As noted, Headfonia reviewed the older 840 version about a year ago. Pretty much a different beast than what we ship today both sonically and comfort-wise.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best $300 Headphones Last post on 9/20/14 at 10:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Quandry: Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs or ZTH VI - Another Modded T50RP Last post on 1/16/14 at 8:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fostex T40rp/T50rp ZMF and Mad Dog mods vs DT770 for gaming? Last post on 11/22/13 at 8:28am in Headphones (full-size)
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 420
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When I demoed the K550 at best buy (twice) I felt it was a bit too dry and boring for me. It's definitely more tilted towards the treble than the Mad Dog. That, and the K550 lacks power and a bit of extension in the bass.
I'm not sure how much I'd really trust Mike's reviews, to be honest... He reviewed the 840 pad MDs a looong time ago, so his opinions might not be totally accurate.
I used to have the HD600 but I much prefer the MD, the main reason being the bass
It's more clean and detailed on the mad dogs.
Agree on Mike's reviews... Beyond the issue of the older Dog Pad MD pair, most times I hear things pretty close to opposite what he describes in his gear observations.
So I decided to finally get a dap after my cd boombox craped out on my last camping trip. Got the hm-601, but then it was like what headphone do I use? The mad dogs scare me a lil bit cause they're tuned inside. The th-600's are too expensive. The annies are practically boomboxes and mite piss someone off. Then I came across my ancient mdr-7506's that I haven't touched in years and the only thing that was beat-up on them was the earpads. The mad dogs are being worked on so I had the dog pads laying around....
It's not a perfect fit. The dogpads are too big. If you take a small flathead screwdriver the outer edge of the dogpads have a thin rubber ring on the back inside of the pad. If you push into the 7506's ring slot right at that spot the flap kind of double's over and fit's in there nice and tight without allot of curling.
I put mine up in the for sale thread if anyone has interest.
What tubes are you using with the Lyr?
Using the Lyr/MD combo also but I'm on the stock GE's. Ordered some Amperex 60's OG...hopefully it'll improve the sound. Any tube rolling advice? (Not many others using MDs with the Lyr on the tube rolling thread)
You'll see a big improvement with the OG's for sure. I thought the pair that I had sounded wonderful and were a nice improvement across the whole spectrum on the stock tubes.
**la radiotechnica (very pricey)
thanks Matt, sounds like the alpha is a must have...i guess the improve effect on the stock T50rp should be likewise.
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X5 firmware 2.4 download and discussion 20 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Appreciation & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Here is a cable conundrum - Digital or Analogue? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (or M) VS Plantronics Backbeat Pro 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 6 minutes ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3