New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help With IEM Upgrade

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm looking to upgrade my Bose IE earphones. After upgrading my home headphones to DT990 Pros, I think it's time to step up the bar on my portable listening. Basically just looking for a more detailed sounding IEM. The thing I am NOT willing to sacrifice from my Bose earphones is the bass. Even more would be great. I don't really want to spend upwards of $150.

 

A couple that I've come across are:

Shure SE215

Ultimate Ears 500

 

The one thing that's quite important is fit. I can never get the bud type earbuds like the Ultimate Ears to fit in my ears. My Mom has a pair of Monster Miles Davis Tribute earbuds and they can't stay in for the life of me. That's the main reason I went with the Bose IE earbuds, they fit in my ears beautifully. The SE215s look like they'd stay a bit better as the drivers seem to sit in your ear if I'm not mistaken.

 

Any other suggestions would be great.

post #2 of 12

The first thing that comes to mind for a over ear style earphone at that price range.. Vsonic GR07

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post

The first thing that comes to mind for a over ear style earphone at that price range.. Vsonic GR07

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I can only find the GR07 for $200 which is pretty steep. I don't want to hit my $150 limit unless I absolutely have to. Those are nice though.

post #4 of 12

Try Vsonic R04 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-R04pro-Updated-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/290567694646

 

JVC FXT90.

 

 

both very good performers at respective price points.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Try Vsonic R04 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-R04pro-Updated-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/290567694646

 

JVC FXT90.

 

 

both very good performers at respective price points.

Both seem good, but would something at a $50 price point be considered an upgrade? If that's the case, I'd go with the Vsonic GR06 which would probably fit better than the R04s.

post #6 of 12

Well, I think you should go for the FXT90, and buy some extra tips that fit it, then you can compare it to the Miles Davis Tribute.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I can only find the GR07 for $200 which is pretty steep. I don't want to hit my $150 limit unless I absolutely have to. Those are nice though.

lendmeurears.com, $157

post #8 of 12

Never heard the Bose, but what did you make of the Tributes? 

 

None of the ones that have been brought up will give you the amount of bass the Tributes have. 

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Well, I think you should go for the FXT90, and buy some extra tips that fit it, then you can compare it to the Miles Davis Tribute.

I'll have to do some looking around for tips. The only ones that fit decently on earbuds for me are the double/triple flanged tips or really foamy ones that I can squish before putting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emospence View Post

lendmeurears.com, $157

http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=109 $200 o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc View Post

Never heard the Bose, but what did you make of the Tributes? 

 

None of the ones that have been brought up will give you the amount of bass the Tributes have. 

Hmm, I never actually listened to the Tributes extensively. I just thought that since they were a "jazz" type headphone they'd be focused on the highs and mids. I'll give them a listen for a day or two and if I like them maybe I can do a little swap ;)

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

Hmm, I never actually listened to the Tributes extensively. I just thought that since they were a "jazz" type headphone they'd be focused on the highs and mids. I'll give them a listen for a day or two and if I like them maybe I can do a little swap ;)

 

Make sure you get a good seal. I know you said they don't stay in for too long- is it the housing that is too big or just the tips that need to be changed to a different size?

 

And btw, we refer to earphones such as the Tributes, SE215, UE500 etc as IEMs (in-ear monitors) since they have a nozzle that goes into your ear canals unlike earbud type earphones. 

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc View Post

 

Make sure you get a good seal. I know you said they don't stay in for too long- is it the housing that is too big or just the tips that need to be changed to a different size?

 

And btw, we refer to earphones such as the Tributes, SE215, UE500 etc as IEMs (in-ear monitors) since they have a nozzle that goes into your ear canals unlike earbud type earphones. 

Tried them out and the only tip that fit decently in the triple fanged one. Took me about 5 seconds to realize that the SQ and bass is nowhere near to that of my Bose earbuds. I think it's a combination of the tips, which the triple flanged are the only ones that fit but aren't so comfy, and the weight/size of the housing. 

 

Ah, good to know. The most are sort of a combination of both. Fit like an earbud but go into the canal a bit. They fit me perfectly. Not much else out there that fits like them though :(

ecouteurs-bose-ie2.jpg

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

 

http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=109 $200 o.o

 

That's SGD bro!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: