Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 95

post #1411 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

You know, I think the PF's are the most sensitive to minor volume changes ear or headphones I have ever owned.
To low and the music loses life and energy, to high and it becomes brittle and uninvolving but just right and it is heaven.

I think it must be something to do with the horn loading, I have experienced this with horn speakers, find the sweet spot and magic ensues.

 

I tend to agree. Now that you mention it, I realize I pretty much keep the volume at nearly the same level each time I listen.

post #1412 of 4598

The PF IX, 1601SS, FI-BA-SS (as well as the TG! 334, ES3X, UM3X, W3 & SE530) are extremely sensitive IEMs. This is great if you own a European Union (volume-capped) DAP and you listen to classical music, plenty of which isn't very loud in the first place (the intro to Mozart's Requiem [Karl Bohm version] being a perfect example of this). If you own a non-EU DAP, like I do, owning such sensitive IEMs isn't always great because things get too loud fairly easily, specially late at night when I tend to listen at fairly low volume levels.

Since I do most of my music listening at home and I now have the V200 amp, using my very sensitive IEMs is never an issue anymore as the V200 has six gain settings, which is fairly unusual for an amp. Without the amp I've always preferred less sensitive IEMs like the K3003, EX1000, MDR-7550, W4, TF10 & CKM99 (with my non-EU DAPs).

------------------

On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s (unless his excuse was that the latter was more expensive and he wasn't prepared to spend that much). I hope he never gets a proper fit with his FI-BA-SS

2) No-one commenting on the PF IX photo I posted, not a single "Great/awesome/cool pic, Music!" — all I got was spkrs01 simply saying "Love your amp!!!". Very sad.

3) Ian enjoying the Amplifier track I posted a few days ago, but not getting the whole album (my only consolation being that woodcans did get the album and seems to enjoy it).

 

-------------------

Here's a great track where the PF IXs do a mighty fine job (none of my other phones, including the HD800s manage to extract quite as much music from it as the PFs (great vocal delivery, btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJhPAsInOR0


Edited by music_4321 - 4/26/13 at 6:53am
post #1413 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post



Awsome cool pic music biggrin.gif
Seriously, love it!

And I am sorry about the amplifier track, what can I say, I am a one metal album man basshead.gif
Now, if it was early music sung in a vault in an ancient church or some esoteric bluegrass gospel then I'm your man!

Edited by ianmedium - 4/26/13 at 7:05am
post #1414 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

 

That is a very cool photo indeed.  

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s (unless his excuse was that the latter was more expensive and he wasn't prepared to spend that much). I hope he never gets a proper fit with his FI-BA-SS

2) No-one commenting on the PF IX photo I posted, not a single "Great/awesome/cool pic, Music!" — all I got was spkrs01 simply saying "Love your amp!!!". Very sad.

3) Ian enjoying the Amplifier track I posted a few days ago, but not getting the whole album (my only consolation being that woodcans did get the album and seems to enjoy it).

 

-------------------

Here's a great track where the PF IXs do a mighty fine job (none of my other phones, including the HD800s manage to extract quite as much music from it as the PFs (great vocal delivery, btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJhPAsInOR0

 

1. The FI-BA-SS were on sale - and I still could barely afford them, so I jumped. Besides, you can't fault me for wanting a little yang with my ying. Now if someone would just buy my ie800's, some funds would free up...

 

2. See above.

 

3. Are their later albums just as good?

post #1415 of 4598

Here is what has upset me in the last 2 hours: One of my co-workers just referred to my PF-IX's as 'earbuds'.  Ha!

post #1416 of 4598
Quote:


On a separate note, three things that have upset me quite a bit in the last 30 hrs:

1) Learn that woodcans got the FI-BA-SS and not the K3003s (unless his excuse was that the latter was more expensive and he wasn't prepared to spend that much). I hope he never gets a proper fit with his FI-BA-SS

2) No-one commenting on the PF IX photo I posted, not a single "Great/awesome/cool pic, Music!" — all I got was spkrs01 simply saying "Love your amp!!!". Very sad.

3) Ian enjoying the Amplifier track I posted a few days ago, but not getting the whole album (my only consolation being that woodcans did get the album and seems to enjoy it).

 

 

 

Blame Woodcans and his stunnertongue_smile.gif

post #1417 of 4598

Interestingly enough, the Piano Forte IIs are earbuds.

 

With that said, I'm going to go against the grain here for a moment and talk about some FAD earphones that aren't Piano Fortes. Namely the Heaven series. As much as I enjoy their dynamic driver creations, the area where FAD most impresses me is in their implementation of single balanced armatures. It stands out for me because BAs are practically synonymous now with multiplicity (and if recent trends are any indication, dynamic drivers are following suit).

 

I've stated before that I felt FAD were masters of fine-tuning the sound of their earphones. The oft mentioned Piano Fortes are the primary example here. What those who criticize the PFs as an example of peddling bad engineering at exorbitant prices don't seem to grasp is the amount of effort FAD has invested in purposefully tuning them to sound that way. I don't think FAD has delusions that these earphones are for everyone; that's why they manufacture an entire range of products, after all. Simply put the Piano Fortes are a statement resulting from attempts to realize a personal vision. That's why I emphatically insist they're not for everyone, a factor that lies at the very core of what they are. In some ways I think the Piano Fortes are the most "personal" earphones ever conceived thus far.

 

So there I was saying I wasn't going to talk about the Piano Fortes, and I just spent the last paragraph doing just that. My point relates back to the Heaven series, however: FAD's ability to tap into deep-seated emotion is fully at work when it comes to their balanced armatures as well, though perhaps in a slightly less obvious way. Utilizing a single driver FAD is able to forge an entire lineup of impressive entries, something which to me suggests a particular kind of resourcefulness. The very things which stand out as the most over-the-top and extravagantly "FAD like" in nature---the unusual shapes of the housings, the luxurious materials, the unique nozzle tips---are ironically those which contribute to this conservative resourcefulness. There's a method to the madness.

 

With that, I must say I really like the direction FAD has taken their Heaven series recently. They possess a level of refinement---both in terms of build quality and sound---not found in their alphabetic predecessors. Really the biggest problem with the Heaven IV for me is its pedestrian nature: it isn't "FAD like" enough for my liking. Fortunately the subsequent release of the Heaven VI goes a long way toward correcting this perceived deficit. It has all the refinement of their new approach, but it also has that FAD charm of their earlier more inconsistent endeavors. I've got the new Heaven V and Heaven V Aging in house now, and it pleases me to say they've knocked it out of the park once again with these. I'll be posting a more detailed account of them on Musica Acoustic's blog at some point in the near future, but so far I have to say in many ways they're FAD's most impressive overall package among the Heaven models. With each new product FAD seems to be refining their approach; in particular their packaging---a weak point for what is essentially a luxury brand---just keeps getting better and better. The Heaven V is vastly improved in that regard.

 

In particular, the Heaven V Aging has floored me. It is without a doubt the most "FAD like" of anything released in quite a while. It's straight up old-style FAD wackiness, only presented in a much more satisfying and complete way. The concept itself is intriguing and speaks to that penchant for unique totality of consumer experience: a product that is meant to age gracefully, developing a patina over time as it becomes a unique expression of your usage. The finish is absolutely gorgeous, one of the nicest I've ever seen on an IEM. Then there's just that head-scratching element I love most present in the form of a swatch of leather resembling a taco, complete with glorified shoe laces to allow you to construct your own crude travel pouch. Unique to the Heaven V Aging, this somewhat curious solution is meant to carry on the theme of aging, apparently, as one breaks in the leather over time.

 

Really, I think FAD took something of a misstep with their Adagio line. Their new found inspiration as apparent in the Heaven V Aging seems to be making up for this however. The Heaven lineup has never been stronger in my humble opinion. Long live FAD and their balanced armature alchemy.

 

(Though if you still want some dynamic lovin', I suggest hunting down one of the sadly overlooked 1350 series. They're like lower-end plastic Piano Fortes, little black pyramids with red flags sticking out of them. Imagine the concert hall from the Piano Forte world, only miniaturized and populated by mischievous faeries intent on dragging you through some interdimensional rift.)

post #1418 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Awsome cool pic music biggrin.gif
Seriously, love it!

 

Too late, I'm still cross.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Now, if it was early music sung in a vault in an ancient church or some esoteric bluegrass gospel then I'm your man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4FeBll6sd0o#!

 

Excellent music!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

That is a very cool photo indeed.  

 

Too late, I'm very cross still. Oh, and I don't like your new avatar.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

1. The FI-BA-SS were on sale - and I still could barely afford them, so I jumped. Besides, you can't fault me for wanting a little yang with my ying. Now if someone would just buy my ie800's, some funds would free up...

 

3. Are their later albums just as good?

 

1-  Not a good enough reason! Ans, as for the sale of our IE800s, it'll prove pretty difficult as I've just discovered a few official, indisputable facts about this Senn flagship IEM:

The good

-- The leather case is great
-- The packaging is great
-- The photos look great
-- The model number is great
--  Made in Germany is always cool
-- Sennheiser sounds cool when pronounced properly
-- The fact the IE800s are kinda hard to get in many places/countries is pretty cool

-- Each set having its own serial number is extraordinarily cool

The bad

-- The bass sucks
-- The mids suck
-- The treble sucks
-- The cable sucks
-- The proprietary expensive tips suck big time
-- The fit sucks
-- The price sucks


3 - The only one I've really enjoyed is their debut album, and being 2 CDs it's remarkable that a good 80% of the music is pretty solid, with almost no filler material.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

Here is what has upset me in the last 2 hours: One of my co-workers just referred to my PF-IX's as 'earbuds'.  Ha!

 

I think they're not earbuds (canal phones) or IEMs, either, but a combination of both. Certainly isolation is more like an earbud, ie practically non-existent.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Blame Woodcans and his stunnertongue_smile.gif

 

I know! All the more reason to be upset!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

What those who criticize the PFs as an example of peddling bad engineering at exorbitant prices don't seem to grasp is the amount of effort FAD has invested in purposefully tuning them to sound that way. I don't think FAD has delusions that these earphones are for everyone; that's why they manufacture an entire range of products, after all.

 

Very well put.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

I've got the new Heaven V and Heaven V Aging in house now, and it pleases me to say they've knocked it out of the park once again with these. ... so far I have to say in many ways they're FAD's most impressive overall package among the Heaven models. With each new product FAD seems to be refining their approach; in particular their packaging---a weak point for what is essentially a luxury brand---just keeps getting better and better. The Heaven V is vastly improved in that regard.

 

In particular, the Heaven V Aging has floored me. It is without a doubt the most "FAD like" of anything released in quite a while. It's straight up old-style FAD wackiness, only presented in a much more satisfying and complete way. The concept itself is intriguing and speaks to that penchant for unique totality of consumer experience: a product that is meant to age gracefully, developing a patina over time as it becomes a unique expression of your usage. The finish is absolutely gorgeous, one of the nicest I've ever seen on an IEM. Then there's just that head-scratching element I love most present in the form of a swatch of leather resembling a taco, complete with glorified shoe laces to allow you to construct your own crude travel pouch. Unique to the Heaven V Aging, this somewhat curious solution is meant to carry on the theme of aging, apparently, as one breaks in the leather over time.

 

Watch what you say, MF — next thing you know there'll be a whole bunch of sets of FI-BA-SS in the classifieds selling for ~$200. I foresee a whole series of Heaven V Aging owners in the not so distant future after your post above. Let's hope the hype that will likely ensue does not get a bit out of hand.


Edited by music_4321 - 4/26/13 at 2:42pm
post #1419 of 4598

Replies in bold.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Too late, I'm still cross.

 

You might be my favourite HF post-er ever.

 

Too late, I'm very cross still. Oh, and I don't like your new avatar.

 

You are no longer my favourite HF post-er. And yes, you do like it.

 

1-  Not a good enough reason! Ans, as for the sale of our IE800s, it'll prove pretty difficult as I've just discovered a few official, indisputable facts about this Senn flagship IEM:

The good

-- The leather case is great
-- The packaging is great
-- The photos look great
-- The model number is great
--  Made in Germany is always cool
-- Sennheiser sounds cool when pronounced properly
-- The fact the IE800s are kinda hard to get in many places/countries is pretty cool

-- Each set having its own serial number is extraordinarily cool

The bad

-- The bass sucks
-- The mids suck
-- The treble sucks
-- The cable sucks
-- The proprietary expensive tips suck big time
-- The fit sucks
-- The price sucks

 

You are no salesman, either. But I do think you are being (a little more than) a bit harsh. I thoroughly enjoyed my pair. Only selling since I have become FADed.


3 - The only one I've really enjoyed is their debut album, and being 2 CDs it's remarkable that a good 80% of the music is pretty solid, with almost no filler material.

 

Thank you.

 

I think they're not earbuds (canal phones) or IEMs, either, but a combination of both. Certainly isolation is more like an earbud, ie practically non-existent.

 

To me, the term 'earbuds' is synomous with 'Apple's ipod earbuds'.

 

 

I know! All the more reason to be upset!

 

Would you rather I had not shared them?

 

Watch what you say, MF — next thing you know there'll be a whole bunch of sets of FI-BA-SS in the classifieds selling for ~$200. I foresee a whole series of Heaven V Aging owners in the not so distant future after your post above. Let's hope the hype that will likely ensue does not get a bit out of hand.

 

Agreed.


Edited by woodcans - 4/26/13 at 2:53pm
post #1420 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Cheers my friend. 

 

You are quite correct. Many thanks!

post #1421 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

You are no salesman, either. But I do think you are being (a little more than) a bit harsh. I thoroughly enjoyed my [IE800] pair. Only selling since I have become FADed.

 

I said "I've just discovered a few official, indisputable facts…"

I don't personally agree with some of those "indisputable facts" I mentioned above — I think the IE800s, on the whole, are an excellent sounding phone. I just haven't posted much in both IE800 threads.

post #1422 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

I said "I've just discovered a few official, indisputable facts…"

I don't personally agree with some of those "indisputable facts" I mentioned above — I think the IE800s, on the whole, are an excellent sounding phone. I just haven't posted much in both IE800 threads.

 

 

You certainly have a way with words, which is why you used to be my favourite HF post-er. I should have suspected as much (that you wouldn't agree with such 'indisputable' facts), coming from you.

post #1423 of 4598

Replies in bold.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

I've just discovered a few official, indisputable facts about this Senn flagship IEM:


The good

-- The leather case is great
-- The packaging is great
-- The photos look great
-- The model number is great
--  Made in Germany is always cool
-- Sennheiser sounds cool when pronounced properly
-- The fact the IE800s are kinda hard to get in many places/countries is pretty cool

-- Each set having its own serial number is extraordinarily cool

The bad

-- The bass sucks
-- The mids suck
-- The treble sucks
-- The cable sucks
-- The proprietary expensive tips suck big time
-- The fit sucks
-- The price sucks

 

Excellent review, but please stop hyping the leather case. It's actually not that great.

 

 

Too late, I'm still cross.

Too late, I'm very cross still. Oh, and I don't like your new avatar.

 

I know! All the more reason to be upset!

 

Let's face it, the pic was mediocre. Hope you can sell your IE800 to fund a decent cam.

 

Warning: for mods only! (Click to show)

wink.gif

post #1424 of 4598

I titled this photo 'Splendor'. Usual disclaimer: no photoshop, no edit. (Actually, one edit: if you click on it to make it bigger, it looks better).

 

 


Edited by woodcans - 4/26/13 at 4:25pm
post #1425 of 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post


Watch what you say, MF — next thing you know there'll be a whole bunch of sets of FI-BA-SS in the classifieds selling for ~$200.

Excuse me while I cross my fingers and toes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread