- 1,046 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Location: Oztralia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 3/12/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
AK120 I feel like there is an epidemic looming over the heads of most Hi-Fi audio music player designers. Most just can't seem to get it right and so few end up with a solid...
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 427post #6391 of 64135/31/13 at 9:29pmSeparate. I shall take a 3.5mm and an iBasso. Already have a hifiman 4 pin XLR to 6.5mm adapter.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6392 of 64135/31/13 at 9:38pmLove both the MD and LCD2. Is that weird? Why must one be chosen over the other?
I think they are quite complimentary, actually.
The MD is the best closed alternative to the LCD2 that I've heard. Is it as good? No, there are tradeoffs, but you're comparing a $300 headphone to a $1000 one.
If you can afford the LCD2 and don't need the excellent isolation of the MD, by all means, the LCD2 is worthwhile, IMHO. If you can't, the MD is an excellent alternative.post #6393 of 64135/31/13 at 9:43pmSeparate as well. Adapters are a pain. That said, mine will be 4 pin XLR for the HIFI-M8 whenever it ships, I already have a 4 pin to hirose. Or Maybe 3 cables? SE, Hirose, 4 pin XLR?
I have one of Dan's earlier balanced prototypes with a different cable and connector. Dan graciously set me up as a beta tester a month or a bit more ago. I have been using the Ibasso PB2/DB2 combo. With this dac/amp set, balanced vs. unbalanced is a bit clearer, faster, tighter bass, a bit more articulate. Small differences, but noticeable and nice.post #6394 of 64135/31/13 at 10:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by wolfetan44
I don't know what to do!! So its either buy some Mad Dogs or wait a while for HD800's. Would you describe the Mad Dogs as fun in anyway? I'm looking for a fun can to tack onto the HD650's and the DT880's. Also, to anyone wondering why I was thinking the HD800's for a fun can, I wasn't, I was just thinking of them as to stop the Head-Fi addiction. But I don't think I want to do that just yet
Also, to MrSpeakers, remember when I said I'd buy them later this year as I needed money when I returned them? Well here I am
Did no one see my question other than Dan?post #6395 of 64135/31/13 at 10:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by mrspeakers
It's more forward in some ways, very detailed and very clean, more than I've heard them attain before. I don't want to over-gush, etc, but the cable is part of the difference. I hear some of the improvement when I switch to a SE adaptor and plug into my regular amps, but not all of it.
It feels like there's a bit more dark space, and the attack and transients are a bit faster with the same phone and cable but balanced vs single ended. It also feels like there is more energy behind the mids, they just project more clearly. Mind you, I'm comparing a very limited set of amps that do have different qualities, so I want to be cautious about generalizing this to balanced vs single-ended discussion.
Certainly I can say I have really enjoyed the Schiit stack, the iBasso DB2 adn PB2 stack, and the marvelously small Ray Samuels Intruder.
The cable is more microphonic than the stock cable, a bit more like my Audez'e cable in this respect. For me it's only noticeable when there's no music.
So the balanced option comes with your new cable..or the v moda cable?post #6396 of 64136/1/13 at 11:32ampost #6397 of 64136/1/13 at 11:37am
That's a loaded question. Typically I'd say that the he400 with it's consistent bass slam would be what most would call more "fun." The MD has more linear bass which more people would call more accurate. With that being said, I have more fun with the MD.post #6398 of 64136/1/13 at 11:41ampost #6399 of 64136/1/13 at 11:47ampost #6400 of 64136/1/13 at 12:01pmpost #6401 of 64136/1/13 at 12:13pmArrived at "the show" early and got to spend time with Jason at the schiit table. Tried out the MD on the Lyr/Bifrost compared to my M/M stack. Noticeable improvement.
Been looking for an open HP to compliment the Mad Dogs, and the HE-500 won me over. Beating out the LCD and HD800 at the table.post #6402 of 64136/1/13 at 12:28pmpost #6403 of 64136/1/13 at 12:35pmpost #6404 of 64136/1/13 at 12:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kamakahah
Arrived at "the show" early and got to spend time with Jason at the schiit table. Tried out the MD on the Lyr/Bifrost compared to my M/M stack. Noticeable improvement.
Been looking for an open HP to compliment the Mad Dogs, and the HE-500 won me over. Beating out the LCD and HD800 at the table.
Hi! I was wondering if you had the chance to demo the HE-6 by any chance? I was also in the market for an open compliment to the MD's, and was stuck between the HE-500, LCD's and HE-6 as potential upgrades and ended up getting the third. I'd love to hear your opinion between the three, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm simply curious.
Don't sweat it if you can't, though, enjoy yourself!post #6405 of 64136/1/13 at 1:28pmQuote:
You make this too difficult.
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Short, Review: AudioFly AF78/m (SFW) 1 minute ago
- › Cello music! 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Audiotechnica ATH-A900X vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 OHM 3 minutes ago
- › Songs for making love... <3 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe