or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 260

post #3886 of 6793

A clip takes away 90% of microphonics.

Even without the clip, there is almost no noise unless the head is moving too much.

No noise during walking, some noise during running.

post #3887 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post

A clip takes away 90% of microphonics.
Even without the clip, there is almost no noise unless the head is moving too much.
No noise during walking, some noise during running.
A contrast to vwinter's experience. Sounds as if this isn't a reason not to buy though:)
post #3888 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

A contrast to vwinter's experience. Sounds as if this isn't a reason not to buy though:)

biggrin.gif
Edited by vwinter - 3/15/14 at 2:44pm
post #3889 of 6793

:dt880smile:

vwinter, now I see your sig on my desktop it is obvious that you have had quite a few IEM's. Was the V1 a huge step up from most of them?

I see that you hope to go for the UERM soon. I take it that you expect that to be an upgrade. 


Edited by krismusic - 3/15/14 at 3:17pm
post #3890 of 6793

Pandora Hope IV...

 

 

I actually like the look of the matte plastic style more than the metal on the VI...

post #3891 of 6793

I've had the LAB I for two days now. This is an earphone I'm going to want to take my time with, for sure.

 

This isn't an earphone that tries to wow you. It doesn't emphasize details or make them pop. It doesn't give you sparkly highs or an airy presentation or a big powerful bass. How it presents music will largely depend on the track and how it was recorded, and it allows music to come through without fuss or any audiophile fanfare. Compared to FAD's other balanced armature models, the LAB I is more laid back for sure. 

 

Despite a fondness for restraint, the LAB I seems capable of rendering the emotional depths of music with astounding ease. With impassioned human voices or strings in large acoustic spaces, the LAB I can take my breath away and leave me weak kneed. I feel an immediate connection to whatever I'm listening.

 

In some ways the LAB I reminds me more of FAD's Piano Forte VIII, IX, and X than it does the Heavens or FI-BA-SS. Perhaps it's the impossible offspring of a Heaven and Piano Forte?

 

I'd image the LAB I will be a somewhat polarizing earphone. Not as much as the aforementioned Piano Fortes mind you, but more so than their other balanced armatures.

post #3892 of 6793

That'd be very very intriguing, MuppetFace. Since nowadays I enjoyed darker sound signature and let the details lie behind the main presentation (or vocals).

 

Gonna hear it soon over my place. Does it go with the usual vocals route or is this LAB I more omnivorous?

post #3893 of 6793

Been searching around for a while and have not been able to find many good impressions of the FAD Heaven line up apart from the muppet guy one. I'm currently using some Fischer DBAII Mk2s. They have very good detail and separation but are very harsh/splashy in the treble. For years I've searching for a shallower fitting ER-4S, neutral, clear, detailed, balanced. Before the Fischers I was using RE-400s. I liked them, they were warm without being muddy, but were just a bit limited in terms of fine detail and extension. I had hoped at the time that the RE-600 was going to be the answer but it didn't seem so. Would something from the Heaven line be an option? Could more people post their thoughts on the IV v V?

post #3894 of 6793

That lady is no guy!

 

The Heaven VI is probably my favorite IEM. I would characterize it as euphonic of tone with great clarity. There is not a harsh note to be heard. It ramps up exceptionally well with clean power, the more the better. It loves the Pico Power. I cannot wait to try it with the GS-X Mk2.

post #3895 of 6793
I'm hoping to hear a pair of V1's next weekend at a Hi Fi show.
There seems to be a lot of love for these on here and on the internet in general.
It would be interesting to hear from owners as to what you feel they don't do.
Another aspect that I would be very interested to hear about is the fact that other IEM manufacturers seem to be engaged in a race to cram as many drivers into an enclosure as possible.
I like the elegance of FAD's approach but can one driver really do it all?
post #3896 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post
 

Been searching around for a while and have not been able to find many good impressions of the FAD Heaven line up apart from the muppet guy one. I'm currently using some Fischer DBAII Mk2s. They have very good detail and separation but are very harsh/splashy in the treble. For years I've searching for a shallower fitting ER-4S, neutral, clear, detailed, balanced. Before the Fischers I was using RE-400s. I liked them, they were warm without being muddy, but were just a bit limited in terms of fine detail and extension. I had hoped at the time that the RE-600 was going to be the answer but it didn't seem so. Would something from the Heaven line be an option? Could more people post their thoughts on the IV v V?

 

Heaven IV and IV have euphonic mids and non-sibilant treble (haven't heard V).

Wouldn't call them neutral though, due to euphonic mids.

post #3897 of 6793
What do you mean by euphoric. Would you say the V1 is transparent?
post #3898 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

What do you mean by euphoric. Would you say the V1 is transparent?


http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Euphonic - An appealing form of distortion that generally enhances perceived fidelity, often ascribed to the harmonic elaborations of some valve amps.

 

I wouldn't describe VI as transparent, it's colors the mids too much.

post #3899 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post



I wouldn't describe VI as transparent, it's colors the mids too much.
I don't suppose you have heard the IE8's by any chance?
post #3900 of 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


I don't suppose you have heard the IE8's by any chance?

I have IE80, and it's more transparent then Heaven VI

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread