Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 237

post #3541 of 4300

Dunno if you've seen this, but I did a comparison between the newer Heaven models:

 

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

 

There are two things to consider (aside from price) in my humble opinion. First, the higher models---the V and VI---are somewhat more colored than the Heaven IV. The IV is the most linear of the new Heaven series to my ears. Basically, the V and VI will sound a bit warmer and [relatively] more U shaped. The second thing to consider though is that in my opinion the Heaven V gets a definite improvement in spatial rendering over the IV. Basically it sounds more 3D to my ears.

 

That being said, to me, the difference between the V and VI is much less than the difference between the IV and V. So it's sort of like:

 

IV ----------> V --> VI

 

BUT, again, the IV isn't as colored and some folks like that. Also you might not hear that big of an improvement. This kind of thing always varies from person to person, and some of the folks here (BenF for instance) like the Heaven IV a lot more than I do, so you might not find the Heaven V that big of a jump.

 

Hope that helps!


Edited by MuppetFace - 1/1/14 at 5:35am
post #3542 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Dunno if you've seen this, but I did a comparison between the newer Heaven models:

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

There are two things to consider (aside from price) in my humble opinion. First, the higher models---the V and VI---are somewhat more colored than the Heaven IV. The IV is the most linear of the new Heaven series to my ears. Basically, the V and VI will sound a bit warmer and [relatively] more U shaped. The second thing to consider though is that in my opinion the Heaven V gets a definite improvement in spatial rendering over the IV. Basically it sounds more 3D to my ears.

That being said, to me, the difference between the V and VI is much less than the difference between the IV and V. So it's sort of like:

IV
> V --> VI

BUT, again, the IV isn't as colored and some folks like that. Also you might not hear that big of an improvement. This kind of thing always varies from person to person, and some of the folks here (BenF for instance) like the Heaven IV a lot more than I do, so you might not find the Heaven V that big of a jump.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, this really helps me with my decision. I couldn't find any reviews online of the V only the aging model, so that is much appreciated. The reason I love my heaven IV so much is the soundstage, so maybe to me the upgrade would be worth it.
post #3543 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJunki3 View Post


Thanks, this really helps me with my decision. I couldn't find any reviews online of the V only the aging model, so that is much appreciated. The reason I love my heaven IV so much is the soundstage, so maybe to me the upgrade would be worth it.

 

I didn't hear any difference between the V and the V Aging. I'm pretty sure it's just a cosmetic difference.

post #3544 of 4300
Quote:
Pandora opened a jar (pithos), in modern accounts sometimes mistranslated as "Pandora's box" (see below), releasing all the evils of humanity—although the particular evils, aside from plagues and diseases, are not specified in detail by Hesiod—leaving only Hope inside once she had closed it again. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora, 2014)

 

And I can't help but keep guessing why it was named Pandora Hope, which sounds like a paradox to me. Then I was illuminated by the idea that maybe they meant: The last treasure inside the Pandora box which is yet to be opened, the HOPE. A bright and sparkling gem emerged from the deepest of the abyss. 

 

And then when you see the design of the box, a black container and the hairy fur. It feels like you're digging up a treasure within a mass of darkness. Such poetic and thoughtful planning!

 

Disclaimer: The above was just a speculation.

post #3545 of 4300
Hi muppetface, which of these heaven series would u classify as bright sounding?
post #3546 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJunki3 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure they can't be that cheap, they're about £100 used from what I've seen on the FS/FT forum. I know I laid £110 for mine on here.

Thanks for Your reply anyway. I'll most likely still buy the heaven VI as I'll be using an amp with them also.

 

I think that you will be very happy with that decision. My Westone ES5, a well-regarded custom which was my IEM of choice for two years, gets fairly little use now. I prefer the Heaven VI.

 

Properly amped, the Heaven VI is a simply fine headphone. The sound is a bit colored as in 'euphonic'. It excels at vocals but I enjoy it with all genres of music.

post #3547 of 4300

Speaking of FAD's creation of wonderful euphonic headphones with chrome copper, I am having a great session with the 1601SC from the DX50 (FW 1.2.7) and the Pico Power. 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged is just sounding gorgeous. I might even take the 1601SC on the road one of these days - a bit of a crazy thought but tempting.

post #3548 of 4300

I'm curious if anyone has tried AKR01 vs IV on the AK100 & 120?

Similar design/model but just different tuning.

post #3549 of 4300

How would people on here compare the Heaven IV to, say the Sennheiser IE80? 

post #3550 of 4300

Hi, between FAD heaven II and IV which is better bargain?

 

since price are not that much difference, can it come to preferred?

 

 

FWIR, heaven IV soundstage is as wide as GR07 with more depth, is it really?

post #3551 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbushido- View Post
 

Hi, between FAD heaven II and IV which is better bargain?

 

since price are not that much difference, can it come to preferred?

 

 

FWIR, heaven IV soundstage is as wide as GR07 with more depth, is it really?

 

Skip Heaven II, it's not anywhere as good as Heaven IV.

post #3552 of 4300

So if I'm looking for something that has bass when required for electronic / dance music but want really good mids and highs for vocals and instruments, which model do I go for?

post #3553 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

So if I'm looking for something that has bass when required for electronic / dance music but want really good mids and highs for vocals and instruments, which model do I go for?

I have the Heaven IV, I also like dance and electronic, they're very good for this and don't disappoint on the other things you asked about. Also I may be selling mine very soon and upgrading. They're less than a month old.

post #3554 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

So if I'm looking for something that has bass when required for electronic / dance music but want really good mids and highs for vocals and instruments, which model do I go for?


Heaven IV

 

https://www.buysmartjapan.com/index.php/en-us/product-index-K0000360428-f27b3c0a8003b3d890c1f7ee2e50986c.html

 

Absolutely amazing for the price.

post #3555 of 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
 

 

 

I recommend you go with the FI-BA-SS. It's the FAD phone with the more typical audiophile sound, yet with good capabilities. I bought a pair of EQ-5s to see if it captured the essence of the FI-BA-SS, and it didn't. What you'll gain from the upgrade is much deeper and textured bass, full mids, and better treble. If you want texture, the SS will grant it to you in spades. It makes the piano and strings sound like good old friends.

 

As for the Piano Fortes, those are a different story. I find them to be very mood dependent, really. They remind me of the typical gramophone sound. On my first go around with them, I was stricken by how they presented some of my music. This time around, I find myself far less enamored by them. So that may be something to be considered.

I second that : I have EQ-7 (which is are outstanding) and went for FI-BA-SS. At a price, granted.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread