Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 345  

post #5161 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

Wow, is this going to happen again. Where is the thread on this topic? And are you not concerned about the ear pads being compressed 24/7?

There actually is no compression of the pads. I thought there would be, but no. The deal will happen again. It's on a group buy site though and the mods here aren't fond of us posting those links.
post #5162 of 6388

I can not find any omega stand that is in dark/brown to match the living room design so I use a black aluminium headphone stand  shaped the same as the omega ones. Costs around 30$ on ebay and other sites.

post #5163 of 6388
Got a link to that?
post #5164 of 6388
hmm can not find the ones I have as it ia from a local store. This is similar but quite pricey almost at the cost of the wooden ones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Black-Headphone-stand-Support-For-Sennheiser-Beyerdynami-GRADO-Monster-/321056897547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac07b7a0b
post #5165 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


If the wood aesthetic isn't a big priority, you can always get this for $28 with free shipping... Not like the branding is very visible while the headphones are on display, and it'll probably outlast wood. tongue.gif It's very thick plexi, very sturdy, I thought about wrapping mine in something before it arrived but it looks fine as is in my living room.

 

Thanks for the recommendation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


There actually is no compression of the pads. I thought there would be, but no. The deal will happen again. It's on a group buy site though and the mods here aren't fond of us posting those links.

 

I looked on that website and see some are not very satisfied with their purchase (scratches, chipping...). How did yours fair?

post #5166 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Depends on your budget. The Mjolnir is always a nice choice, as is the Vioelectric V200. Audio Gd products garner much praise (though I'll never recommend 'em, personally),

and then there's the Schiit statement amp. Which is going to be quite special.

 

Let's say $400-$500...seeing that my Mad Dog's don't have balanced inputs.

post #5167 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

I looked on that website and see some are not very satisfied with their purchase (scratches, chipping...). How did yours fair?

Flawless, and came packaged very well, but apparently YMMV.
post #5168 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


Flawless, and came packaged very well, but apparently YMMV.

 

Mine came in in excellent condition as well. It was shipped double boxed and encased in a velour-ish bag. No imperfections on it but it was slightly dusty, probably from the factory. I simply wiped it down and it looked fine. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered a second. The only downside was waiting for them to get manufactured in China.

post #5169 of 6388

Just received my Mad Dogs. Excellent craftsmanship and build quality.

 

A few questions:

 

1) do these puppies need any burn-in?

2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

post #5170 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by adani View Post

Just received my Mad Dogs. Excellent craftsmanship and build quality.

 

A few questions:

 

1) do these puppies need any burn-in?

2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

I'd be curious to hear some input on burn in from users who have had them awhile.  I have had mine playing pretty much non stop since I got them on Monday.  Waiting on USPS now to deliver my Magni and hoping for the best.  Will update once I have done a bit of listening with the Magni attached.

post #5171 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by adani View Post

Just received my Mad Dogs. Excellent craftsmanship and build quality.

 

A few questions:

 

1) do these puppies need any burn-in?

2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

 

As these are planar magnetic drivers there won't be much burn in at all. Well, since burn in is mostly your ears adjusting, there will be some :) 

 

I believe you are referencing the Vmoda cable. It is a good quality cable. Strong and sturdy to say the least. The different sonic characters of cables is something I don't want to get into, that could be a mess. 

post #5172 of 6388

So I just added the Magni into my stack ( was previously using the headphone in on my Titanium HD ) -- all I can say is *WOW*!!!!! HUGE difference.  The cans sounded great before and they opened up immensely with the addition of the Magni. Very, very impressed.

post #5173 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by adani View Post

1) do these puppies need any burn-in?

2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

In terms of sound science, they jury's still out on whether any planar magnetic changes in character with burn-in. However, you'll find yourself enjoying them more as your ears grow accustomed to them nonetheless.

 

The V-Moda cable is pretty strong and doesn't have any significant discernible difference in SQ from the Fostex cable, but if you fold it up in the same way too often it can lead to shape memory.

post #5174 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


Flawless, and came packaged very well, but apparently YMMV.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

 

Mine came in in excellent condition as well. It was shipped double boxed and encased in a velour-ish bag. No imperfections on it but it was slightly dusty, probably from the factory. I simply wiped it down and it looked fine. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered a second. The only downside was waiting for them to get manufactured in China.

 

Mine came a couple days ago as well. It was in pretty good shape. A few rough spots, so I sanded mine and added 3 coats of wax.

 

 

post #5175 of 6388

Just wanted to say thank you Dan for an excellent headphone. The Mad Dog is the winner for me, the hE-400 is going back.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review