As noted, Headfonia reviewed the older 840 version about a year ago. Pretty much a different beast than what we ship today both sonically and comfort-wise.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best $300 Headphones Last post on Today at 2:40 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Quandry: Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs or ZTH VI - Another Modded T50RP Last post on 1/16/14 at 8:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp and DAC recommendations for ATH-AD2000X / ATH-AD900 Last post on 11/2/13 at 5:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
As a precautionary remark: this is the first headphone review I have ever written - although I have read a lot of them; moreover these are the first pair of headphones I own in this price class,...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 420
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When I demoed the K550 at best buy (twice) I felt it was a bit too dry and boring for me. It's definitely more tilted towards the treble than the Mad Dog. That, and the K550 lacks power and a bit of extension in the bass.
I'm not sure how much I'd really trust Mike's reviews, to be honest... He reviewed the 840 pad MDs a looong time ago, so his opinions might not be totally accurate.
I used to have the HD600 but I much prefer the MD, the main reason being the bass
It's more clean and detailed on the mad dogs.
Agree on Mike's reviews... Beyond the issue of the older Dog Pad MD pair, most times I hear things pretty close to opposite what he describes in his gear observations.
So I decided to finally get a dap after my cd boombox craped out on my last camping trip. Got the hm-601, but then it was like what headphone do I use? The mad dogs scare me a lil bit cause they're tuned inside. The th-600's are too expensive. The annies are practically boomboxes and mite piss someone off. Then I came across my ancient mdr-7506's that I haven't touched in years and the only thing that was beat-up on them was the earpads. The mad dogs are being worked on so I had the dog pads laying around....
It's not a perfect fit. The dogpads are too big. If you take a small flathead screwdriver the outer edge of the dogpads have a thin rubber ring on the back inside of the pad. If you push into the 7506's ring slot right at that spot the flap kind of double's over and fit's in there nice and tight without allot of curling.
I put mine up in the for sale thread if anyone has interest.
What tubes are you using with the Lyr?
Using the Lyr/MD combo also but I'm on the stock GE's. Ordered some Amperex 60's OG...hopefully it'll improve the sound. Any tube rolling advice? (Not many others using MDs with the Lyr on the tube rolling thread)
You'll see a big improvement with the OG's for sure. I thought the pair that I had sounded wonderful and were a nice improvement across the whole spectrum on the stock tubes.
**la radiotechnica (very pricey)
thanks Matt, sounds like the alpha is a must have...i guess the improve effect on the stock T50rp should be likewise.
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 13 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 57 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Looking for bands/musicians who use unusual or creative... 1 minute ago
- › HIFIMAN HM-601 SLIM 8GB + 32GB Micro SD 40gb Total Excellent... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 1 minute ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 1 minute ago
- › Nordost Heimdall headphone cable 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)