Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 88

post #1306 of 4301
That episode was brilliant.
post #1307 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

That episode was brilliant.

My favourite was the builder episode which coincidentally was Cleese's least favourite.
post #1308 of 4301

This is still my favorite thread on HF. Been lurking a bit more lately, been very busy with work, and Cavalli Audio. 

 

If there's one thing the FAD journey has taught me, it's that this hobby should first and foremost be about finding the strongest emotional connection to music. That doesn't necessarily mean the most perfect headphone on earth. Thats why for many, the PF's are end-game, not 009 or HD800, or LCD...

 

Going back and listening to the PF's and FI-BA-SS after taking a month off was a revelation all over again. There's nothing I have that sounds quite like it. Obviously they are not perfect, but what they do, they do astonishingly well. And it's those imperfections that make them a piece of artistic beauty. As MF said, the PF's are the Yin to the FI-BA-SS Yang - and I could not do without the other. 

 

Someone in this thread, I forget who, said that FAD brings the poet out in you. I think that brand can be surmised well by that comment. And with it relaying to music... that's just incredible. FA's Design's are masters of musical enjoyment at the risk of being shrugged off as imperfect. But what a treat for those that can embrace the imperfection, and get past the horrendous measuring. When measuring is what dictates your enjoyment in a headphone, you have truly lost sight of it all. 


Edited by SoundFreaq - 4/17/13 at 10:52am
post #1309 of 4301

Excellent post SoundFreaq. And having gone through some very hi-fi and several very expensive headphones over the years I agree wholeheartedly.

 

I just paired my PFIX's with the Corda 2Stepdance. The combo sounds great and putting the Corda in the mix has really balanced out the sound. There is significantly more bass presence and some previously perceived dips in the frequency response are no longer present.

post #1310 of 4301
Hey folks, just saw on Musica's FB page that they have a meet in Babylon NY on the 20th of April, here are the details
https://www.facebook.com/events/169167463242376/

Also Dimitri mentioned some discounts to be had at the meet!
"Musica will be featuring Show-time specials for PFX, PFIX, New Heaven V, Heaven VI, and many more items. Dear headfier will receie Discounts and receive gifts as well.
We are also looking for reviewers to write for us on our Blog, just like you did. We will be looking for reviewers for Ortofon new MHD-Q7 portable analog amp and many more."

As per usual, normal disclaimer, no connection with Musica other than satisfied customer!
post #1311 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

This is still my favorite thread on HF. Been lurking a bit more lately, been very busy with work, and Cavalli Audio. 

If there's one thing the FAD journey has taught me, it's that this hobby should first and foremost be about finding the strongest emotional connection to music. That doesn't necessarily mean the most perfect headphone on earth. Thats why for many, the PF's are end-game, not 009 or HD800, or LCD...

Going back and listening to the PF's and FI-BA-SS after taking a month off was a revelation all over again. There's nothing I have that sounds quite like it. Obviously they are not perfect, but what they do, they do astonishingly well. And it's those imperfections that make them a piece of artistic beauty. As MF said, the PF's are the Yin to the FI-BA-SS Yang - and I could not do without the other. 

Someone in this thread, I forget who, said that FAD brings the poet out in you. I think that brand can be surmised well by that comment. And with it relaying to music... that's just incredible. FA's Design's are masters of musical enjoyment at the risk of being shrugged off as imperfect. But what a treat for those that can embrace the imperfection, and get past the horrendous measuring. When measuring is what dictates your enjoyment in a headphone, you have truly lost sight of it all. 

nice post. i don't worry about how audio gear measures. the problem I had with the piano forte Vlll and lX is that they sounded off. not natural or "hi fi" but so weird that I thought final audio was having a lend. they're beautiful looking phones to be sure and I didn't have a problem with the insecure fit but that's where the appreciation ends - sorry guys.
post #1312 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post


nice post. i don't worry about how audio gear measures. the problem I had with the piano forte Vlll and lX is that they sounded off. not natural or "hi fi" but so weird that I thought final audio was having a lend. they're beautiful looking phones to be sure and I didn't have a problem with the insecure fit but that's where the appreciation ends - sorry guys.

 

 

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. We're not some exclusive club. The PF's ARE extraordinarily "weird" to some. But what does "weird" mean in this context? Something unfamiliar? Something that goes against the grain of your headphone paradigm? I think that choice of word is very telling. That is what the PF's are - unfamiliar, unconventional. It's almost like an intense experience with powerful psychedelic substances. It's not until you embrace the ethereal, the unfamiliarity, and let go that you reap the largest rewards. Possibly more rewarding than reality. Or maybe, experiencing other planes IS more real than we ever know. There's some theories around that. Wow, sorry for getting weird here. wink.gif

 

I should disclaimer the previous statement with the information that I have read government-funded psychedelic research studies, and does not come necessarily from personal experience. 

 

I guess I'm trying to say that what's weird for one can be really rewarding for the next. And, basically, weird is not something that can be measured. It's not weird - that can't be a term applied here. What it is, is unfamiliar. It doesn't fit your cognitive bias of what headphones should sound like. For some people, that's really great. 


Edited by SoundFreaq - 4/18/13 at 9:57am
post #1313 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

 

 

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. We're not some exclusive club...

 

We are.

post #1314 of 4301

Ha! yeah I know, you're totally right. Just trying to make the chap feel better and make us seem less pretentious. tongue.gif

post #1315 of 4301

AaJ74nm.jpg

 

Impedance is indeed 16 ohms so that should be a nice match for ASP TU-05 from Shikada-san

 

http://blog.livedoor.jp/yua227/archives/25991594.html

post #1316 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

Ha! yeah I know, you're totally right. Just trying to make the chap feel better and make us seem less pretentious. tongue.gif

thanks man. wink.gif weird in this case means muddy, unbalanced, altered but not in a good way.
post #1317 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

AaJ74nm.jpg

 

Impedance is indeed 16 ohms so that should be a nice match for ASP TU-05 from Shikada-san

 

http://blog.livedoor.jp/yua227/archives/25991594.html

 

The Pandra IV looks like the Sennheiser Momentum?

post #1318 of 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post


thanks man. wink.gif weird in this case means muddy, unbalanced, altered but not in a good way.

 

 

My first impressions fall under this description. However, following more extending listening I would say that muddy and altered are way off base. Unbalanced...maybe, but not in a bad way. Especially after adding the 2stepdance in the mix.

post #1319 of 4301
well that's how i heard them. you like the sound, I'm not a fan - we're cool with that right?
post #1320 of 4301

Certainly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread