Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 99

post #1471 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanadiens View Post

Hi Music_4321,

I have not touched my AKG K3003 after PF IX arrived.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s (unless his excuse was that the latter was more expensive and he wasn't prepared to spend that much). I hope he never gets a proper fit with his FI-BA-SS

 

 

:-P (Click to show)

tongue_smile.gif

post #1472 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanadiens View Post

Hi Music_4321,

I happen to love Talk Talk as well.
I love The Color of Spring, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.

I think Laughing Stock is their masterpiece, because simply they throw away the manual book and create the genre-less Laughing Stock as their finale.

I love their spiritual journey and my fav track on it is New Grass.

Have to dig my old collection to try out PF IX.
I have not touched my AKG K3003 after PF IX arrived.

 

Hi there lescanadiens,

I think both "The Colour of Spring" & "Laughing Stock" are brilliant albums, albums where Music (with a capital "M") clearly visited and played a key role in the creative process. However, to me, in "Spirit of Eden" Music didn't only visit, but remained there during the whole process — not only is all of the music real, to these ears, but not a single note is wasted—something exceptionally rare—, every note has Music's intended place, so to speak. The appearance of silence in this album is part of Music's real presence, I feel.

As for your PF IXs & K3003s, I can understand perfectly well what you're going through — when I got my PF IXs, I went for months exclusively using them. If you read a few of my posts recently, you'll have noticed the HD800 is my all-time favourite phone, and it has occupied most of my ear-time for the last 3 months (the K3003s, as you may recall, to these ears, are very, very close sonically to the Senns), yet for the last week or so, it's been roughly HD800 > 65% & PF IX > 35%. The PF IX is the one IEM I would not sell under any circumstances unless I desperately needed the money. I might even sell my K3003s one day, but only because I do most of my music listening at home and I have the great HD800s for that; still, for those times when I travel or don't want to be 'tied' to the HD800, V200 & MBP, I just get my K3003 & 4G Touch to use around the house and I'm in sonic bliss. So, my K3003s won't be sold, or at least not in a very, very long time (absolutely remarkable that such small in-ears can produce such sunning SQ).

post #1473 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s (unless his excuse was that the latter was more expensive and he wasn't prepared to spend that much). I hope he never gets a proper fit with his FI-BA-SS

 

 

:-P (Click to show)

tongue_smile.gif

 

Very naughty, Mr woodcans!

post #1474 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

woodcans,

 

You gotta post those hi-res man! It's too good, I have to have them. I like yours too, Ian!

 

 

Full Rez links:

 

Green1   Green3

 

Green2   Green4

 

Green5

 

 

Colors1  Colors2

 

Dangling    Marbles

 

Green Lantern


Edited by woodcans - 4/28/13 at 7:18am
post #1475 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanadiens View Post

Hi MuppetFace,

Is the rose gold model similar to PF X-G in terms of finish?

I try to look it up but there seems not much information or impressions from current owners.

Would they sound similar to the current model of PF X?

Thanks

 

The rose gold finish was only available on the 1601SC, which was the predecessor to the Piano Forte X (whose designation is the 1602SC). The Piano Forte X comes in two different finishes: X-CC which uses chrome copper ion plating and X-G which uses gold plating.

 

The gold finish on the X-G is yellow gold instead of rose gold. It'll have a more traditional gold color, whereas the rose gold will have a slight pink tint. It's very subtle and hard to capture in photos, but in a way it's closer to the copper ion finish than yellow gold in terms of its look. Maybe half-way between the two.

 

The two Piano Forte X models, the CC and G, are basically identical in sound as far as I'm aware. There's probably very slight variation from one to the next just in terms of natural product variation, but I think FAD intends it to be a cosmetic change only. Same thing with the Heaven VI which comes in chrome copper and yellow gold as well.

 

I strongly suspect the original 1601SC will differ in sound from the Piano Forte X, as I've observed variation between the other 1601 models and their newer 1602 counterparts.

post #1476 of 4362
Hi Woodcans,

While at it, perhapa you could also try the only solo album from Mark Hollis after Talk Talk.

It is underrated, subtle but very much in spirit of Talk Talk.

For live, try London 86 or a compilation: Natural History.

Recently, EMI contacted Mark Hollis to release a sort of 'hand picked' tracks by MH to create "Natural Order". Read it as MH approved compilation as Natural History was not done with the band's approval.

Enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post



I just ordered all three albums. Thanks!!
post #1477 of 4362
Hi MuppetFace,

I amnow intrigue to find both PF X-G and X-CC. Crazy really.

I happen to read an earlier post of yours and agree that FAD do it in purpose to tune PF into 'analog' / 'vintage' sound that Japan domestic market love.

From the country that produce some of (or maybe the) finest tube and hifi equipment, it all makes perfect sense.

If i am not mistaken, was it Music_4321 that mentioned Audio Note description about the sound lingering in his head?

I remember how the first time i listen to AN SET syatem back in early 90s and blown away by the same sensation the first time inlisten to PF IX. They made sense in the first time i listen to them. I got it with AN and now, PF IX.

Funny enough, the first time i auditioned AN system, the owner of the shop asked for a blind test from tons of amplifiers on the floor, which was Ongaku? Luckily i chose the right amp and the owner smiled knowingly.

It was very Indiana Jones scene, really
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

The rose gold finish was only available on the 1601SC, which was the predecessor to the Piano Forte X (whose designation is the 1602SC). The Piano Forte X comes in two different finishes: X-CC which uses chrome copper ion plating and X-G which uses gold plating.

The gold finish on the X-G is yellow gold instead of rose gold. It'll have a more traditional gold color, whereas the rose gold will have a slight pink tint. It's very subtle and hard to capture in photos, but in a way it's closer to the copper ion finish than yellow gold in terms of its look. Maybe half-way between the two.

The two Piano Forte X models, the CC and G, are basically identical in sound as far as I'm aware. There's probably very slight variation from one to the next just in terms of natural product variation, but I think FAD intends it to be a cosmetic change only. Same thing with the Heaven VI which comes in chrome copper and yellow gold as well.

I strongly suspect the original 1601SC will differ in sound from the Piano Forte X, as I've observed variation between the other 1601 models and their newer 1602 counterparts.
post #1478 of 4362
Hi Music_4321,

I happen to find this thread shares some of my favorite music: progressive rock, jazz and Talk Talk also Radiohead.

I am also going through the widthdrawal sympthom with my PF IX and researching back catalogues of music to match.

In here people talk about arts, PF as Starry Night courtesy of MF. sepia colored pictures by others, psychedelic photos from Woodcans, Ianmedium, James444 and yourself. Wow. What a thread. Peaceful and very organic thread.

I also notice PF do not match with many current recorded music (highly compressed?). And i remember somebody in a previous post said music without MSG. Even mono recordings from the 60s sound good with PF.

I think the AKG and FAD will stay in my collection for quite sometime.




Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Hi there lescanadiens,


I think both "The Colour of Spring" & "Laughing Stock" are brilliant albums, albums where Music (with a capital "M") clearly visited and played a key role in the creative process. However, to me, in "Spirit of Eden" Music didn't only visit, but remained there during the whole process — not only is all of the music real, to these ears, but not a single note is wasted—something exceptionally rare—, every note has Music's intended place, so to speak. The appearance of silence in this album is part of Music's real presence, I feel.


As for your PF IXs & K3003s, I can understand perfectly well what you're going through — when I got my PF IXs, I went for months exclusively using them. If you read a few of my posts recently, you'll have noticed the HD800 is my all-time favourite phone, and it has occupied most of my ear-time for the last 3 months (the K3003s, as you may recall, to these ears, are very, very close sonically to the Senns), yet for the last week or so, it's been roughly HD800 > 65% & PF IX > 35%. The PF IX is the one IEM I would not sell under any circumstances unless I desperately needed the money. I might even sell my K3003s one day, but only because I do most of my music listening at home and I have the great HD800s for that; still, for those times when I travel or don't want to be 'tied' to the HD800, V200 & MBP, I just get my K3003 & 4G Touch to use around the house and I'm in sonic bliss. So, my K3003s won't be sold, or at least not in a very, very long time (absolutely remarkable that such small in-ears can produce such sunning SQ).
post #1479 of 4362

 

I love this on the PF-IXnormal_smile%20.gif

 

My one contribution.........................

post #1480 of 4362
Lescanadiens, try if you have not already the Berlioz I posted, made for these!

I agree as well, I have been really enjoying my vintage classical recordings, mind, at the moment I am listening to Ralph Stanley sing bluegrass gospel which is sublime with the PF's !

I have said it before but it is worth repeating, this thread is an oasis on this forum for not only is ego left at the door but I think music is shared and talked about more than the actual products which for me is the greatest compliment one can give to Final Audio!

Edited by ianmedium - 4/28/13 at 11:50am
post #1481 of 4362

Warm glow. Hope you like. Hi-rez, in case you do.

 

 

post #1482 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanadiens View Post

Hi Music_4321,

I happen to find this thread shares some of my favorite music: progressive rock, jazz and Talk Talk also Radiohead.

 

You'd be surprised to know how much prog rock I do not enjoy one bit (eg most music by Yes, ELP, Rush. Dream Theater, etc); it just happens that some of my favourite bands fall under this once much maligned (in Britain) "prog" label. I find most prog rock exceedingly boring, mostly empty, meaningless (lacking substance), self indulgent & often quite pretentious.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanadiens View Post

I also notice PF do not match with many current recorded music (highly compressed?). And i remember somebody in a previous post said music without MSG.

 

I believe that was ianmedium

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZTJMZfyEg

 

I love this on the PF-IXnormal_smile%20.gif

 

My one contribution.........................

 

Very nice!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

Warm glow. Hope you like. Hi-rez, in case you do.

 

 

Awful photo (Click to show)

 

 

Now, stop taking awful pics and go and listen to some music!!

 


(joking aside, I think that may well be my favourite PF IX pic so far)

 

--------------------------------

 

The PF IXs at their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJwNnSYEKU

post #1483 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Lescanadiens, try if you have not already the Berlioz I posted, made for these!

I agree as well, I have been really enjoying my vintage classical recordings, mind, at the moment I am listening to Ralph Stanley sing bluegrass gospel which is sublime with the PF's !

I have said it before but it is worth repeating, this thread is an oasis on this forum for not only is ego left at the door but I think music is shared and talked about more than the actual products which for me is the greatest compliment one can give to Final Audio!
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

 

I love this on the PF-IXnormal_smile%20.gif

 

My one contribution.........................

 

Both are incredible through the IX's.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

The PF IXs at their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJwNnSYEKU

 

 

Possibly my favourite source material suggestion yet.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Now, stop taking awful pics and go and listen to some music!!

 

 

As per above, my musical tastes are not as nearly evolved as many of those here. So my contributions might be weighted towards the visual sort.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

(joking aside, I think that may well be my favourite PF IX pic so far)

 

--------------------------------

 

Camouflaged so well, I almost missed it. Surely by chance...

post #1484 of 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

... I have been really enjoying my vintage classical recordings, mind, at the moment I am listening to Ralph Stanley sing bluegrass gospel which is sublime with the PF's !

 

Speaking of "vintage" (non-classical) recordings, this one, musically one of the greatest 'pop' songs ever written, sounds phenomenal on the PF IXs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

...Surely by chance...

 

    ;)

post #1485 of 4362

While the PF IXs do a fine job, this one, I feel, really is a job for the FI-BA-SS / FI-BA-SB (or K3003 / HD800). Grab it while you can (if you must) for the link will only be available for a few hours: https://www.hidrive.strato.com/lnk/tmYqNVQc

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread