Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread - Page 261

post #3901 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

What do you mean by euphoric. Would you say the V1 is transparent?


http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Euphonic - An appealing form of distortion that generally enhances perceived fidelity, often ascribed to the harmonic elaborations of some valve amps.

 

I wouldn't describe VI as transparent, it's colors the mids too much.

post #3902 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post



I wouldn't describe VI as transparent, it's colors the mids too much.
I don't suppose you have heard the IE8's by any chance?
post #3903 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post


I don't suppose you have heard the IE8's by any chance?

I have IE80, and it's more transparent then Heaven VI

post #3904 of 4114
That really surprises me. I have the IE8's and would not describe them as transparent. I would say the sound is quite thick. Definitely coloured. I was hoping that the V1 would sound more forward and alive.
post #3905 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Euphonic - An appealing form of distortion that generally enhances perceived fidelity, often ascribed to the harmonic elaborations of some valve amps.

 

I wouldn't describe VI as transparent, it's colors the mids too much.

 

I don't personally share your use of the word transparent. You seem to use it as a synonym for neutral.

 

I view transparent as the opposite of veiled. By this definition, the Heaven VI is highly transparent, even though it is not perfectly neutral.

post #3906 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post
 

 

I don't personally share your use of the word transparent. You seem to use it as a synonym for neutral.

 

I view transparent as the opposite of veiled. By this definition, the Heaven VI is highly transparent, even though it is not perfectly neutral.


If you look outside through a clear glass, and then through a colored one - which one would you say is more transparent?

post #3907 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


If you look outside through a clear glass, and then through a colored one - which one would you say is more transparent?

 

I expected this exact analogy in reply. It's valid. We use the word transparent differently for audio. So long as the third party listener understands the usage that is being applied, it's all good.

post #3908 of 4114

I personally view "transparency" as the opposite of "coloring" and "clarity" as the opposite of "veil".

 

But even by that standard, I'd say that to my ears the IE8/80's midbass emphasis results in more coloring than FAD's BAM distortion. Let's not forget that the latter is measured at 100db SPL and will be significantly lower at safe listening volume.

 

Of course, equalizing the IE8/80 might easily turn tables, because they're excellent phones apart from their midbass hump, whereas the FAD's distortion can't be undone by EQ.

post #3909 of 4114

Over the years, my personal definition of transparency has changed somewhat for a number of reasons. I've come to accept a more personal and context sensitive definition of transparency: how readily a piece of gear "gets out of the way" or how readily one can "listen past" a piece of gear. One would naturally assume this means uncolored gear is more transparent---and for many I would assume this is the case---but it's quite possible in my experience for a very uncolored piece of equipment to be distracting in its very lack of coloration. Similarly gear that measures flat often has a somewhat unnatural character that I find distracting.

 

Thus transparency becomes something of a moving target for me. While fixed qualities like linearity in FR and clarity do often overlap, it has more to do with how we're acclimated and the context in which we're listening. This seems like a more naturalistic definition to me since our moods are continually in flux.

post #3910 of 4114

Wow. The discourse of defining transparency is eye opening. Frankly, I haven't relate transparency to neutral. Well, some of the comments make sense since being transparent means not to sound colored.

 

Personally, transparency means it sounds real. I don't know how real is real, since I don't want this to be a philosophical debate. Quote MF: it depends on the mood. But I don't think the opposite spectrum would be neutral, since I instinctively coined neutral with "flat, unengaging" or worse, "boring". Think ER4 series (excellently neutral with some lifts on treble, yet losing the touch of being "real" since I don't feel music would sound like that IRL)

 

FAD Heaven series sounds transparent to me in a way that it hasn't the "veiled" sound (apparent in Senn HD650 to my ears), thus removing the impression of listening to a piece of gear. It's colored and not neutral, with somehow elevated bass and treble to give a "Hi-Fi" feel. However, sometimes I felt it tried too hard on its bass department that it became unnatural as the slam became intentional. And sometimes it sounds rough on rendering treble. Heaven series, while being much more smoother than PF series, still retain some of the "rawness" of the music.

post #3911 of 4114
Does anyone use custom tips with the Heaven V1?
post #3912 of 4114
I have now read this whole thread. I have never done that before on Headfi.
It's felt like reading a novel.
Philosophy, poetry, intrigue and romance!
Fantastically illustrated by some wonderful photography. If Woodcans is not in product photography he should be!
I finally heard the V1's at a show yesterday.
Very good but I am not convinced that they justify the £600 that I was asked for them.
Admittedly it was a fairly brief listen.
Am I missing something?
Edited by krismusic - 3/31/14 at 1:03pm
post #3913 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

I have now read this whole thread. I have never done that before on Headfi.
It's felt like reading a novel.
Philosophy, poetry, intrigue and romance!
Fantastically illustrated by some wonderful photography. If Woodcans is not in product photography he should be!
I finally heard the V1's at a show yesterday.
Very good but I am not convinced that they justify the £600 that I was asked for them.
Admittedly it was a fairly brief listen.
Am I missing something?

 

If you are referring to the Heaven VI:

1) Be sure to try with the B tips (wider opening), and

2) Buy from Price Japan for about $400. £600 is a bit steep...

post #3914 of 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

If you are referring to the Heaven VI:
1) Be sure to try with the B tips (wider opening), and
2) Buy from Price Japan for about $400. £600 is a bit steep...
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the VI. If they are tip dependant maybe custom tips would not be a good idea. I have read that the tips were specifically designed by FAD.
I Would like to buy from hifiheadphones.co.uk as I have had outstanding service from them in the past. I don't earn vast amounts so £600 is a lot of money to me. I do love my music though! I guess once you get to this price point value for money is a bit abstract.
post #3915 of 4114
The trigger has been pulled. Delivery tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread