or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 258

post #3856 of 6697

I'm about to take the plunge and order my first pair of IEMs.

 

Doing some reading a lot of IEMs can be quite bassy (at the price range I'm looking at) whereas I'd prefer something more balanced with lovey mids and I think the FAD 'phones seem to be what I'm after.

 

I initially read some reviews of the II's but think the IV's look worth the extra so was planning on ordering some from buysmartjapan. However, I noticed I can get the V's for not a whole lot more (certainly less than I can buy IV's for new in the UK) so they are an option too. VI's would be nice but my bank balance disagrees....

 

Between the IV & the V's which do those of you who've owned/ auditioned both find to be the better all rounder for a wide variety of genres and which is the less bright sounding, as I find the treble on some 'phones quite shrill or overbearing to the point where I can't listen to them. Fairly polite trebles are definitely my preference.

 

Also I see that the V's are available in regular or Aging flavours. Is there any audible difference between the two or is it purely a cosmetic thing?

 

Thanks in advance and I'm enjoying working my way through this thread (some lovely eye candy too) :)


Edited by jellofund - 3/10/14 at 3:30am
post #3857 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post
 

I'm about to take the plunge and order my first pair of IEMs.

 

Doing some reading a lot of IEMs can be quite bassy (at the price range I'm looking at) whereas I'd prefer something more balanced with lovey mids and I think the FAD 'phones seem to be what I'm after.

 

I initially read some reviews of the II's but think the IV's look worth the extra so was planning on ordering some from buysmartjapan. However, I noticed I can get the V's for not a whole lot more (certainly less than I can buy IV's for new in the UK) so they are an option too. VI's would be nice but my bank balance disagrees....

 

Between the IV & the V's which do those of you who've owned/ auditioned both find to be the better all rounder for a wide variety of genres and which is the less bright sounding, as I find the treble on some 'phones quite shrill or overbearing to the point where I can't listen to them. Fairly polite trebles are definitely my preference.

 

Also I see that the V's are available in regular or Aging flavours. Is there any audible difference between the two or is it purely a cosmetic thing?

 

Thanks in advance and I'm enjoying working my way through this thread (some lovely eye candy too) :)

 

Personally less bright is V to me. IV is brighter.

Both phones may exhibit sibilance on some tracks.

Aging is warmer than V to my ears. V is warmer than IV to my ears.

IV is warmer to my eyes. Haha. Love the stainless steel. Oh ya, while II is also stainless steel, it's less refined.

post #3858 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post
 

 

Personally less bright is V to me. IV is brighter.

Both phones may exhibit sibilance on some tracks.

Aging is warmer than V to my ears. V is warmer than IV to my ears.

IV is warmer to my eyes. Haha. Love the stainless steel. Oh ya, while II is also stainless steel, it's less refined.

 

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply and impressions :)

 

It's really good to get some first hand impressions as whilst I've been able to find plenty of reviews of the II's, IV's and VI's there seems to be next to nothing about the V's or V Aging. I'm sure as I work my way through this thread I'll come across some more though and get a better handle on things.

 

Cheers again!


Edited by jellofund - 3/10/14 at 4:04am
post #3859 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post
 

 

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply and impressions :)

 

That's very helpful to get some first hand impressions as whilst I've been able to find plenty of reviews of the II's, IV's and VI's there seems to be next to nothing about the V's or V Aging. I'm sure as I work my way through this thread I'll come across some more though and get a better handle on things.

 

Cheers again!

 

Read MuppetFace's review on H-V? http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

post #3860 of 6697

I hadn't but will do - thanks for the link!


Edited by jellofund - 3/10/14 at 4:18am
post #3861 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissparta View Post
 

What genre or songs should be played or best fitted for Heaven VI. I enjoy this gear so much but the bass is not that quite strong compared to Adagio III.

 

I listen to absolutely everything on the Heaven VI. (Well, everything for me means all types of rock, pop, folk, hip hop, blues, jazz, world etc., not so much classical). I could criticize it for not being the edgiest hard rock headphone but I still enjoy Who, Husker Du and other hard rock with it. Its sweet spot will always be vocals, especially female vocals, as well as acoustic guitar, piano and other acoustic instruments.

 

For more bass, add power! A powerful amp like the Pico Power will bring out the bass or even just a powerful DAP like the X5. The low end ramps right up with clean low-ohm wattage.

post #3862 of 6697

The Lab 1 sounded very sweet to my ears
post #3863 of 6697

That's the best photo I've seen of those.

post #3864 of 6697

Agreed. This view doesn't look that ugly as in the preview photo. Maybe it's because of the glossy finish? Or rather, it didn't show the checkered area... :p

post #3865 of 6697

Yeah, probably because you can't see much of the checkered part haha. Any more detailed impressions though? Maybe a comparison to the Heaven V/VI?

post #3866 of 6697

Okay, soo... I'm new to this kind of thing. I love music a lot and listen while driving and travelling. But what is this amplifier you are talking about? The Pico Power thing? Is that portable?

post #3867 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissparta View Post
 

Okay, soo... I'm new to this kind of thing. I love music a lot and listen while driving and travelling. But what is this amplifier you are talking about? The Pico Power thing? Is that portable?

 

It is not the smallest amp (but not the largest either). It is definitely portable.

 

Here is the impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/655401/headamp-pico-power-impressions-thread

 

And here is is Currawong's review including video: http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-pico-power-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/9326 

 

I am not going to say much more in this thread - I don't want to go too far OT - but the combination of the Pico Power and Heaven VI from a good source is lovely.

post #3868 of 6697
Hi, am I right that there's 2 version of the the Heaven Vl. The copper and gold. Is there a difference in sq between them. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if there is, I would appreciate some feedbacks. Thanks.
post #3869 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo888 View Post

Hi, am I right that there's 2 version of the the Heaven Vl. The copper and gold. Is there a difference in sq between them. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if there is, I would appreciate some feedbacks. Thanks.

 

By all accounts, the sound is the same. It is just a cosmetic difference.

post #3870 of 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

By all accounts, the sound is the same. It is just a cosmetic difference.

Thanks cooperpwc for your thoughts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread