Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 383  

post #5731 of 6388
In any case, it needs to clarified: not all people sell their headphones because they weren't 100% satisfied with them. Somep people just have the urge to try new things.

I've seen it before: people legitimately asking why I praised the Annie but sold it. That's my answer. Doesn't take away the fact that I still feel they're absolutely amazing in almost every single way, and my top recommendation out of everything I've heard in their price range and even higher.
post #5732 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Why do I sell every single headphone I have owned? Surely not because I hated all of them.

I sold them because I wanted to try something new. I sold them for the LCD2, and now I've sold the LCD2 to try the new Kingsound Electrostatic headphone coming out soon.

I'm a fickle person, who needs to constantly try new things, but it doesn't mean I didn't love what I had before. The D7000 is my fave headphone, and I sold them twice.
I completely get this! I'm the same way with gear. It is a big part of the fun for me.
post #5733 of 6388
Gotta
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

You know he's just picking with you.  You took the bait.  ^^^
gotta tease him a little!!
post #5734 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Why do I sell every single headphone I have owned? Surely not because I hated all of them.

I sold them because I wanted to try something new. I sold them for the LCD2, and now I've sold the LCD2 to try the new Kingsound Electrostatic headphone coming out soon.

I'm a fickle person, who needs to constantly try new things, but it doesn't mean I didn't love what I had before. The D7000 is my fave headphone, and I sold them twice.

I'm thinking I might sell my Mad Dogs for the same reason.  Not that I don't like them I do. High quality, very comfortable with the Alpha pads.  The sound could be a little more exciting.  I think I like the V shaped profile a little more.  But  variety, as they say, is the spice of life. 

post #5735 of 6388

My Mad Dogs are staying simply because they're closed. As a college student, my living situation is in constant flux, and you never know when the ergonomics will be needed. For a closed can, these are the most I'm willing to go. Any new fancy headphone I buy will probably be open and then they'll probably gather a little dust (or not!), but if and when I'm suddenly in a housing situation where I'm closed is needed, I spend $30 or so and my Mad Dogs are up to speed. smily_headphones1.gif

post #5736 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark t View Post

I'm thinking I might sell my Mad Dogs for the same reason.  Not that I don't like them I do. High quality, very comfortable with the Alpha pads.  The sound could be a little more exciting.  I think I like the V shaped profile a little more.  But  variety, as they say, is the spice of life. 

Let me know if you want to sell
post #5737 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

My Mad Dogs are staying simply because they're closed. As a college student, my living situation is in constant flux, and you never know when the ergonomics will be needed. For a closed can, these are the most I'm willing to go. Any new fancy headphone I buy will probably be open and then they'll probably gather a little dust (or not!), but if and when I'm suddenly in a housing situation where I'm closed is needed, I spend $30 or so and my Mad Dogs are up to speed. smily_headphones1.gif

 

My situation to a T. As soon as I am off on my own (or am rooming with someone who doesn't mind noise leakage), I'll probably try an open headphone like the AKG or Hifiman models.

 

I have to ask, though (yes, off-topic again, I know): How externally loud are open cans? To be honest, the only open headphone I've ever tried were the Koss PortaPro several years ago, and as far as I know they're only semi-open. Are true open-back cans all that much worse (louder) or not?

 

EDIT: Dawned on me I actually still have the PortaPro's in my sig. Oops!

post #5738 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

 

My situation to a T. As soon as I am off on my own (or am rooming with someone who doesn't mind noise leakage), I'll probably try an open headphone like the AKG or Hifiman models.

 

I have to ask, though (yes, off-topic again, I know): How externally loud are open cans? To be honest, the only open headphone I've ever tried were the Koss PortaPro several years ago, and as far as I know they're only semi-open. Are true open-back cans all that much worse (louder) or not?

 

EDIT: Dawned on me I actually still have the PortaPro's in my sig. Oops!

 

Depends on your listening volume, but in general... yes. 

post #5739 of 6388
First time using my grado sr-60is with my roommate in the room, he thought I was using speakers, lol.
post #5740 of 6388

Just wanted to chime in to say that the MD's were a hit at the Canlanta Meet today. I probably let a dozen people listen to them on my rig and or theirs (these were people who had not heard them). They were all impressed. Three people said that they sounded very similar to the lcd2 and two said they liked them better than the lcd2. 

 

What impressed and surprised me was how the MD scaled with better equipment. I thought that they just wouldn't get much better sounding than with the lyr/bf. Well, I was wrong. There was a guy there with vintage Sansuii receiver and a Marantz sacd player. They took the MD to a different level completely...wow. eek.gif

post #5741 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Just wanted to chime in to say that the MD's were a hit at the Canlanta Meet today. I probably let a dozen people listen to them on my rig and or theirs (these were people who had not heard them). They were all impressed. Three people said that they sounded very similar to the lcd2 and two said they liked them better than the lcd2. 

 

What impressed and surprised me was how the MD scaled with better equipment. I thought that they just wouldn't get much better sounding than with the lyr/bf. Well, I was wrong. There was a guy there with vintage Sansuii receiver and a Marantz sacd player. They took the MD to a different level completely...wow. eek.gif

New audio buy for youwink.gif?

post #5742 of 6388

^^ Probably not. Refurb Sansuii goes for about $900 and the Marantz about the same. mad.gif

post #5743 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Probably not. Refurb Sansuii goes for about $900 and the Marantz about the same. mad.gif

frown.gif

post #5744 of 6388
Get one of the cheaper vintage amps. You won't regret it with the Maddogs. A vintage Onkyo worth $250 works wonders.
post #5745 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Just wanted to chime in to say that the MD's were a hit at the Canlanta Meet today. I probably let a dozen people listen to them on my rig and or theirs (these were people who had not heard them). They were all impressed. Three people said that they sounded very similar to the lcd2 and two said they liked them better than the lcd2. 

What impressed and surprised me was how the MD scaled with better equipment. I thought that they just wouldn't get much better sounding than with the lyr/bf. Well, I was wrong. There was a guy there with vintage Sansuii receiver and a Marantz sacd player. They took the MD to a different level completely...wow. eek.gif

The high end Sansui products from the late '70s were excellent. That being said, Sansui had a lot of variation in quality through their extensive product line, so don't just go out and buy the next vintage sansui you find. If you find the right one though, you can have a really great amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review