or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 150

post #2236 of 6694

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post
 
I was troubled for many months on my habit of listening to sounds. Despite the music playing gloriously in my ear canals, I realized that most of the time my mind keeps on focusing on the little thing. Like how the drums slam, the trumpets blow,the cymbals crash, or any other instruments playing. I enjoyed very much of "looking" at the sounds, and the quality of timbre of the gears. Having Flat-4-Sui really satisfies my craving for these "details", but deep down in my heart, I felt something wasn't right. Something.
 
... When I played familiar tracks out from the horn-like nozzles, the word "wrong" keeps on popping out of my mind like an alarm triggered. It sounds so wrong on my Bon Jovi, it sounds so wrong on the drums, well, everything but the vocals is off. And that was my maiden experience on PF which left me thinking: Would I get something like that at all?...
 
It was the singularity of the sound signature.
 
I realize that for one moment, I wasn't paying attention to the sounds. I am listening to the song as a whole. Honestly, in a typical perspective, PF is one of worst in terms of balance and FR to me. It is all mids. Well, occasionally, I an hear some drums here and there, and a little treble peak from time to time, but the feel is just unique. Gone are the little details which became my OCD, and now I find my music much more enjoyable when I don't have to (and can't) concentrate on finding the little men in the song.
 
I am weird. Not everybody would agree with me. I took an expensive way to change my music-listening experience. By the way, I saw the word: HI-FI printed on the box, I guess it could've insulted a few people who have different idea on what HIFI should be.
 
Thanks for reading my confession.


Very interesting post, autumnholy.

I think there's a chance you'll find more details in the music you listen to as you spend more time with, and get used to, your PFs; not necessarily details in the way other more analytical / clinical or bright-sounding IEMs present them, but simply details you may have not noticed before as you were so into the music itself—always a very good sign in my book!—, but details simply presented differently — this will likely take you by surprise—and perhaps even shock you—every now and again.

 

As time goes by, there's also a chance you may not find your IXs as weird sounding as you did (and perhaps still do these days) and find yourself enjoying more music / genres with them than you already do. After almost a year with my pair, I still get the odd surprise here and there and still remain somewhat puzzled as to what it is that makes these very peculiar phones such a compelling listen (for me).

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Music, IwishthatyouwouldstoptalkingabouttheK3003. 

 

(You know that I am in the market for a dynamic or semi-dynamic vented design and those are on the list. I don't need the temptation just now.)

 

So do I(And thanks for your kind words as well).

 

  :(    That makes me feel terribly sad and disappointed, woodcans. You see, seeing the K3003 thread normally has very little activity, and the recent activity there seemed to focus more on the GR07 than the AKGs (!), I thought this would be the ideal thread to talk about, and promote the sales of, (Austrian) snake oil.

post #2237 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

I realize that for one moment, I wasn't paying attention to the sounds. I am listening to the song as a whole. Honestly, in a typical perspective, PF is one of worst in terms of balance and FR to me. It is all mids. Well, occasionally, I an hear some drums here and there, and a little treble peak from time to time, but the feel is just unique. Gone are the little details which became my OCD, and now I find my music much more enjoyable when I don't have to (and can't) concentrate on finding the little men in the song.
 
I guess it's a confession when i say, I didn't get PF for its superb SQ or anything. But rather, the look and the feel for it. I find the housing elegant like a jewelry, and I'm impressed by its unique presentation. Finally, I can convince my impulsive brain to stop analyzing music, and just sit down in the middle of the mini-hall and hear what the singer is singing, and allow the background music to be just background instead of the focal point.
 
I am weird. Not everybody would agree with me. I took an expensive way to change my music-listening experience. By the way, I saw the word: HI-FI printed on the box, I guess it could've insulted a few people who have different idea on what HIFI should be.
 
Thanks for reading my confession.

 

That's what the SA at Jaben Singapore also told me. She tried the PF X by the way...................................................smily_headphones1.gif

post #2238 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

  :(    That makes me feel terribly sad and disappointed, woodcans. You see, seeing the K3003 thread normally has very little activity, and the recent activity there seemed to focus more on the GR07 than the AKGs (!), I thought this would be the ideal thread to talk about, and promote the sales of, (Austrian) snake oil.

 

Don't feel too sad, when I said 'So do I', I was also referring to the second line of cooperpwc's post...unfortunately.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Very interesting post, autumnholy.

I think there's a chance you'll find more details in the music you listen to as you spend more time with, and get used to, your PFs; not necessarily details in the way other more analytical / clinical or bright-sounding IEMs present them, but simply details you may have not noticed before as you were so into the music itself—always a very good sign in my book!—, but details simply presented differently — this will likely take you by surprise—and perhaps even shock you—every now and again.

 

As time goes by, there's also a chance you may not find your IXs as weird sounding as you did (and perhaps still do these days) and find yourself enjoying more music / genres with them than you already do. After almost a year with my pair, I still get the odd surprise here and there and still remain somewhat puzzled as to what it is that makes these very peculiar phones such a compelling listen (for me).

 

 

x2. This has been my experience so far. Fortunately we have music, who can describe the experience much more aptly than I.

post #2239 of 6694

Actually the blunt statement is:

I can't concentrate on the "details" I used to focus on, because the music sounds too "as-a-whole" to be dissected into parts. LOL. Maybe it's due to the thick mids ksc75smile.gif (p/s: I find this emoticon rather similar to me listening through PF IX, with the metallic housing with pointy edge sticking out of my ears) Haha.

post #2240 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

Don't feel too sad, when I said 'So do I', I was also referring to the second line of cooperpwc's post...unfortunately.

 

Ah, I see..... Well, in that case you've got to believe me when I say there's nothing like Austrian snake oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnholy View Post

 

 ksc75smile.gif (p/s: I find this emoticon rather similar to me listening through PF IX, with the metallic housing with pointy edge sticking out of my ears) Haha.

 

I take it, then, your eyes, ears and your PFs are actually smaller than your teeth.  ;)


Edited by music_4321 - 6/11/13 at 6:10am
post #2241 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

I take it, then, your eyes, ears and your PFs are actually smaller than your teeth.  ;)

 

I imagine that the grin on my face will show all of my teeth handsomely when the music plays tongue_smile.gif

post #2242 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Ah, I see..... Well, in that case you've got to believe me when I say there's nothing like Austrian snake oil!

Devil over left shoulder: Man, I really wonder what happens when Austrian snake oil combines with Japanese snake oil!!

Angel over right shoulder: IwishthatyouwouldstoptalkingabouttheK3003, LALALAI'MNOTLISTENINGTOYOU!!!
post #2243 of 6694

I think what attracts me is that ambiance feeling.

It works especially magical with tracks which portrays the hall effect, such as Bruno Mars: When I was Your Man, or Adele's songs. The reverb is just mesmerizing.

post #2244 of 6694

For very 'serious' audiophiles like music_4321, our lovely sparrow who claims to know so much about "real" music, the mere mention of Elton John is anathema; besides, Elton John—let's face it—just ain't cool at all (certainly these days, and hasn't been so for maaaany years, actually), it's almost like mentioning those horrendous Apple earbuds on HF or on other so-called audio(phile) forums.

Anyway, here's a great (pop) song by Mr Elton John which happens to sound great through the PF IXs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlKYDIOxvFs  -----  Mr EJ is gay and most likely wished he could have openly written & sung 'boy' instead of 'girl' in the song—too risky for a pop star/icon—but the words and music remain…

post #2245 of 6694
Autumnholy, welcome to the music appreciation thread here on headfi, glad you have the terrible measuring and sounding PF's so you can join us fools on our merry musical journey wink.gif

Music, OK, I shall come out and say it EJ rules! In my very young youth I used to listen to his early albums on my cousin's reel to reel tape player and loved it all. Deeply unfashionable I agree but hey, at least he has not gone the route of Rod Stewart singing ruddy ballads!

Someone really ought to tell Rod to stick to what he does best, Gasoline Alley or at least re-invent himself in truly artistic ways the way Reg has done over the years!

And BTW, HDTracks have released a bunch of his early stuff in 24/96, I got goodbye yellow brick road and it brought back memories of those reel to reel days!
post #2246 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

 

Very nice review, Swimsonny! And boy, are those PF-X's photogenic!!

 

Unlike your experience, I find the Heaven VI's to be pretty gentle with bad recordings.

Thanks!

 

Hmmm, i found them to sound just a bit slow and muddled with low quality MP3 with but with lossless moving to HD tracks it sounded easy and fast.

 

As for the PF Xs most certainly, they have featured pictures in both my last two reviews as they just looks so good!

post #2247 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

 

As for the PF Xs most certainly, they have featured pictures in both my last two reviews as they just looks so good!

 

Please, please, PLEASE, let's not forget for a moment the "abominations" known as the Piano Fortes are meant to be only about possessing expensive & exclusive shiny Japanese stuff... and taking very cool-looking pics of them, NOT about SQ or the enjoyment of music with these pieces of "crap".

post #2248 of 6694

The Piano Forte photos are like porn for audiophiles smile.gif

 

popcorn.gif

post #2249 of 6694

A musical experience with the Piano Fortes is warm, lush, intimate, and special. Like profound, soul-releasing sex with your soulmate. 

 

So yes, they definitely are porn for audiophiles. 


Edited by SoundFreaq - 6/11/13 at 10:48am
post #2250 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

A musical experience with the Piano Fortes is warm, lush, intimate, and special. Like profound, soul-releasing sex with your soulmate. 

 

So yes, they definitely are porn for audiophiles. 

 

 

Even audio porn needs images to be most effective very_evil_smiley.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread