- 169 Posts. Joined 8/2007
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandFinaltagged by JenniferO, 6/8/15
- brandFinal Audio Designtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Adagio Vtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design FAD-BA-SBtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Heaven IVtagged by System, 6/9/12
- productFinal Audio Design Piano Forte IXtagged by System, 7/31/12
- productFitEar TO GO! 334tagged by System, 6/9/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/9/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 1/20/17 at 9:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Are There Sonic Differences Between Final Audio Piano Forte VIII, IX and X? Last post on 11/24/16 at 7:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best portable rig under $200-$250? Last post on 9/6/12 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 170post #2536 of 71246/27/13 at 4:05pmUtdeep tried the Kuro Flat 4 and disliked the brightness. So I would suggest to stay away from BA SS and go straight to piano ix
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2537 of 71246/27/13 at 4:29pmpost #2538 of 71246/27/13 at 5:00pmThanks to you I saved 1k. I was about to pull the trigger on the Kaede when I read your impression of the Kaede. Since then another member has mirrored your opinion.
I live in Oz and I know of no one with the Flat 4 for me to audition.
Edited by Leicachamp - 6/27/13 at 5:28pmpost #2539 of 71246/27/13 at 5:18pmpost #2540 of 71246/27/13 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by SoundFreaq
There is nothing on Earth like the PF series. So remarkable. So different. I'd give away anything in my collection before giving those away. Would it be my deserted-island phone? Probably not. They are not the best all-rounders, but I value those more than I do anything else I've owned. Actually of any possession, ever.
Currently blasting some more DM & TR live at RCMH through the PF IX's. I must say there is nothing like this, and I agree with SF's comments as above. The connection to the music is unique and very hard (almost impossible) to come by with (any) other iem. Back to the music.....post #2541 of 71246/27/13 at 5:35pmQuote:
1) Ah, true, very true. What can I say?
3) Yes, very awful pics. Wasn't going to post this, but one of my coworkers (not the one who thinks PF's are 'earbuds'), but another, really likes this one, so I guess I will share. Blue 'Ice Castles'.post #2542 of 71246/27/13 at 5:42pm
I just upgraded my laptop to a 1080p panel, and I was looking for a great wallpaper. Thanks!post #2543 of 71246/27/13 at 6:05pmQuote:
Since thanks to utdeep you saved $1,000, how about doing the right thing by possibly helping utdeep save ~$1,000?
If not too sure about accomplishing such a lofty and honourable task, I wonder if we should bring in head-fier Inks once again and kindly ask him to explain to utdeep—and remind us all in the process—why the Piano Fortes (and 1601s) are "abominations", "crap", "one of those cases where some will place in the argument that it's an acquired taste or special sound, but I can say the same for the Apple earbuds, if only they had an exclusive price tag and shiny housing"?
If utdeep would care to PM music_fanboy_4321, he could even point him to a site where at least one experienced member refers to these phones as a "piece of sh*t".
utdeep could also PM up late & shotgunshane, two members who were not that impressed by the PFs.
Edited by music_4321 - 6/27/13 at 6:08pmpost #2544 of 71246/27/13 at 6:43pmAll this PMing... Mr. Sparrow, I'm more of the antisocial type. I'd rather just blow a couple of grand, loose a grand or more on reselling in the FS forums, and then bad mouth the headphones after the sale.
That's my idea of community . Research? Like I trust anyone with less than 10 years of experience on head-fi. Newbies! All of you!
Leicachamp, I saved you a $1000? Please reserve your cash for when I resell the Piano Forte IX.post #2545 of 71246/27/13 at 6:56pm
If you don't mind, utdeep, I much prefer to be referred to as a n00b rather than a newbie, so music_n00b_fanboy_4321 will do — please understand I'm already far too grumpy, fairly distressed and frankly quite depressed, so please don't make things any harder for me.post #2546 of 71246/28/13 at 12:29amQuote:Originally Posted by woodcans
Currently blasting some more DM & TR live at RCMH through the PF IX's. I must say there is nothing like this, and I agree with SF's comments as above. The connection to the music is unique and very hard (almost impossible) to come by with (any) other iem. Back to the music.....
I do find this very reproduction-centric view of music slightly problematic, and wonder whether it really takes you closer if it's so dependent on the rather idiosyncratic qualities of this earphone. One of my most formative listening experiences, which almost single-handedly got me into modern classical music and composition, was with a cassette copy of Bartók's fifth and sixth string quartets from LPs, listened to on cheap walkman earbuds. Not the way I'd choose to listen to the music today, but I think there's a danger of fetishising the equipment when one falls in love with its characteristics, and one should draw the line between that recording-based experience and the actual piece of music, which is written and played before ever being recorded.post #2547 of 71246/28/13 at 1:46ampost #2548 of 71246/28/13 at 6:29amQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by quartertone
I do find this very reproduction-centric view of music slightly problematic, and wonder whether it really takes you closer if it's so dependent on the rather idiosyncratic qualities of this earphone. One of my most formative listening experiences, which almost single-handedly got me into modern classical music and composition, was with a cassette copy of Bartók's fifth and sixth string quartets from LPs, listened to on cheap walkman earbuds. Not the way I'd choose to listen to the music today, but I think there's a danger of fetishising the equipment when one falls in love with its characteristics, and one should draw the line between that recording-based experience and the actual piece of music, which is written and played before ever being recorded.
A very interesting point, but in itself slightly problematic (if I may say so). Let's develop your thought further... so, where is this actual piece of music played and heard, before ever being recorded? And how different are the acoustic properties of that room (a concert hall, a club) to what you get from a recorded version on a high quality reproduction chain?
If I happen to feel a close connection while listening to classical music in my hometown's world-famous Musikvereinssaal (reverberation time 2-3 seconds, a big mess of reflected sound everywhere except for the first few rows), am I in danger of fetishing the equipment?post #2549 of 71246/28/13 at 7:57amQuote:
It gets more problematic the deeper one goes...Quote:Let's develop your thought further... so, where is this actual piece of music played and heard, before ever being recorded?
First of all, it originates (this applies most of all to Western 'classical' music) in the mind and fingers of the composer. Then it is rehearsed at a given location (and most likely the bigger the ensemble, the bigger the location, with the attendant acoustic results). Then it's recorded in a studio or live - in the latter case, one take (leaving aside edits) in one particular acoustic space.Quote:And how different are the acoustic properties of that room (a concert hall, a club) to what you get from a recorded version on a high quality reproduction chain?
That will obviously depend on the original space and the equipment; this is where things like highly coloured earphones will take the recording away from that original performance.Quote:
If I happen to feel a close connection while listening to classical music in my hometown's world-famous Musikvereinssaal (reverberation time 2-3 seconds, a big mess of reflected sound everywhere except for the first few rows), am I in danger of fetishing the equipment?
That question is actually more significant than (feel free to correct me) you perhaps realise - there are people who'd claim you haven't heard Mahler until you've heard it at the Musikverein. One has to examine such claims to find out whether they're simply based on chauvinism and a desperate attempt to defend the superiority of one's local cultural heritage (the latter very much a Viennese malaise, as I'm sure you know) or on concrete musical elements, for example if the reverberation time is factored into the durations chosen by the composer because they're writing for that space. Of course, this then leads into the gigantic tub of worms that is historical authenticity, and we can pick apart the choices of instrument, tempi and and edition as well... Keeping to the point, what I mainly mean is that 'emotion' (not going to deconstruct that just yet) is put into the music by the composer(s) who conceive it and the performers who realise it. I don't think that the means of mechanical reproduction can add any emotion; they can put a new perspective on it, but - to take up an analogy you've used - looking at a picture in sepia doesn't bring you closer to the original picture; it potentially creates a relationship with a new guise of it. I think it's comparable to musical arrangements - orchestrations of piano pieces, for example, or Bach keyboard music on the piano (even if most people wouldn't think of the latter as arrangements).post #2550 of 71246/28/13 at 8:14amQuote:
Not to interrupt your very interesting conversation (seriously), but I would think that it has just as much potential to go wrong at this point as it does at the end of the chain.
This kind of seems like a complication of the old argument on what is art exactly after it is in the public eye. Who controls how it is and should be interpreted and internalized.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 48 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton -... 4 minutes ago
- › Best Studio Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 5 minutes ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Dual 3 pin xlr to 4 pin xlr adapter 7 minutes ago
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear