Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 363  

post #5431 of 6388

Hey, no worries.  If I did have that kind of money, I wouldn't be spending it on headphones, anyway.  Well, at least, not all of itvery_evil_smiley.gif.

post #5432 of 6388

Just catching up reading the last few weeks of this thread.  Good to know the Slappa hard case fits these.  I asked Dan the day I bought the Mad Dogs and he wasn't sure, but I guess now we know.  For what it's worth, I've been a long-time customer of Slappa (laptop backpack, messenger bag, hardbody CD and DVD cases, and other accessories), and I love their products and I'm psyched that their hard case will fit these, because I've been hating having to leave them at home when I go to work.

post #5433 of 6388

Hi guys, 

 

I've been reading this thread and the great impressions on the MD. I am thinking about buying some, but I see that it is very similar to the LCD2, which I already own and really like. I am also looking to have a closed headphone to replace my beyer dt1350, which I sold due to being very uncomfortable. Would you guys recommend the MDs? I want to have a varied collection of hp's that offer a great range of sound qualities. 

post #5434 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf05 View Post

Hi guys, 

 

I've been reading this thread and the great impressions on the MD. I am thinking about buying some, but I see that it is very similar to the LCD2, which I already own and really like. I am also looking to have a closed headphone to replace my beyer dt1350, which I sold due to being very uncomfortable. Would you guys recommend the MDs? I want to have a varied collection of hp's that offer a great range of sound qualities. 

I wouldn't recommend it if you have LCD 2's unless you need a closed headphone with good isolation that is voiced liked the LCD 2's.

post #5435 of 6388

Fwiw, I love the isolation on my Mad Dogs.

post #5436 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

Ditto Matt's comments.  They are not an open can, and just don't have the same sound stage as a senn HD6xx or other fine open cans.  They may well be the best closed can under $1,000, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Bold statement. What other closed cans sub $1000 have you tried and compared the Mad Dogs to?

 

Yeah, probably bold, and I certainly have not heard an exhaustive list, but I have heard a few - 

 

 

Owned:

 

Headhones:

Mad Dogs $300

Beyerdynamic DT 770 600 ohm $250 to $300?
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 $300
HD25-1 II $250?

Denon AH-D7000  $999
Denon AH-D5000 $500?
Ultrasone HFI 780 $250 - $300?
Audio Technica ESW10jpn $550 - $650

Ultrasone Proline 750 $275-ish

 

IEM's

1964 ears Quads - $550

Fischer DBA-02 $299

Etymotic ER4P/S $200 - $250

Westone 3 $300+

UE Triple.fi10 $200, or $99 on sale around black Friday

Westone UM3X $300

Shure SE530 $350

 

Heard the JVC DX1000 at a meet, the AT ES10 at a meet, The Denon D2000 at a meet, a few others that I forget, and of course anything that you can try at Best Buy - not very good in most cases, but on the other hand, pretty pricy for what you get...

 

Of the list above, the D7000's are very, very good.  Better than the MD's at many things, but the bass is boosted a bit, and the treble is a bit sparkly, and they are definitely "V" shaped and a bit colored.  They are also more refined, less grainy, very comfortable and beautiful.  All in all, a fair headphone to compare to the MD's, at 3 times the price (ok, 2x+ the price when I bought them at a good deal).

 

The ESW10jpn is as good as everyone who has heard them says they are, and more beautiful than pictures do justice.  They are small, sound stage is small, and the build quality does not justify the price they commanded.  I like the Mad Dogs better, but the AT's do give them a run for their money in the midrange.

 

The rest are all easily bested by the Mad Dogs, at least in my opinion.


Edited by aamefford - 4/28/13 at 7:26pm
post #5437 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I would support this claim. Thinking about high end closed hp's...the d7k comes to mind. But the MD is better than that IMO. The MD is more easily comparable to open hp's like the lcd2 and he500. The voicing and mids and treble immediately triggers thoughts of the lcd2 for me. And the bass now while not the equivalent of the lcd2, is true audiophile THUMP. 

Thats... just... no.

I like the balanced sound of the MD, but i feel the D7000 is in a whole other level, as is the LCD2. I mean...seriously.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/28/13 at 9:13pm
post #5438 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I wouldn't recommend it if you have LCD 2's unless you need a closed headphone with good isolation that is voiced liked the LCD 2's.

What other closed headphones on this price range would you recommend that are comfortable as well as detailed. I've been eyeing the Vmoda M100s, but there is something about their look that screams mainstream. 

post #5439 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf05 View Post

What other closed headphones on this price range would you recommend that are comfortable as well as detailed. I've been eyeing the Vmoda M100s, but there is something about their look that screams mainstream. 

It depends what sound signature you're looking for.

post #5440 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf05 View Post

What other closed headphones on this price range would you recommend that are comfortable as well as detailed. I've been eyeing the Vmoda M100s, but there is something about their look that screams mainstream. 

If you are looking for a portable headphone that has a similar sound signature to the LCD-2, I would look into the Sennheiser Momentum. The M-100 are nothing like the LCD-2.
post #5441 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Bold statement. What other closed cans sub $1000 have you tried and compared the Mad Dogs to?

I like my ath w1000x and that's 500 new and 350 used, so there are other closed cans they are well different from the mad dogs, as teh mad dogs are not bad, they are one of many great sub 1000 cans

 

Non the less they are excellent! And I'm egar to retry them with the new revisions and with my solid state! 


Edited by Mshenay - 4/28/13 at 10:23pm
post #5442 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


If you are looking for a portable headphone that has a similar sound signature to the LCD-2, I would look into the Sennheiser Momentum. The M-100 are nothing like the LCD-2.

Thanks for yalls input. I am looking for a good all around closed portable headphone to use when studying at libraries plugged to an rsa mustang amp or a sr71b/solo rig. I already have the LCD-2 and really like it, but I don't necessarily want the same sound signature. I am really leaning towards the mad dogs for their comfort and praise here at the forums, I hope I am not sounding too unclear. 

post #5443 of 6388

Has anyone here done a recable of these?  What wire was used and what were the results?

post #5444 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

 

 

Yeah, probably bold, and I certainly have not heard an exhaustive list, but I have heard a few - 

 

 

Owned:

 

Headhones:

Mad Dogs $300

Beyerdynamic DT 770 600 ohm $250 to $300?
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 $300
HD25-1 II $250?

Denon AH-D7000  $999
Denon AH-D5000 $500?
Ultrasone HFI 780 $250 - $300?
Audio Technica ESW10jpn $550 - $650

Ultrasone Proline 750 $275-ish

 

IEM's

1964 ears Quads - $550

Fischer DBA-02 $299

Etymotic ER4P/S $200 - $250

Westone 3 $300+

UE Triple.fi10 $200, or $99 on sale around black Friday

Westone UM3X $300

Shure SE530 $350

 

Heard the JVC DX1000 at a meet, the AT ES10 at a meet, The Denon D2000 at a meet, a few others that I forget, and of course anything that you can try at Best Buy - not very good in most cases, but on the other hand, pretty pricy for what you get...

 

Of the list above, the D7000's are very, very good.  Better than the MD's at many things, but the bass is boosted a bit, and the treble is a bit sparkly, and they are definitely "V" shaped and a bit colored.  They are also more refined, less grainy, very comfortable and beautiful.  All in all, a fair headphone to compare to the MD's, at 3 times the price (ok, 2x+ the price when I bought them at a good deal).

 

The ESW10jpn is as good as everyone who has heard them says they are, and more beautiful than pictures do justice.  They are small, sound stage is small, and the build quality does not justify the price they commanded.  I like the Mad Dogs better, but the AT's do give them a run for their money in the midrange.

 

The rest are all easily bested by the Mad Dogs, at least in my opinion.

 

Although I would be the first to agree that the Mad Dogs are very good headphones, especially for the price, but there are a few other closed headphones sub $1000 that I prefer over them. The D7000, although not as balanced is definitely more refined, and has a larger soundstage then the Mad Dogs. I would also say that arguably the best closed headphone sub $1000 is the TH-600. I have only heard it once for about an hour, but it is quite similar to the TH-900 and thus being very hard to beat. Other headphones that come to mind that I find to be better than the Mad Dogs include the JVC DX1000, Ultrasone Signature DJ, and Ultrasone Signature Pro. All of these headphones I consider better than the Mad Dogs overall. Obviously this is all in my opinion, and YMMV. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mad Dogs, and what they bring to the table. Especially for the price, they are hard to beat and I can't think of a better closed headphone for $300, maybe not even $600, but they do fall short to those mentioned above. 

 

Basically, for the asking price, even double the asking price the Mad Dogs are sensational maybe the best in the category. But taking on some of the heavier hitters out there in the sub $1000 range is asking a lot and ultimately I feel they do fall short.


Edit: removed the comparsion of the ATH3000ANV since the resell values have skyrocketed making them more than a thousand now. 


Edited by Greed - 4/29/13 at 12:24am
post #5445 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Thats... just... no.

I like the balanced sound of the MD, but i feel the D7000 is in a whole other level, as is the LCD2. I mean...seriously.

 

I knew that you take issue with that. In fairness, you are very partial to the d7k. Also, you didn't hear the latest build. For me the old denon line got better and better but always had a V curve not matter how refined it became with the d7k. I'm not the first and only to notice the comparisons to the lcd2. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf05 View Post

What other closed headphones on this price range would you recommend that are comfortable as well as detailed. I've been eyeing the Vmoda M100s, but there is something about their look that screams mainstream. 

 

The m100 is more of a "fun" hp. Tyll really it but not as audiophile equipment...more for "fun" as he kept saying. That's was my take on that article anyway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review