or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 236

post #3526 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post


He was likely referring to the lettered Heaven series, A, S, C, and arguably the SS, though that might not be technically considered a Heaven. The newer numbered series look to be internally vented into a specially designed chamber.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

^ Exactly, thanks for the clarification! :smile_phones: 

 

My bad. I should have specified Heaven IV, V, VI etc...

 

It does bode well though for the potential to install BAM in a custom IEM.

post #3527 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by apossibleworld View Post
 

I've read impressions in this thread about the differences that the materials might make in the different FAD designs, but I don't think there was ever a post from someone who directly compared several of them side by side.  Or did I miss it?

 

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to buy some Piano Fortes, and am having a hard time choosing.  I usually like bright headphones, and I know none of these are bright, but is the IX slightly brighter than the others?  Or is it best just to buy the highest model I can reasonably afford?

 

I've compared the various models side-by-side, yes.

 

None of the Piano Fortes are remotely bright. In fact I'd say they are the antithesis of it. The highest model, the X, is probably the least so of them all. I suppose the IX would be, but that's honestly like saying it's the "littlest giant."

post #3528 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

 

I've compared the various models side-by-side, yes.

 

None of the Piano Fortes are remotely bright. In fact I'd say they are the antithesis of it. The highest model, the X, is probably the least so of them all. I suppose the IX would be, but that's honestly like saying it's the "littlest giant."

 

Thanks, and yep I do understand that.  Let me rephrase... I usually like bright headphones but I have a feeling that what the PFs offer would be very appealing to me in a different way.  So maybe the question there is really irrelevant.

 

MuppetFace, can you describe the differences you experienced between the PF models?

post #3529 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by apossibleworld View Post
 

 

Thanks, and yep I do understand that.  Let me rephrase... I usually like bright headphones but I have a feeling that what the PFs offer would be very appealing to me in a different way.  So maybe the question there is really irrelevant.

 

MuppetFace, can you describe the differences you experienced between the PF models?

 

Gotcha.

 

As far as the differences go, personally I hear them as being very subtle. All three have the same overall kind of sound, very mid-centric and dense but with a large and open sense of space at the same time (they're not airy but still very open-sounding, which is why they're so unique). The X is just that same idea taken to a greater extreme: it's even more mid-centric, thicker and warmer in timbre. In a purely relative sense the IX is the most linear of the three to my ears, with a clearer sound and a bit less warmth. The VIII is somewhere in between the IX and X in that respect, though I hear its bottom end as sounding the fullest of the three. Also after directly comparing them, the VIII seemed somewhat edgier and more forward, though I wouldn't really notice otherwise.

 

Pretty much in keeping with the way I hear FAD's use of metals in general:

 

Brass - lively

Stainless - pure

Copper - warm

 

Just in this case, it's applied to the overall Piano Forte coloration. Like different flavorings in the same tea.

post #3530 of 6691
Listening to my PF X-G on Christmas day:





post #3531 of 6691

Hi all, nice to be here in the FAD appreciation thread, I own a pair of Heaven IV's and I really love them, my mum also just got the same pair and my dad soon to, so we have a bit of a FAD obsession going on here. I am wondering who has tried both the Heaven IV and the Heaven V(standard ones) as I am considering upgrading already and giving my dad the IV's. What are the major differences between the two and maybe some minor ones too. Is it worth the upgrade?

 

Thanks

post #3532 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJunki3 View Post
 

Hi all, nice to be here in the FAD appreciation thread, I own a pair of Heaven IV's and I really love them, my mum also just got the same pair and my dad soon to, so we have a bit of a FAD obsession going on here. I am wondering who has tried both the Heaven IV and the Heaven V(standard ones) as I am considering upgrading already and giving my dad the IV's. What are the major differences between the two and maybe some minor ones too. Is it worth the upgrade?

 

Thanks

 

I have Heaven IV and VI - the VI is a small improvement in every area SQ-wise. V is even a smaller improvement, so you may not be too happy about the bang-for-the-buck in this upgrade.

Heaven IV is probably the best IEM that can be bought for 130-140$.

post #3533 of 6691
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenF View Post

 

I have Heaven IV and VI - the VI is a small improvement in every area SQ-wise. V is even a smaller improvement, so you may not be too happy about the bang-for-the-buck in this upgrade.

Heaven IV is probably the best IEM that can be bought for 130-140$.

They tend to go for a bit more than that.

post #3534 of 6691
Yeah, I'm sure they can't be that cheap, they're about £100 used from what I've seen on the FS/FT forum. I know I laid £110 for mine on here.

Thanks for Your reply anyway. I'll most likely still buy the heaven VI as I'll be using an amp with them also.
post #3535 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

They tend to go for a bit more than that.


You can buy them through http://kakaku.com for that amount.

post #3536 of 6691

You'd need a forwarding service outside Japan, wouldn't you?

post #3537 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

You'd need a forwarding service outside Japan, wouldn't you?


They have their own - check the banner at the bottom of the page:

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000360428/

post #3538 of 6691

Thanks. I have the Heaven IV anyway, but was just curious.

post #3539 of 6691

Dunno if you've seen this, but I did a comparison between the newer Heaven models:

 

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

 

There are two things to consider (aside from price) in my humble opinion. First, the higher models---the V and VI---are somewhat more colored than the Heaven IV. The IV is the most linear of the new Heaven series to my ears. Basically, the V and VI will sound a bit warmer and [relatively] more U shaped. The second thing to consider though is that in my opinion the Heaven V gets a definite improvement in spatial rendering over the IV. Basically it sounds more 3D to my ears.

 

That being said, to me, the difference between the V and VI is much less than the difference between the IV and V. So it's sort of like:

 

IV ----------> V --> VI

 

BUT, again, the IV isn't as colored and some folks like that. Also you might not hear that big of an improvement. This kind of thing always varies from person to person, and some of the folks here (BenF for instance) like the Heaven IV a lot more than I do, so you might not find the Heaven V that big of a jump.

 

Hope that helps!


Edited by MuppetFace - 1/1/14 at 5:35am
post #3540 of 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Dunno if you've seen this, but I did a comparison between the newer Heaven models:

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

There are two things to consider (aside from price) in my humble opinion. First, the higher models---the V and VI---are somewhat more colored than the Heaven IV. The IV is the most linear of the new Heaven series to my ears. Basically, the V and VI will sound a bit warmer and [relatively] more U shaped. The second thing to consider though is that in my opinion the Heaven V gets a definite improvement in spatial rendering over the IV. Basically it sounds more 3D to my ears.

That being said, to me, the difference between the V and VI is much less than the difference between the IV and V. So it's sort of like:

IV
> V --> VI

BUT, again, the IV isn't as colored and some folks like that. Also you might not hear that big of an improvement. This kind of thing always varies from person to person, and some of the folks here (BenF for instance) like the Heaven IV a lot more than I do, so you might not find the Heaven V that big of a jump.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, this really helps me with my decision. I couldn't find any reviews online of the V only the aging model, so that is much appreciated. The reason I love my heaven IV so much is the soundstage, so maybe to me the upgrade would be worth it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread