Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 92

post #1366 of 4303

^^  My FitEar 334, Head-Fi's favourite TOTL universal IEM, was sold last Saturday. My Senn IE800 is up for sale. My FI-BA-SS… is not… at least not for a while. Like I said a few weeks ago, after years of finding full-sized phones pretty uncomfortable, three months ago I finally found a very comfortable and great-sounding phone in the form of the Senn HD800.

But the truth is that for my sonic needs the K3003 & PF IX are really (more than) enough, yet I cannot bring myself to put my FI-BA-SS up for sale—a huge luxury for someone who does practically all his music listening at home. So, my latest excuse—the one I keep telling myself—is that it's the most isolating of my three favourite IEMs.

If I sell my FI-BA-SS eventually, then I'd most likely keep the FI-BA-SB I'm currently selling because the latter is very close sonically to the former (and isolates pretty well, too), more so than most people would know or care to admit. I even prefer the sonics of the FI-BA-SB over another growing Head-Fi favourite, the FitEar F111 (inspired by, and possibly slightly besting even, the one and only, the very revered & king of FR graphs, the ER-4S). It was actually the terribly overlooked FI-BA-SB that soon led to my FI-BA-SS purchase, a purchase I'd have never dreamed of making when only 6 months previously I'd spent £1,000 ($1,550) on the K3003.

 

Of course, if I sell my FI-BA-SB first, then I guess I'd really have the perfect excuse to keep my FI-BA-SS.


Edited by music_4321 - 4/23/13 at 6:07pm
post #1367 of 4303
"I'd most likely keep the FI-BA-SB I'm currently selling because the latter is very close sonically to the former (and isolates pretty well, too), more so than most people would know or care to admit."

Interesting... As someone who is currently trying to find some way of getting his grubby mitts on the FIBASS (short of turning tricks on the corner), this certainly appeals to my more frugal sensibilities. That or this is some clever ploy to sell off that FIBASB (I kid wink.gif )
post #1368 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Interesting... As someone who is currently trying to find some way of getting his grubby mitts on the FIBASS

 

 

Have you checked with Dimitri at Musica Acoustics? Highly recommended.

post #1369 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

...That or this is some clever ploy to sell off that FIBASB (I kid wink.gif )

 

Clearly the latter, but I was hoping no-one would notice.

post #1370 of 4303
post #1371 of 4303

^^  Don't know how much you've researched other TOTL universal IEMs (apart from the FI-BA-SS & K3003), but here's a word of warning: If you're the sort of person who tends to abuse their IEMs a bit, the FI-BA-SS & K3003 might not prove to be the best choice for you, specially considering the pretty steep price of these products, as both come with fixed cables — at least you get a 2-year warranty with the AKGs (one year with the FAD, but bear in mind it has to be sent back to Japan). Also, the FAD does not seem to have proper strain reliefs at the housings, so perhaps a bit of extra care is needed with it. This issue is more relevant if you're trading your HD800s for a used pair of these IEMs.

If that's a concern, then perhaps you should consider/read up on the FitEar TG 334 and/or the Tralucent 1plus2 (I haven't heard the latter but it seems to have attracted quite a bit of attention recently [last couple of months]), though, as always, there are other issues with these IEMs you should also consider (sonics, ergonomics, QC, etc.), particularly with the latter (from what I've gathered). If you have any questions about those IEMs, perhaps best to ask directly in the 334 & 1p2 dedicated threads so we can keep this thread on topic (FAD-related content).

One last thing, there is one member who posts in this thread who owns all of the above IEMs, as well as the HD800 and other high-end gear. There's yet another member who owns the FI-BA-SS, K3003 and had a 334 loaner for a few days. Both of these Head-fiers are quite experienced, they are not members of the trade or shills, and are not easily given to hype, BS, exaggeration or misinformation. (of course they both have their own preferences).


Edited by music_4321 - 4/24/13 at 3:30am
post #1372 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

^^  Don't know how much you've researched other TOTL universal IEMs (apart from the FI-BA-SS & K3003), but here's a word of warning: If you're the sort of person who tends to abuse their IEMs a bit, the FI-BA-SS & K3003 might not prove to be the best choice for you, specially considering the pretty steep price of these products, as both come with fixed cables — at least you get a 2-year warranty with the AKGs (one year with the FAD, but bear in mind it has to be sent back to Japan). Also, the FAD does not seem to have proper strain reliefs at the housings, so perhaps a bit of extra care is needed with it. This issue is more relevant if you're trading your HD800s for a used pair of these IEMs.

If that's a concern, then perhaps you should consider/read up on the FitEar TG 334 and/or the Tralucent 1plus2 (I haven't heard the latter but it seems to have attracted quite a bit of attention recently [last couple of months]), though, as always, there are other issues with these IEMs you should also consider (sonics, ergonomics, QC, etc.), particularly with the latter (from what I've gathered). If you have any questions about those IEMs, perhaps best to ask directly in the 334 & 1p2 dedicated threads so we can keep this thread on topic (FAD-related content).

One last thing, there is one member who posts in this thread who owns all of the above IEMs, as well as the HD800 and other high-end gear. There's yet another member who owns the FI-BA-SS, K3003 and had a 334 loaner for a few days. Both of these Head-fiers are quite experienced, they are not members of the trade or shills, and are not easily given to hype, BS, exaggeration or misinformation. (of course they both have their own preferences).

 

The two mentioned in my classified should be the most suitable for me, at least from what I've searched/discussed so far (aware if the other two you mention, of course)... Or do you have any better recommendation for a very neutral, HD800-like IEM with great soundstaging?

post #1373 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

The two mentioned in my classified should be the most suitable for me, at least from what I've searched/discussed so far (aware if the other two you mention, of course)... Or do you have any better recommendation for a very neutral, HD800-like IEM with great soundstaging?

 

No, I don't. The best phone I've heard after the HD800s is the K3003. (my own personal next favourite is the FAD Piano Forte IX, but that's one IEM I'd not recommend to you or to most people — and it sounds nothing like the HD800, K3003 or FI-BA-SS).


Edited by music_4321 - 4/24/13 at 3:42am
post #1374 of 4303

I'm a bit surprised to hear you like the 3003 over the SS? Again, I have not heard the 3003, so I can't judge, but only read accounts. 

 

In a direct A/B with the SS and the HD800, do you feel the HD800 clearly superior? I would be surprised if you said yes. I liked the TH900 better than the HD800 in direct comparison. And i think my SS does some things better than the TH900. They are totally different phones, yet at the same playing field IMO. 

post #1375 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post
 

 

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised to hear you like the 3003 over the SS?

 

I do, a clear choice for me. BUT, I do love the FI-BA-SS as noted several times.

 

If I could keep just two IEMs, it'd be the K3003 & PF IX.

If I could keep just one, it'd be the K3003.

If the K3003 did not exist or I couldn't afford it, and could just have one IEM, I'd take the FI-BA-SS.

 

Quote:
Again, I have not heard the 3003, so I can't judge, but only read accounts.

 

Unfortunately, the 'history' of the K3003 is plagued by events most people are unaware of, events I won't discuss here because it's not the right place to do so. Some of the not so favourable—or downright awful—things you may have read about this IEM are the product of something more than people simply not liking/enjoying this IEM  — if that had really been the case, I would not have any issues with that, just like I don't if someone doesn't like the HD800, FI-BA-SS or PF IX). I suggest that if you get a chance to audition the K3003, you try and forget what you've read (even the very good stuff) and really let your ears be the judge, try all three filters and preferably do so in a quiet environment (these require a shallow-ish fit, btw).

 

Quote:
In a direct A/B with the SS and the HD800, do you feel the HD800 clearly superior? I would be surprised if you said yes.


Yes, not massively so, but clearly so.

 

Quote:
I liked the TH900 better than the HD800 in direct comparison. They are totally different phones, yet at the same playing field IMO.


Never heard the TH900, but I'd love to one day, though I'd be more interested to try the SR-009 if given a choice between the two.

post #1376 of 4303

Oh yes, the 009 would be your dream headphone me thinks. Thanks for your input. I really want to pick up an HD800 to spend time with that is not in meet environments. 

post #1377 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Oh yes, the 009 would be your dream headphone me thinks. Thanks for your input. I really want to pick up an HD800 K3003 to spend time with that is not in meet environments. 

 

   :)

post #1378 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post



Unfortunately, the 'history' of the K3003 is plagued by events most people are unaware of, events I won't discuss here because it's not the right place to do so. Some of the not so favourable—or downright awful—things you may have read about this IEM are the product of something more than people simply not liking/enjoying this IEM  — if that had really been the case...

I'm sorry to see you are still spouting things that are just plain false. People didn't like the k3003 because they didn't like the way it sounds. Going off into conspiracy theories and personal attacks didn't get you anywhere you wanted to go in the past.

Just accept that some people didn't like how the k3003 sounds as much as you do. That's all there is to it.
post #1379 of 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

I quit listening to my Final Audio stuff because I wanted to make sure this was the real deal, and not a novelty. Sometimes I need to take breaks from certain sounds/earphones and come back and evaluate all over again. 

This time around, I don't know which I like better, the FI-BA-SS or the PF's. These FI-BA-SS are worth every damn last penny. People talk about them being expensive, and yeah, they are, and they aren't massive gains better than other stuff of course - but there is nothing on Earth quite like these little devils. Just like the PF's. They are both so different and yet so special at what they do. 


I have the SS hooked up to my Liquid Glass which can easily drive the HE-6. While I have about 4mm of travel on the pot, it sounds so damn clear. It is the clearest, cleanest sounding thing I have. Makes the transparency of the Sig Pro sound thick and jammed up. Even the TH900 can't touch it. Once you get used to them, they are a marvel. Completely addicting. I mean completely addicting. 

Soundfreaq, I'd like you to know I spent extra time with the fi-ba-ss at the NY audio meet in your honor. Thanks to Dimitri, I listened quite a bit to it and spent a little time with the tralucent 1plus2 (which I will hear much more of later) and the FAD piano forte X (I think it was), plus a bit of a Rhapsodio hybrid.

I can see how you enjoy it.
post #1380 of 4303
Way off topic. (Click to show)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


I'm sorry to see you are still spouting things that are just plain false. People didn't like the k3003 because they didn't like the way it sounds. Going off into conspiracy theories and personal attacks didn't get you anywhere you wanted to go in the past.

Just accept that some people didn't like how the k3003 sounds as much as you do. That's all there is to it.

 

 

I love a great conspiracy theory and a great rebuttal. If you two could start a new thread based upon these theories/facts/etc., I will subscribe.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread