Im planning on purchasing an IEM, however, I plan to use it while working out. Sennheiser makes a sweat proof one, but is that really necessary? If I use one thats not water or sweat proof, is there a risk that it will stop working?
Related Forum Threads
- Long lasting, Great sounding in-ear earphones under $60 (Australian) Last post on 8/24/12 at 1:59am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ~$30 IEMs for the gym that come with good tips shipped to Canada? Last post on 7/25/12 at 1:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- NuForce NE-770X vs. MEElectronics M6 review Last post on 7/23/12 at 4:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Meelec M6 Damping Mod Last post on 7/21/12 at 7:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Simple IEM Request... Love my SHE3850's but.... Last post on 7/22/12 at 6:03am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
Is it a bad idea to use an IEM while working out?post #1 of 406/8/12 at 3:08pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 406/8/12 at 3:33pmpost #3 of 406/8/12 at 4:04pmpost #4 of 406/8/12 at 4:10pmpost #5 of 406/8/12 at 4:10pm
Probably in the minority on this, but I'd say yeah, and not only for the IEMs sake Just makes no sense to me to stick something in your ears during vigorous physical activity, and you can't really concentrate on the music anyway.post #6 of 406/8/12 at 4:14pm
I use IEMs to workout all of the time. I don't use my nicest earphones, but I usually stick with my B2 or M4 by brainwavz.
I'm usually more worried about them catching on my elbow, the iem coming out, and me stepping on it while running... that's happened twice. Luckily I was using Skullcandy at the time just for working out.
I've never had an IEM die on me from just sweat.post #7 of 406/8/12 at 8:48pmpost #8 of 406/8/12 at 9:16pm
I've only had earbuds fail on me while working out. IEMs have performed fine for me so far. But then, I've only been using them for just under a year. So far so good.post #9 of 406/8/12 at 11:07pm
I use a Meelectronics M6 with Monster gel tips. The memory wire and wider than normal tips go a long way towards keeping these things in my ears. Good sound for the buck and the only wear I've seen so far is the sweat causing the lettering to fade.
I've be more worried about sweat damaging circumaural headphones or earbuds. With a good seal, there shouldn't be any sweat making it to the drivers on an iem.
Edited by steve2151 - 6/8/12 at 11:11pmpost #10 of 406/8/12 at 11:19pmQuote:
^^ This is the answer right here ^^post #11 of 406/8/12 at 11:21pm
I hate wearing headphones or IEMs to work out... Bone conduction becomes a problem for me :(
@OP: yes, you will always risk damage if any electronics are around any liquids. Sweat and water are the two main ones. There are IEMs that are water resistant and can resist though. Accidents happen when you are moving vigorously. I'd get something you don't mind beating up, cause you will more than likely end up replacing them.
Edited by tinyman392 - 6/8/12 at 11:23pmpost #12 of 406/8/12 at 11:29pm
M6 is where it's at for exercising. I killed 2 E2c, 2 RE0, an IE7 and a CK10 while running. M6 on the other hand has taken as much of a beating as the others but is still ticking.post #13 of 406/9/12 at 7:21ampost #14 of 406/9/12 at 3:32pm
Headphones and working out would damage the headphones because there is not a "seal" so sweat will deteriorate the pads and eventually the diaphram of the drivers.
I do 80% of my portable listening while working out sweating quite profusely up to 45 min and have never had a problem. In fact it's ideal for acrylic customs because the sweat is basically locked out and can't permeate anything. Been using my JH5's like this regularly going on 2 years now with no problems. Did the same with W3's before that. Your ear canals don't sweat so it is not an issue. Besides, musicians sweat a lot under stage lights anyway. Complys can get a bit yucky after 20-30 sweat sessions but as long as you leave them in during the workout, you should never have a problem.
Wear a thick nap headband (I do) to catch sweat if you are worried.
Edited by Spyro - 6/9/12 at 8:43pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it a bad idea to use an IEM while working out?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 1 second ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 16 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 44 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter 3 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Portal and Half Life Movie 7 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...