Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 218

post #3256 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Oh wow, the Pandora is still an actual thing? Does it still have that alleged, death clamp of doom? Do we know the release date?

 

These impressions of a prototype at Mook say that they're quite comfortable: http://headfijourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/final-audio-design-pandora-6.html

post #3257 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

These impressions of a prototype at Mook say that they're quite comfortable: http://headfijourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/final-audio-design-pandora-6.html

Oh fantastic! Thanks for that smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: wait... This is a 50 mm DD with a BA in the housing? Lulz, oh FAD you so crazy

Edit2: wow, aside from their classy looks, the SQ sounds like it's stellar. So long Alpha Dog, hello Pandora!
Edited by Idsynchrono_24 - 10/17/13 at 1:43pm
post #3258 of 5117

Wow... that Pandora. Guess finally FAD has gone into mainstream headphone pricing, if it really is that spectacular. 

post #3259 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post


Oh fantastic! Thanks for that smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: wait... This is a 50 mm DD with a BA in the housing? Lulz, oh FAD you so crazy

Edit2: wow, aside from their classy looks, the SQ sounds like it's stellar. So long Alpha Dog, hello Pandora!

 

Yeah np!

 

Actually someone in the Alpha Dog thread mentioned that he thought the Alpha Dog and Pandora VI were the best bang-for-the-buck headphones at CanJam, and for all the hype the AD is getting, I think that's saying something  :)

post #3260 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

Yeah np!

Actually someone in the Alpha Dog thread mentioned that he thought the Alpha Dog and Pandora VI were the best bang-for-the-buck headphones at CanJam, and for all the hype the AD is getting, I think that's saying something  smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I got a MD 1.0 that I can upgrade to the tune of $360. I'm sure the SQ of the AD is stellar, but the allure of FAD is too strong. I dig the wackiness, the classiness, and the unusual tech implemented in their phones; they have a compelling philosophy. I can't overstate how impressed I am with what they're able to achieve with their single BA and DD designs. I can only wonder what they can extract out of a huge 50 mm driver and a proprietary BA, hell, that Pandora just shot straight up to the top of my "lust" list
post #3261 of 5117

So who is going to buy the Pandora X? It's a beauty.

 

(It may not win any value awards but that's just getting back to FAD basics.)

post #3262 of 5117

When will Heaven II finally go on sale?

post #3263 of 5117
Quote:
So long Alpha Dog, hello Pandora!

Just get both.


There was a mention of the ANYMODES/FADalikes somewhere on this thread, anyone manage to get their hands on one yet? I've emailed them repeatedly but they've not given me the time of day for over 2/3 weeks now.

 

Part of me just wants to wait until Musica has the Heaven II for pre-order (if that's in the cards). Perhaps I'll wait for this local H-Fer to grab the IV preorder that he was talking about and try them out, just to see what I'm getting into.

 

As an aside, the PFII, I maintain, must be the strangest, most off-putting (in the most novel way) earbuds that I've experienced thus far.

post #3264 of 5117

I saw alot of second hand Heaven IIs on E-earphone. Not sure if that means anything to you guys.

post #3265 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post
 

I saw alot of second hand Heaven IIs on E-earphone. Not sure if that means anything to you guys.

 

 

Can anyone compare Heaven II with Heaven IV/VI ?

post #3266 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

This morning I rekindled a fondness for my 1601 models. There's just something honest about them, despite the signature being what I consider a "boutique signature." I think this stems from my having listened to nothing but multi-BA CIEMs for a while. While these types of devices can perform exceedingly well in some areas (resolution, extension, dynamics), I think FAD's single-driver BAs and especially their dynamic models like the 1601s and 1602s / PFs have a cohesiveness to their sound.

 

Like I said in my impressions of the Heaven V for Musica Acoustics, I feel as though FAD really tries to capture the entire context behind 'listening' --- emphasizing the experience of doing so itself --- in their art form. With FAD, it's the whole package: the aesthetics of the various metals aren't just for show, but they impact the sound directly, one artform interacting with another (ie. music). The music is inseparable from the device transmitting it. Both interacting with the listener, soliciting a strong emotional response. The transmission is inseparable from the listener.

 

Incidentally, I also have a pair of the Cardas Ear Mirrors now. They're very pretty, very solid. The cable however is an ergonomic disaster: it's enormous, doesn't bend easily, and its weight pulls the earpieces out of your ears when you move too much. They fit more like a traditional IEM versus the 1601s / 1602s however, so it kind of evens out in the end with both a little difficult for me to keep in position. Sonically, their overall tonal balance through the mids and highs seems similar to me, though there is a definite bass emphasis on the Cardas that the FADs don't have. Whether this is a good or bad thing is obviously a matter of taste, though personally I find the massive bass a bit obnoxious on certain tracks. The timbre is also more sophisticated on the FADs, and their midrange is more musically expressive. The second biggest difference for me in how these handle spatial reproduction. Sense of space on the FADs is frankly superior. The Ear Mirrors are very good at conveying left and right tracking and have a wide-ish stage, but sound very flat to me. I'm honestly a little confused over some early impressions (on Stereophile maybe?) that cited them as having amazing holographic presentation. Yes, they do give you an 'out of head' type of presentation, but everything that's out there seems flat. It's the 'shooting gallery effect' as I call it. Like a bunch of cutouts. More problematic still however is the sense of scale. Everything just sounds small on the Ear Mirrors. The FADs on the other hand give a much better sense of depth and size.

 

 

Great post MF. And I think a certain sparrow would likely concur with a few if not most of your points. I will throw in my 2 cents and state that their single driver BA's (the one I have, the Heaven VI), are pretty incredible for a single BA iem. They really get the listener closer to the 'art', and I have enjoyed them for many, many months. A truly great 'all-rounder'.

 

Regarding the PF's, they are certainly incredibly cohesive. But different enough that I can see how some are not terribly enamored by them. However, when they are on, they are on. Probably the only iem I will likely never sell. Do I sound like a broken record?

post #3267 of 5117

It seems that people are confusing the PF II (plastic earbud long on the market) with the Heaven II which is not yet generally released.

post #3268 of 5117

I swear I'm not confused, truly and honestly.

has the Heaven II for pre-order

 

As an aside, the PFII

post #3269 of 5117
No, not thee.
post #3270 of 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Just get both.
There was a mention of the ANYMODES/FADalikes somewhere on this thread, anyone manage to get their hands on one yet? I've emailed them repeatedly but they've not given me the time of day for over 2/3 weeks now.

Part of me just wants to wait until Musica has the Heaven II for pre-order (if that's in the cards). Perhaps I'll wait for this local H-Fer to grab the IV preorder that he was talking about and try them out, just to see what I'm getting into.

As an aside, the PFII, I maintain, must be the strangest, most off-putting (in the most novel way) earbuds that I've experienced thus far.

I can't resist the shiny, shiny. If the K3K's get you arm candy, the Pandora'll turn me into Hefner himself. I fail to see how any discerning womenfolk will give me the time of day if I'm sportin ADs.

Oh, and I think the IV is supposed to be the most pedestrian of the Heaven phones no? They're supposed to be most lackin in "TwonQ" factor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread