or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 353  

post #5281 of 6388

For any of you in the NYC area with Dog Pads or 840 pads, I will bring some pads and upgrade parts with me and upgrade at the meet in Babylon on Saturday, if you want to "go Alpha."  I'll only charge for the pads, any tuning is gratis.

 

For owners of Alpha Pad upgraded Dog Pads or Alpha Pads bring your phones by for a sound check and tune up should you wish.  It'll be free.  

post #5282 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

I just received mine today and took them out for a brief test drive with a J3 and E17. They sound very nice, but the E17 doesn't pack enough juice. I could get decent volume, but I can tell they need a bit more muscle behind them (E09K + E17?). What they say about the Alpha Pads is true: it's like having a buttery-soft leather sofa strapped to your head - they are extremely comfortable.

 

RE: "E09K + E17" :: Let me save you the trouble.  I'd recommend "no".  And this coming from a guy who usually likes [and defends] everything he commits to own...

 

IMO the MD thru the E09K sounds dry & somewhat lifeless, with a good deal of bass roll-off at least on Hi-Gain; all is a bit better with the E09K on low-gain but then you're not getting much more gain than the E17 alone and I'd still categorize it as mid-fi sound verging on low-fi.  Some headphones suites a high output impedance amp, others don't.  And from this little experiment I'm feeling the MD falls into the camp of the latter.  But all this doesn't stand only for the MD.  I think my E09K is going to be relegated as a convenient charging station for the E17, or a Notebook -> DAC -> Line-out device.  I'm not too thrilled with it in general as a head-amp using the 1/4" output plug as you can tell.  While the E17 throws "you get what you pay for" on its head being perhaps the best value for the performance you get out there , the E09K pretty much fits the saying perfectly..


Edited by m8o - 4/18/13 at 11:49am
post #5283 of 6388

Increasing the clamping force by slightly bending the headband seems to be improving things for me redface.gif

post #5284 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunneLVisioN42 View Post

I'm running my MD's off an O2/Odac, I was wondering did anyone find the MD's not as dark as they were expecting? I have some CAL!'s and my friend has some LCD-2's that I am going to A/B with today but my first impressions are that maybe for my tastes the mids/upper mids might be a little to front and center for my tastes? like many say I do notice that the LCD-2's have more weight to the sound and better separation but I am IN NO WAY saying the MD's are "bad" the LCD's do cost 700 dollars more...

It sounds REALLY good for a lot of my acoustic stuff and some of metal tracks that are lighter on drums, but for my electronic stuff and harder hitting metal tracks with a lot of drums the lower frequency's leave me a little wanting because the upper mid's seem to be jumping out at me more than I expected they would and to me at least they don't sound as warm as I was expecting.

This is all subject to change though because I am playing around with seal/clamping force, this may be why they sound kind of weightless to me, if you have previous experience with closed headphones and play around with them until you get that perfect seal I think you will know what I mean, I do have to say these are the most sensitive headphones to seal I have had.

I definitely think that the Mad Dogs are closer to neutral than being dark. I will say that coming from a pair of Brainwavz B2's and Grado SR-60i's, the Mad Dogs are definitely relatively dark. 

 

I certainly agree with you that sometimes double-bass is certainly not as rumbly as I like it. Not thin and clicky... they're neutral, but not as authoritative as other sets I've tried. As a drummer especially, the fact that guitars are more forward in the mix than drums makes me wanting a little more percussive presence.

 

I feel that EQing the extreme ends of the spectrum helps bring drums out more with the aforementioned bass drum and a little more cymbal sparkle.

post #5285 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

I definitely think that the Mad Dogs are closer to neutral than being dark. I will say that coming from a pair of Brainwavz B2's and Grado SR-60i's, the Mad Dogs are definitely relatively dark. 

 

I certainly agree with you that sometimes double-bass is certainly not as rumbly as I like it. Not thin and clicky... they're neutral, but not as authoritative as other sets I've tried. As a drummer especially, the fact that guitars are more forward in the mix than drums makes me wanting a little more percussive presence.

 

I feel that EQing the extreme ends of the spectrum helps bring drums out more with the aforementioned bass drum and a little more cymbal sparkle.

More cymbal sparkle? My cymbals already sound a little too Hissy for my preference but the low end is getting better to me for sure, after making a few changes Dan recommended things are getting better and my ears are adjusting but overall right now it still sounds a bit off for my prefrences

post #5286 of 6388

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

post #5287 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I think the only real thing the MD's share in common with the LCD's is their voicing. Apart from that I think the LCD's are on another level completely with their tonality & extension on either side of the spectrum.

post #5288 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post

 

RE: "E09K + E17" :: Let me save you the trouble.  I'd recommend "no".  And this coming from a guy who usually likes [and defends] everything he commits to own...

 

IMO the MD thru the E09K sounds dry & somewhat lifeless, with a good deal of bass roll-off at least on Hi-Gain; all is a bit better with the E09K on low-gain but then you're not getting much more gain than the E17 alone and I'd still categorize it as mid-fi sound verging on low-fi.  Some headphones suites a high output impedance amp, others don't.  And from this little experiment I'm feeling the MD falls into the camp of the latter.  But all this doesn't stand only for the MD.  I think my E09K is going to be relegated as a convenient charging station for the E17, or a Notebook -> DAC -> Line-out device.  I'm not too thrilled with it in general as a head-amp using the 1/4" output plug as you can tell.  While the E17 throws "you get what you pay for" on its head being perhaps the best value for the performance you get out there , the E09K pretty much fits the saying perfectly..

 

Thanks for the advice. I wish this were not the case since the E09K is pretty cheap and docks with the E17. Can you think of an amp/dac that would do justice to the MDs?

post #5289 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I think the only real thing the MD's share in common with the LCD's is their voicing. Apart from that I think the LCD's are on another level completely with their tonality & extension on either side of the spectrum.

x2

I really like the MD, but LCD2s they are not.
post #5290 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

Nice impressions, mech! Agreed very much so with your findings.

post #5291 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Nice impressions, mech! Agreed very much so with your findings.

 

Same here.  Thanks for posting.  I think para and I seem to be on the more extreme end regarding the MD vs LCD-2 impressions.  For a minute there we owned most of the same headphones.  I may have gone even a little more extreme in that I just sold my LCD-3 but still have two pairs of Mad Dogs.

post #5292 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

Same here.  Thanks for posting.  I think para and I seem to be on the more extreme end regarding the MD vs LCD-2 impressions.  For a minute there we owned most of the same headphones.  I may have gone even a little more extreme in that I just sold my LCD-3 but still have two pairs of Mad Dogs.

We're just the few that don't have wax in our ears. tongue.gif

post #5293 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

 

So, is Project H still an exclusive amp, or are orders being taken now?

post #5294 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I think the only real thing the MD's share in common with the LCD's is their voicing. Apart from that I think the LCD's are on another level completely with their tonality & extension on either side of the spectrum.

I completely understand; to each their own. I knew that when I wrote that review. I guess it just depends on what each person hears with their own ears though. beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

Nice impressions, mech! Agreed very much so with your findings.

Thanks! It was great to be able to hear the LCD2s, but to be honest, at the end of last night when I needed to struggle through the last part of my class notes, I reached for the MDs instead of the LCD2s, purely based on me feeling the MD is more comfortable. smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Nice impressions, mech! Agreed very much so with your findings.

 

Same here.  Thanks for posting.  I think para and I seem to be on the more extreme end regarding the MD vs LCD-2 impressions.  For a minute there we owned most of the same headphones.  I may have gone even a little more extreme in that I just sold my LCD-3 but still have two pairs of Mad Dogs.

Wow, that's quite amazing! Is the reason you sold your LCD3s because the MD is closed back but the LCDXs are open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

 

So, is Project H still an exclusive amp, or are orders being taken now?

It was a limited run of 10. B1o may be doing more of them in the future though depending on a few things.

post #5295 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

 

... (Click to show)

 

I completely understand; to each their own. I knew that when I wrote that review. I guess it just depends on what each person hears with their own ears though. beerchug.gif

Thanks! It was great to be able to hear the LCD2s, but to be honest, at the end of last night when I needed to struggle through the last part of my class notes, I reached for the MDs instead of the LCD2s, purely based on me feeling the MD is more comfortable. smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Wow, that's quite amazing! Is the reason you sold your LCD3s because the MD is closed back but the LCDXs are open?

 

... (Click to show)

It was a limited run of 10. B1o may be doing more of them in the future though depending on a few things.

 

 

Well, I sold my LCD-3 mostly because the HD800 and HE-6 are more suited to my particular tastes.  But comfort and isolation play no small part in why the Mad Dogs are indispensable in my collection.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review