Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread - Page 39

post #571 of 3933
Just got a message back from the amp company, the amp is fine for these phones. So, some saving now has to take place, watch this space.. biggrin.gif
post #572 of 3933

popcorn.gif

post #573 of 3933

I really enjoy reading about your enjoyment over the Piano Forte IX's.  I recently got hooked into a review by LFF concerning new CIEM's named Frogbeats C4.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629467/review-the-frogbeats-c4-an-explosively-good-custom-in-ear-monitor-seriously

 

It has taken my focus completely away from the FAD's.

 

What advice would you two give someone considering very neutral CIEM's versus these FAD's.  They are similarly priced.

 

On one side, I would like the experience of the 'horn' signature.  On the other side, very neutral is also quite appealing.

 

If you only had to choose one?  I will pair these with a Tera-Player (NOS DAC) that will be arriving this month, so I cannot sample at the local audio store yet.

 

If I go the FAD Piano Forte route, I will be going off the beaten path of CIEM's so interested in the differences.


Edited by Tera-Fi - 11/1/12 at 9:41am
post #574 of 3933

Tera-Fi, my Westone ES5 are "higher-fi" than the PF IX but I love them both. The PF IX do things that are utterly unique and occasionally quite wrong. They are also a work of art.  However they do not isolate at all, both a strength and a weakness. The ES5, by contrast, are close to perfect but are also a sealed CIEM which is bad for your ears. One or two hours a day should be the most that you indulge BA IEMs that direct drive your tympanic membranes.

 

If I were to get a CIEM today and cost was no obstacle, I would get the Fitear Private 335. However my highest priority is the Piano Forte X-CC. The ES5 are more than good enough in the CIEM genre; they are fabulous. (And the Private 335 are stupid expensive albeit not as stupid expensive as the X-CC.) 

post #575 of 3933
What Paul says. Personally I would have both as one is suitible for noisy enviroments and listening on the move and the other is no good in noisy enviroments and can drop out quite easily.

All I can say other than that is if the sound of the PF's is your cup of tea and if your anything like me you simply will have a hard time listening to anything else. I truly have never owned a headphone that has had such a profound effect on my listening habits as the PF's have!

It feels like I have gone back to the good old days with vinyl where I used to sit and listen to music and do nothing else where as with other stuff I end up doing a multitude of other things and don't really listen to the music such as when on the computer, walking or reading. The PF's give an emotional involvement that beats easily my LCD2's or Stax headphones and I never thought I would see the day I would say that!

Paul nailed it in his first sentence, these are not "HiFi" just as SET tube amps and Horn speakers aren't but then those that "get" what those components are about would not trade them for love nor money for solid state and dynamic speakers! The PF's I feel are the same.
post #576 of 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

What Paul says. Personally I would have both as one is suitible for noisy enviroments and listening on the move and the other is no good in noisy enviroments and can drop out quite easily.
All I can say other than that is if the sound of the PF's is your cup of tea and if your anything like me you simply will have a hard time listening to anything else. I truly have never owned a headphone that has had such a profound effect on my listening habits as the PF's have!
It feels like I have gone back to the good old days with vinyl where I used to sit and listen to music and do nothing else where as with other stuff I end up doing a multitude of other things and don't really listen to the music such as when on the computer, walking or reading. The PF's give an emotional involvement that beats easily my LCD2's or Stax headphones and I never thought I would see the day I would say that!
Paul nailed it in his first sentence, these are not "HiFi" just as SET tube amps and Horn speakers aren't but then those that "get" what those components are about would not trade them for love nor money for solid state and dynamic speakers! The PF's I feel are the same.

 

What he said.  biggrin.gif

post #577 of 3933
biggrin.gif So, when are the X-CC's arriving?? biggrin.gif ... Thank goodness I have metal allergies that prevent me even trying them!
post #578 of 3933

Ian, I just pre-ordered the iPod Mini. I believe that I have created the ultimate Chinese-English eReader environment = I am broke. Give me some time.  :-)

post #579 of 3933

Hey guys!  

 

Hat's off to my Stepdance buddies, Paul and Ian, for all the information you've provided in this thread about the PF IX.  

 

beerchug.gif

 

I'm intoxicated from reading all of it over the past few days.

 

Still in research mode, at the moment, I can only seem to find two online sources for the PF IX, that will deliver to the U.S. - and the price difference is huge:

 

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/final-audio-piano-forte-fi-dc1602ss/      U.S. $1099 

 

http://www.accessoryjack.com/final-audio-design-piano-forte-ix-stainless-steel-fi-dc1602ss-earphone.html    U.S. $1389

 

I've never done business with either of these companies, but AccessoryJack looks kind of shady to me...

 

What would you consider a "good price" to be for the PF IX?    

 

And for Ian:  How did you order it in Canada?

 

Thanks!

 

Mike

post #580 of 3933

Hi Mike, I ordered from Price Japan to China and it was a good experience. Just another option: I have heard many good things about MusicaAcoustics.

 

I spent about $1,100 including shipping. 


Edited by cooperpwc - 11/1/12 at 12:36pm
post #581 of 3933
Hey Mike, great to see you hear mate!

Knowing your tastes I think these would be up your street. I ordered from musica and highly recommend them. I cheated and had them shipped to my friends address in the States and he brought them across for me, at this price level the customs fees are stupid crazy here in Canada, enough to make the purchase make no sense.

As for price, musica is the cheapest I have seen and their shipping costs are reasonable as well. I have seen these go for upwards of $1600 in some instances.

I have purchased both my FAD's from them and they have been fantastic to deal with.

Hope all is well with you, was away from the forum for a while but the PF's dragged me back biggrin.gif
post #582 of 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Tonight for me is this rather lovely piece from Lisa Batiashvili, Sibelius, Lindberg: Violin Concerto's

 

Thanks for the tip, I bought this and like it very much. smile_phones.gif

post #583 of 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Thanks for the tip, I bought this and like it very much. smile_phones.gif

That's wonderful James, I am so glad your enjoying it!
post #584 of 3933

I was lucky enough to try out the SA, S and A for a couple of weeks thanks to Inks, Rin and flysweep and ultimately to James I think because these might be his.  I think these have been around the block or two.  ( I might have the models wrong here, not sure) 

 

I've always wanted to try out the FA's but never took the plunge so this opportunity was appreciated.  

 

I didn't really take notes but I ended up preferring the SA the most because it just threw out the cleanest sound by a small margin.  The S wasn't too far behind.  It was a tad warmer.  I generally prefer a warmer signature but I couldn't decide which one I liked more.  The A was a no go for me.  I thought it sounded like a cheap earphone.  

 

I was quite impressed with the bass on the top two models and the stage.  I am quite sensitive to treble and when I turned up the volume, it bothered me a bit with these earphones.  Not as much as the Sony EX1000's but it was still there.  Usually this is a deal breaker for me.  

 

I'm not much into writing reviews or sharing a whole lot with impressions because I'm still not very good at it but I generally wanted to come here and show my appreciation for allowing me to hear these fine earphones.  

 

beerchug.gif

post #585 of 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Hi Mike, I ordered from Price Japan to China and it was a good experience. Just another option: I have heard many good things about MusicaAcoustics.

 

I spent about $1,100 including shipping. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Hey Mike, great to see you hear mate!
Knowing your tastes I think these would be up your street. I ordered from musica and highly recommend them. I cheated and had them shipped to my friends address in the States and he brought them across for me, at this price level the customs fees are stupid crazy here in Canada, enough to make the purchase make no sense.
As for price, musica is the cheapest I have seen and their shipping costs are reasonable as well. I have seen these go for upwards of $1600 in some instances.
I have purchased both my FAD's from them and they have been fantastic to deal with.
Hope all is well with you, was away from the forum for a while but the PF's dragged me back biggrin.gif

 

Thanks!  It seems that $1100 is the going price, so...  if I take the plunge it will probably be with musica.

 

I trust both of you so much - and for good reason, given our similar gear preferences in the past.  

 

I feel as if I'd be deviating from the narrow path of neutral transparency to purchase the PF IX, but you've made me want to hear it, something fierce - especially with Ian having all but retired his LCD-2.  tongue.gif

 

I'm curious about how they rest in the ear - what holds them in place?    From what I'm reading they don't seem large enough for the flange to grip your ear canal -and- my understanding is that they're not supposed to - that they are just supposed to lie somewhat detached from your ear canal, cradled by your lower ear?  Is that right?   If so, can you walk about with them in your ears?  Do they fall out if you tilt your head?  Must you keep your head and neck perfectly vertical?

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread