^ How on earth did you know that?! Now, that is spooky.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandFinaltagged by JenniferO, 6/8/15
- brandFinal Audio Designtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Adagio Vtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design FAD-BA-SBtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Heaven IVtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Piano Forte IXtagged by System, 7/31/12
- productFitEar TO GO! 334tagged by System, 6/9/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 12/2/16 at 3:20pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Are There Sonic Differences Between Final Audio Piano Forte VIII, IX and X? Last post on 11/24/16 at 7:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best portable rig under $200-$250? Last post on 9/6/12 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 174post #2596 of 66977/2/13 at 4:55am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2597 of 66977/2/13 at 6:56amQuote:Originally Posted by james444
As I said before, the 1601s (and PFs) work only with some music for me. Every once in a while though, the result of their love affair with mids, reverb and space can be simply sublime:
Finally had a chance to give these 3 pieces a proper listen. It was the third short piece that, to these ears, contained real music (you know, with a capital...), the other two were quite nice, though.post #2598 of 66977/2/13 at 8:22amQuote:
...meaning shotgunshane bought the wrong track?post #2599 of 66977/2/13 at 8:30ampost #2600 of 66977/2/13 at 8:38ampost #2601 of 66977/2/13 at 8:39am
Well, Mr shotgunshane has openly declared numerous times he prefers 32kbps / 64kbps mp3 downloads over 8-track tapes, reel-to-reel & 78rpm records, and he loves Van Halen!; then, of course, he naturally prefers the TG334 & 1p2 over the PFs, FI-BA-SS & K3003s. So, you tell me…post #2602 of 66977/2/13 at 8:41am
Unfortunately no; he sold many, many years/decades ago. It had that same metallic bronze/copper color and had a white vinyl top with white vinyl interior. I remember listening to 8 track of bands like Axis and Starz.
Edited by shotgunshane - 7/2/13 at 8:46ampost #2603 of 66977/2/13 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by james444
Just for the sake of balance, a few tracks from an album that works a lot better on my FI-BA-SS than on those crappy 1601s (and PFs). This might even appeal to Van Halen fans...
@woodcans, what can I say, awesome as always...
Well, it certainly appeals to this Van Halen fan. And for the FI-BA-SS, without question!! Also, thanks for compliment!post #2604 of 66977/3/13 at 12:31pm
Alright, here's something that may not pass as real music by grumpy old sparrow's standards, but nevertheless has been off and on my portable players since the late 80s and still manages to sound quite fresh today.
In summer 1987 Canadian/Swiss singer and guitarist Phil Carmen, mainly known for his hit single "On My Way to L.A." and his Knopfler-esque guitar sound, played a memorable set at Montreux Jazz Festival. Even though his band featured some excellent and then well-known musicians (Brian Auger on keyboards, Dick Morrissey on sax, Dire Straits' Pick Withers on drums) and the resulting live album received critical acclaim in Germany and Switzerland, it soon vanished from the shelves of record stores and is hard to come by these days. I haven't been able to find any of the live tracks on YouTube, so I'd suggest you just listen to the studio version of his best known song below and grab the live album from here if you like it (LAME -q0, hope no one will mind me sharing this out of print music).
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, this one sounds pretty awesome on all of my FAD models!
Edited by james444 - 7/3/13 at 12:53pmpost #2605 of 66977/3/13 at 6:07pm
^ The YouTube link you posted did not meet, I'm afraid to say, the 'real music grumpy old sparrow's standards'. However, I downloaded the live album you kindly shared and have just listened to about 3 mins of the first track (off to be now as it's terribly late in our side of the pond!), and things are looking more promising on the 'real music' front...post #2606 of 66977/3/13 at 6:17pm
Quote:Originally Posted by music_4321
^ The YouTube link you posted did not meet, I'm afraid to say, the 'real music grumpy old sparrow's standards'. However, I downloaded the live album you kindly shared and have just listened to about 3 mins of the first track (off to be now as it's terribly late in our side of the pond!), and things are looking more promising on the 'real music' front...
james, thoroughly enjoying the download, thank you very much. I do suspect the super grumpy sparrow will approve of your choice once he gets a bit more sleep.
Edit: 'rocking' it with the PFIX's.post #2607 of 66977/4/13 at 2:09ampost #2608 of 66977/4/13 at 8:30ampost #2609 of 66977/4/13 at 8:31amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › ATH-W1000X Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Etymotic ER4-PT 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Does the cable affect sound quality? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 6 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 7 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 9 minutes ago
- › Ground isolation and clean power for my iDSD Nano 10 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear