Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 182

post #2716 of 5126

Here is my latest experiment with the Heaven VI. Even as I move away from Complys with the Flat4-KAEDE, I have been intrigued by the possibility of how they might improve the Heaven VI. As some may remember, I am deep insertion guy with the Heavens:

 

 

The Heaven VI medium B tips sound very good but are not especially secure. I tried some large Comply TS-500 foamies and the results pointed to something promising except that they were too damn big which affected not only comfort but also depth of insertion. So I ordered some medium TS-400s specifically to try with the Heaven VI:

 

 

I am all of one hour in but so far I am pleased. The hoped for secure fit and increased isolation are fully realised. No surprise there. They are also quite comfortable - much better anyway than the large Comply TS tips. 

 

I am still contemplating the influence on the sound. It seems to be positive but too early to reach serious conclusions.


Edited by cooperpwc - 7/18/13 at 12:38am
post #2717 of 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Forget about those tips, I've tried them ad nauseam: anything that seals the canal will just make the 1601 sound muffled and congested.

 

Absolutely.

post #2718 of 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Forget about those tips, I've tried them ad nauseam: anything that seals the canal will just make the 1601 sound muffled and congested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Absolutely.

 

So pleased to have this reconfirmed since my 1601SC are missing those accessories. (They knocked another $150 off the price as a result.)

post #2719 of 5126

...and now I am indulging another of James' 'frankenmods' (as i call them), this time by trimming the end foam from said Comply TS-400s. Will the madness never end?!!

post #2720 of 5126

Anybody who's been following the KAEDE thread will know just how much I love those phones—without a doubt one of the very best I've ever heard—and yet...and yet the PF IXs reach deeper into who I am, like no other phone ever has. And, interestingly, it didn't even take a minute to adjust from the very different—and brilliant—sonics of the KAEDEs to those very peculiar ones of the PF IXs.

 

When I recently said that the PF IXs was like "coming home" (coming home to someone who knows you very well), it was true, more true, it seems, now even. There's absolutely nothing that comes close to the PF's midrange and the whole PF IX presentation. The term "musical" seems inappropriate for some reason — "compelling" is still the word that always springs to mind, specially when I've been 'away' from these wonderful phones.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4wWTOCe26A


Edited by music_4321 - 7/18/13 at 6:49pm
post #2721 of 5126

Well said, music. I also love the KAEDE. What a peculiar, yet soul-moving machine, eh? Much like PF, but not quite. 

 

I was just thinking. If I could only own one earphone or headphone for the rest of my life from my collection right now, it very well may be the Heaven VI. It is the best of the PF and the FI-BA-SS smooshed together. You get the detail, texture, and extension that reminds you of the SS, but you get, lush, warm, enveloping, engaging mids that pull on your heart like the PFs can. While not good as either one, they are a fantastic all-rounder, and make everything just sound great.

 

Heaven Fanboyism again. 

post #2722 of 5126

Can't seem to find who recommended the Corryells CD (maybe it was in a different thread).

 

Anyway, thanks to whoever you are, this one's excellent on the FAD 1601s! smile_phones.gif

post #2723 of 5126

Red:

 

 

 

Blue:

 

post #2724 of 5126
I just can't decide which one I like better. Fantastic work, my friend - as always.
post #2725 of 5126

Did someone post this already? (Not sure.) happy_face1.gif

 

post #2726 of 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Well said, music. I also love the KAEDE. What a peculiar, yet soul-moving machine, eh? Much like PF, but not quite. 

I was just thinking. If I could only own one earphone or headphone for the rest of my life from my collection right now, it very well may be the Heaven VI. It is the best of the PF and the FI-BA-SS smooshed together. You get the detail, texture, and extension that reminds you of the SS, but you get, lush, warm, enveloping, engaging mids that pull on your heart like the PFs can. While not good as either one, they are a fantastic all-rounder, and make everything just sound great.

Heaven Fanboyism again. 

Considering how much I liked the SS, sounds like I need to try the VI someday.
post #2727 of 5126
Are any of them circumaural?
post #2728 of 5126

"I'm almost done with all my secrets...."

 

 

post #2729 of 5126
Holy shmolys, that is my favourite so far... I"m Melting..............................
post #2730 of 5126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Holy shmolys, that is my favourite so far... I"m Melting..............................

 

 

So are my PF IX's. ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread