level of musical enlightenment obtained. 

 

It's no wonder several here have heard the very best and most expensive headphones ever made, but the Lab1 is the favorite. It is not for everyone. It's polarizing, as it should be, but less so than its predecessors. The quality is undeniable, even if the magic is lost. 

 

For me, Lab1 is the final culmination and masterpiece of Final Audio Design to date. 

 

Well done, Takai-san, well done. And thank you. 

post #4029 of 4531

Nicely said. I must hear the LAB1.


Edited by cooperpwc - 6/8/14 at 2:29am
post #4030 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post
 

Nicely said. I must hear the LAB1.

 

Indeed. It's always up to SoundFreaq to move our hearts

post #4031 of 4531

And as usual, for the Lab 1, like all other FAD masterpieces, requires clean source of music. I switched the DAP to a less colored one, and evidently the sound is much much better.

 

Nevertheless, the Heaven series are more all-rounder than the pricier models.

post #4032 of 4531
Just read about what went into the Lab I. I don't know why I'm surprised but it looks like they haven't really deviated from the 1 BA idea as it would first appear. I don't remember anyone mentioning this on the thread, but if I'm reading it correctly, it appears that the two BAs are running in parallel, in essence retaining the one range BA design.

If you read this Tom, and this appears to be the case, would you know the likely benefits to running this configuration?
post #4033 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

That is really sad news. He passed away on the day I received my Lab1. Which I came here to say is Final Audio Design's ultimate essence of the brand itself, and a conclusive finale of everything they have learned thus far. 

We love each series for what they are and what they do. Each series is different, as it should be, with a cohesive concept around each series, and each edition within a series upholding the brand, and the concept alike. 

There are the chiefs of each series, and of course they have their caveats. PFX, the "Drama queen" as MF likes to put it, is the height of that series, showcasing FAD's brilliance, and releasing something so very untraditional, yet expensive, some label FAD as a gimmick. But the Drama queen is temperamental. She likes what she likes, and won't do with the rest. Her euphoria is unmatched, but her preference, selective. The embodiment of, "doing one thing, and doing it well."

The more expensive, or exotic the earphone in a series is, the more polarizing it becomes. With the potential to induce musical rapture in one, and head-shaking disbelief in another. 

The Heaven series currently culminates in the Heaven VI. And it has the most FAD magic in the series. It's more famous, big older brother, the FI-BA-SS is the king of the BAs, having been working his magic for many years now. 

In recent years, there has not been a flagship level release of an IEM, as FAD focused on filling out their Heaven series, and even a foray into affordable full-sized cans. Some of it went better than others. 

Enter Lab1. Out of nowhere, seemingly. An eschewing of the single BA archetype they sold their business around, breaking their own rules. But of course, it was done with a progressive, yet masterful implementation, preserving the soul of the Final paradigm. 

You can hear every FAD earphone in the Lab1. It sounds like all of them scrunched into one giant ball of audigasm, refined, and trained up by a master. Matured, and aged to perfection. 

You hear the Piano Forte lush, euphoric mids, rendering vocals with a characteristic simply unheard of in anything else I've ever listened to. The highs have that Heaven and FI-BA-SS sparkle and clarity, but with a much higher level of refinement and maturation. This keep everything in perfect control, but still allowing all that texture and detail to pull you in to the music, not the sound. Part of this maturation is its ability to have the texture, detail, and sparkle of the FI-BA-SS without having to be bright to do it. It defies and challenges some established audiophile thinking, hence its slow-to-come epiphany of audio excellence. 

The bass is some of the best bass I have ever heard. Period. My mind is blown that this is coming out of a BA. It sounds more dynamic than a dynamic driver. It has punch, impact, beautiful texture, and is in absolute control. Like FI-BA-SS bass, but the 2014 Mercedes S-Class version, not the 2010 C-Class.

The sound is grown up, it is elegant, it is mature. It will not wow you out of the box, but like every good FAD device, its magic reveals itself to you on its own time. Then the new discovery of all the subtle details, and that level of musical enlightenment obtained. 

It's no wonder several here have heard the very best and most expensive headphones ever made, but the Lab1 is the favorite. It is not for everyone. It's polarizing, as it should be, but less so than its predecessors. The quality is undeniable, even if the magic is lost. 

For me, Lab1 is the final culmination and masterpiece of Final Audio Design to date. 

Well done, Takai-san, well done. And thank you. 

Oh gee. Thanks for hyping up a phone that is no longer in production rolleyes.gif
post #4034 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post


Oh gee. Thanks for hyping up a phone that is no longer in production rolleyes.gif

 

Ha! Indeed. 

 

However, I was late to the ballgame on this one. It took quite a while of diligent work to procure one to own. They were long sold by the time they caught my fancy. So they are just as available to you as they were for me. But rumor has it that due to the success, a full production run is in the plans. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

... but if I'm reading it correctly, it appears that the two BAs are running in parallel, in essence retaining the one range BA design.

If you read this Tom, and this appears to be the case, would you know the likely benefits to running this configuration?

 

hey v!

 

From what I understand, it is a different implementation indeed. It is a "full-range dual balanced" configuration, but it's not perfectly parallel in respect to FR. They are tuned perfectly so that it remains completely cohesive. 

 

post #4035 of 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post
 

hey v!

 

From what I understand, it is a different implementation indeed. It is a "full-range dual balanced" configuration, but it's not perfectly parallel in respect to FR. They are tuned perfectly so that it remains completely cohesive. 

 

 

Congrats, I walked into the same trap earlier in the thread. ;)  Here's Tom's clarification:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

FAD has been using that diagram for years to show the potential negative overlap effects of a crossover.

 

The driver being used is a dual full-range driver. Basically it's two of the drivers like the ones used in the Klipsch X10, twinned.

 

This is a Sonion-made driver, part of the 2800 series. The CanalWorks CW-L51a also uses a pair for its tweeters.

 

Actually, all of the BA drivers used by FAD to date, except for the Heaven II, which is their own Molex design, are from Sonion, just customized for FAD.

 

This is confirmed information from FAD themselves, when I spoke to them in person.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread