Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Add in resistance to the line between the amp and earphone is like raising the resistance if your earphone, and it makes your amp happier. Usually adding impedance to an earphone is a good thing and makes amps happier. Others here can get into very technical discussions about impedance matching. But that's the gist of it. 

Sorry to say, I think you got this wrong. Adding a serial resistor is not raising the impedance of your phone. Please google for "headphone impedance explained".
Edited by james444 - 5/16/13 at 2:58pm
post #1742 of 5084

I did not mean to say the impedance of your headphone is raised. It most definitely is not. I was simply trying to explain the relationship to the amp. 

 

Sorry for any confusion. 

post #1743 of 5084

"Prepare yourself for a shock":

 

post #1744 of 5084
Overjoyed!

Just found out that HDTT sell one of m favourite recordings of all time Dorati/LSO's recording of Respighi's Birds, Brazilian impressions. Just downloaded it in 24/96 and it is so superior to my well worn red book CD version, strings are clean and crisp with no harshness whatsoever. There is a warmth and organic beauty to this version and I highly recommend it if you have a player that can play it and love the music as much as I do.. They have a sale on at the moment as well!

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/category.php?cat=229

Oh, and to keep it on topic, this recording is MADE for the PF's! biggrin.gif
post #1745 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

I did not mean to say the impedance of your headphone is raised. It most definitely is not. I was simply trying to explain the relationship to the amp. 

Sorry for any confusion. 

No harm done. I've been thinking the same for quite some time, until I learned from said article and my discussions with Rin that adding a serial resistor is in fact adding output impedance to your amp and not impedance to your phone. Hence it should definitely be comparable to using the high impedance output jack on a D100.
post #1746 of 5084

So the problem is, the 71B can't output low enough for the super sensitive stuff. 

 

If a serial resistor increases output resistance, why does the distortion in my earphones attenuate and not increase? It sounds MUCH better. Why does the ER4p get "better?"

 

PS. Thanks for the heads up. Informative articles. Lots of misconception around here. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post


No harm done. I've been thinking the same for quite some time, until I learned from said article and my discussions with Rin that adding a serial resistor is in fact adding output impedance to your amp and not impedance to your phone. Hence it should definitely be comparable to using the high impedance output jack on a D100.
 

Edited by SoundFreaq - 5/16/13 at 4:44pm
post #1747 of 5084

First off — the photo I posted earlier had absolutely nothing to do with the latest posts to do with adding resistance to our FAD phones / amps but, looking back, it's interesting to see the timing of my post and theme I chose (I was watching my favourite FT episode, after not having done so for a very long time, and it suddenly occurred to me to make a photo of one of my favourite scenes, specially after I'd used a quote from that episode twice in this thread).

Secondly — once again I'm terribly disappointed no-one's mentioned what a great photo that was: the artistic merit is undeniable while the actual technique used is simply impeccable. (where is woodcans when you don't need him?)

Thirdly — onto less relevant matters: having plenty of genuine ignorance re: such technical matters, I tried my 75 ohm resistance adaptor with my FI-BA-SS, using the only amp I have, the Violectric V200 and it sounded pretty awful. Tried the same adaptor with the PF IXs and, while it didn't sound so terribly wrong (read: it was still rather enjoyable), it simply didn't sound quite right, the whole presentation was somewhat darker and a tad shallow-sounding, for lack of a better term.


Edited by music_4321 - 5/16/13 at 5:03pm
post #1748 of 5084

it's a funny photo, and it's done well. It just doesn't press my artistic buttons. But I do like and appreciate it. 

 

I don't understand why increasing output resistance decreases the distortion. And why does Etymotics sell that serial resistor cable to make the ER4 better?

post #1749 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Secondly — once again I'm terribly disappointed no-one's mentioned what a great photo that was: the artistic merit is undeniable while the actual technique used is simply impeccable. (where is woodcans when you don't need him?)

 

 

I was going to give high praise for your excellent pixelation and having the PF's quite artistically lit, but, I thought I had 

30 hours. (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post


On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s ....

 

 

 

 

post #1750 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post


On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s ....

 

Well, you can certainly make that 3 weeks now (and counting!)

post #1751 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Overjoyed!

Just found out that HDTT sell one of m favourite recordings of all time Dorati/LSO's recording of Respighi's Birds, Brazilian impressions. Just downloaded it in 24/96 and it is so superior to my well worn red book CD version, strings are clean and crisp with no harshness whatsoever. There is a warmth and organic beauty to this version and I highly recommend it if you have a player that can play it and love the music as much as I do.. They have a sale on at the moment as well!

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/category.php?cat=229

Oh, and to keep it on topic, this recording is MADE for the PF's! biggrin.gif

I first came across Respighi's music on an album featuring cellist Mischa Maisky, Respighi's Adagio con variazioni- one of the most beautiful pieces of music IMO, in the cello repertoire.
post #1752 of 5084

Hey now, I certainly gave your photo sincere(unlike my comments just above), proper praise!

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Well, you can certainly make that 3 weeks now (and counting!)

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

Proper praise. (Click to show)

That is a very cool photo indeed.  

 

 

 

2. See above.

 

post #1753 of 5084
Thanks SoundFreaq and James.
I bookmarked that article for commute reading tomorrow.

More on topic-
Fawlty Towers was way too good of a show with too many good episodes to choose from.
post #1754 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Remember the distortion I was talking about a few pages back? Some of it was in the music (thanks Ian, stuck on lossless now), but I also traced some back to my RSA 71B. With ultra-sensitive IEMs I was getting a very low amount of distortion on some tracks. I did not notice this with other low impedance cans. Just the FAD stuff that is so sensitive/low impedance. 

 

So, I bought a 75ohm resistor cable (The Etymotics ER4 cable) and added it in. Not only does it eradicate the distortion, but there is a noticeable appreciation in detail and transparency in both the Heaven VI and V. I am betting the same is true for the FI-BA-SS and PFIX as I heard the distortion with them as well. 

 

So, for $50, there's a strong chance that a resistor cable will take your FAD experience to another level. It is pretty noticeable. 

 

Hi buddy, how are you running your 71B? Single Ended or Balanced outputs?

 

There's a very noticeable difference between the two, on balanced outputs the 71B is clearly much, much better.......perhaps you could try a RSA to 3.5 female adaptor for your FAD IEMsnormal_smile%20.gif


Edited by spkrs01 - 5/16/13 at 7:52pm
post #1755 of 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Hi buddy, how are you running your 71B? Single Ended or Balanced outputs?

 

There's a very noticeable difference between the two, on balanced outputs the 71B is clearly much, much better.......perhaps you could try a RSA to 3.5 female for your FAD IEMsnormal_smile%20.gif

 

No, do not do this. Ray Samuels had made it very clear that this could damage your amp and headphones and void the 71B warranty.

 

(FYI You can certainly do the opposite: use an adapter to plug a balanced headphones into a single ended out. Many people do exactly this to allow balanced headphones to be used with SE amps.)

 

If you could recable the FAD IEMs for balanced use, that would be interesting...  :-)


Edited by cooperpwc - 5/16/13 at 7:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread